Forums > Game Forums > Hugo's House of Horrors > Hugo's House of Horror Trilogy

Edwin Drost (9479) on 2/4/2017 3:37 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I'm not sure where to put this, but there's also another Trilogy of the Hugo's House of Horror that I have in my collections for years;

It's from Chestnut and from 1993.

Rwolf (22827) on 2/4/2017 4:16 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The existing release of the trilogy is much later, and may be a port to other platforms, or simply a dosbox wrapper for the original games. Not much information about it here.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/hugo-trilogy

I'm not sure if this bundle could be extended to include the plain DOS versions, but I suspect it needs another entry, for the DOS versions only? (The newer re-release had point&click interface added)

Edwin Drost (9479) on 2/4/2017 6:47 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

What about ;

New entry:

Hugo House of Horrors: Trilogy

Description:

In 1993 CDRP, Inc. published a compilation of the three games on one CD-ROM that contains;

Vol. I: House of Horrors

Vol. II: Who Dunnit?

Vol. III: Jungle of Doom

A later release in 2014 that was released by Gray Design Associates and distributed GOG Limited, the compilation was re-named as The Hugo Trilogy and for the Linux, Windows and Macintosh.

Although this compilation has only the original command line interface, the later re-release has both the classic command line interface and a new point-and-click mouse based interface. Releases:

Published by: Gray Design Associates

Released: 1993

Platform: DOS

DOS:

Distributed by: CDRP, Inc.

Release Date: 1993

Comments:

Or all together as one:

Releases:

Released: 1993 (re-released in 2014 as The Hugo Trilogy)

Platform: DOS, Linux, Windows and Macintosh

DOS:

Distributed by: CDRP, Inc.

Release Date: 1993

Comments:

Linux:

Published by: Gray Design Associates.

Distributed by: GOG Limited.

. Release Date: Aug 19, 2014

. Comments: GOG release

Macintosh:

Release Date: Aug 19, 2014

Comments: GOG release

Windows:

Release Date: Aug 19, 2014

Comments: GOG release

Rwolf (22827) on 2/4/2017 7:34 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

For me, that works fine for this type of re-release/bundle. Nothing else in the game is changed, I assume, with the GoG version. Try it and see if someone objects.

Edwin Drost (9479) on 2/5/2017 1:08 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Done. I made a whole new entry (As far I have seen there's no good way to edit and change the whole game entry) that combined everything in one game entry. If you know what I mean.

I will scan/picture the front/back/insert/CD-ROM next.

EDIT: Or could there be a possibility that Chestnut CD-ROM is the publisher/distributor? On the back (and somewhat mentioned in the inner sleeve) of the jewel case says that CDRP, Inc. is the publisher of Chestnut CD-ROMs. So...

Edwin Drost (9479) on 2/6/2017 9:03 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Okay. I'm confused. (maybe it is just the caffeine..or the lack of it) a separately entry?

PS: Sorry about this. I'm usually more into this, but it has been a long day. (it feels like my brains are fried)

Rwolf (22827) on 2/6/2017 10:21 PM · Permalink · Report

It says Chestnut is a brand (=label) only, so CDRP would be the publisher, as far as I understand.

Edwin Drost (9479) on 2/6/2017 10:33 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Aha. I knew it. Thanks.

PS: Could you please help and explain in the other topic Huh?

Rwolf (22827) on 2/6/2017 11:08 PM · Permalink · Report

umm...what other topic? Something about this bundle? (I'm just another contributor really, so if there is a problem, I can't help directly)

Edwin Drost (9479) on 2/6/2017 11:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Well...One of the approvers told me to "submit the DOS version first, and then if the re-release is called something different and has different functionality, you could add it as a separate entry?"

Okay. Does that mean I have to make this into DOS and make a separate game entry (new one?) with the The Hugo Trilogy?

I was a bit confused and so I just went back and removed the Linux, Windows and the Mac of the list and will be remove in SEVEN days. (Although I still have to put in the dates of the Linux, Windows and the Mac) But I'm not sure in about all this.

Is there a way to cancel the process of remove of the system and all?

Tracy Poff (2094) on 2/7/2017 5:45 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Since we have kept the DOS and Windows versions of the first game together in one entry, it seems reasonable to keep the DOS version of the trilogy with the other platform versions.

In that case, what you would want to do is go to the existing entry for the trilogy and contribute a new platform (using the "New Platform" link on the Contribute page). Choose DOS, and fill in the release information. Then when the new platform is approved you'll be able to add the cover art, etc.

Edwin Drost (9479) on 2/7/2017 8:00 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

So, that means I have to abandon a whole hard work of a new entry of those two combined and NOW just have to add this to the The Hugo Trilogy?

The thing is that this was named Hugo's house of horror and from 1993. So would not it be more appropriate that this came first in main and releases? If you know what I mean.

Is there just a way to keep my work and be just and only DOS?

Edit: Sorry, if I come over like that, but I don't feel that well. Thank you for helping me out.

Rwolf (22827) on 2/7/2017 11:10 AM · Permalink · Report

'Your' title in this case would be an alternate title.

You have the option of adding a separate DOS entry if the game is different enough, or add the new platform to the existing bundled entry (I'd do the latter).

This of course also requires editing the description as you suggested to point out the minor differences between platforms, and adding the alternate title as a separate contribution.

On occasions when I mistakenly added the wrong platform and then deleted it, I just added dummy year/dates to get past the publishing entries for the removed platform, and also added a reminder 'dummy entry' in the comments on that page.

Edwin Drost (9479) on 2/7/2017 2:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Okay. What to do with my new entry that has combined the all four platforms? (well, had...the three platforms have been removed) Should I cancel it then?

Rwolf (22827) on 2/7/2017 2:16 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, pull it back from your submissions (if submitted) and abandon it.

(Don't feel bad about that, it takes a while to learn the ropes here, and I've abandoned a fair share of my first attempts to redo it in a better way)

Edwin Drost (9479) on 2/7/2017 2:28 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

So I have to put this in the Description, right? (just to make sure)

In 1993 CDRP, Inc. published a compilation of the three games on one CD-ROM that contains;

Vol. I: House of Horrors

Vol. II: Who Dunnit?

Vol. III: Jungle of Doom

A later release in 2014 that was released by Gray Design Associates and distributed GOG Limited, the compilation was re-named as The Hugo Trilogy and for the Linux, Windows and Macintosh.

Although this compilation has only the original command line interface, the later re-release has both the classic command line interface and a new point-and-click mouse based interface.

Rwolf (22827) on 2/7/2017 3:03 PM · Permalink · Report

You could perhaps change the

'Although this compilation has...'

to

'The original compilation has...."

and follow with the rest of your sentence as is.

(IMO of course)

Tracy Poff (2094) on 2/7/2017 3:55 PM · Permalink · Report

So, that means I have to abandon a whole hard work of a new entry of those two combined and NOW just have to add this to the The Hugo Trilogy?

Sorry for the lost effort. If there were some substantial difference between the two, e.g. different included games or major differences between the different versions, then adding a new entry would have been the right thing to do. It just looks to me like there aren't such large differences, based on the description you gave and my memory of playing both the DOS and Windows versions of the first game.

The thing is that this was named Hugo's house of horror and from 1993. So would not it be more appropriate that this came first in main and releases? If you know what I mean.

Absolutely. When you add the new release with the earlier date, then the main page for the game should begin displaying that earlier information. Additionally, since your release is earlier, the title of the game should come from your release. So, when you submit the platform, you can add a note to the approver asking them to change the main title of the game and add the current title as an alternate.

Edwin Drost (9479) on 2/7/2017 4:02 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Oh. I knew that I forgot something. Writing about asking them to change the main title of the game and add the current title as an alternate. I did wrote that this is the original name of the compilation in 1993.

Edit: It seems that (I just remembered) that I called it: Hugo's House of Horrors, because of that is how it is/was called. It could bring some confusion with the first game that has the same name, ah? Hugo's House of Horrors: Trilogy?

Rwolf (22827) on 2/7/2017 5:12 PM · Permalink · Report

It's the box cover name that rules them all...