🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Chrome > Why is walking so hard in this game?

chirinea (47495) on 4/13/2012 1:11 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

So, I installed this and the character physics is driving me nuts! I feel like controlling Robocop in Robocop 2. The guy is bizarrely affected by inertia which makes it a torment to start walking. If I'm standing and I want to move fast from the sight of an enemy, it takes ages for the guy to start moving. Is there any way to change it, a mod or maybe a patch? I usually don't like modding, but this game craves for it.

Also, why is this game so hard? I'm playing on the medium difficulty and I have to quicksave every couple of enemies I kill. Sometimes you unload a whole clip toward the upper torso/head of the enemy and he simply refuses to die. I went to read a walkthrough to see if I was missing any kind of special way of playing and the guy said the Prologue is "fairly easy". Hell, I haven't beat it yet because it is really tedious to die and reload every 5 seconds.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 4/13/2012 5:48 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Is it? I don't remember being bothered by it, although I remember being bothered by the difficulty as well. I think I switched to easy myself, if there is such an option.

edit: actually I remember that for a big portion of the game I also used God mode, so there. I constantly switched it off/on to see how I fare by myself. I can't say it gets easier.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 4/13/2012 6:16 AM · Permalink · Report

I didn't have a problem with walking, but also with the difficulty during the start of the game. After the first two levels I didn't die that often, at least against regular enemies. I think it is a good idea to aim for the head.

The successor, however, is much worse. I stopped playing it after a few levels because of its unfair difficulty.

chirinea (47495) on 4/15/2012 12:28 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, I try to aim for the head, and the game is easier when you approach the bad guys from a distance. The second level was a bit easier, I'm entering the third level right now. As for the walking, still feels shitty, but there's no solution, so be it.

Rola (8483) on 4/19/2012 5:42 PM · Permalink · Report

I guess it's because they've used their own engine instead of, say, modified Quake3. We're used to, say, the abilty to steer while in mid-jump in some games, so if another goes with different approach - even if it would be more realistic - it triggers "something is wrong" in our brain. I had walking/running/jumping issues in many games for this reason.

chirinea (47495) on 4/20/2012 2:22 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rola wrote--]I guess it's because they've used their own engine instead of, say, modified Quake3. We're used to, say, the abilty to steer while in mid-jump in some games, so if another goes with different approach - even if it would be more realistic - it triggers "something is wrong" in our brain. I had walking/running/jumping issues in many games for this reason. [/Q --end Rola wrote--]I'm ok with trying to be more realistic, but this is exactly the problem with this game: the walking isn't realistic. In real life, if I want to quickly move sideways to avoid an object, I can do it without much effort, and I won't perceive much acceleration in my movement. Moving your character in this game is like moving a supermarket cart full of stuff: at first you put all your strength and the think barely moves, but then it gains some momentum and keeps moving with much less effort. But you're supposed to be moving a human being, not a supermarket cart.

Rola (8483) on 4/20/2012 4:07 PM · Permalink · Report

OK, my fault, I should've made a one line break after the first sentence, as the rest wasn't said about Chrome. Heck, I haven't played this game in 6 years, and even back then I wasn't impressed (another half-hearted generic sci-fi shooter, at least not as bad as Mortyr...).