🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Requiem: Avenging Angel > Sound solution?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 5/13/2010 2:52 PM · Permalink · Report

Guys, if any of you know how to have proper sound for this game, please let me know... sound effects and voices stutter like crazy. I tested it on two machines, modern one and P3. Both Win XP, but I tried 98 compatibility, of course. Both have exactly the same problem. I also tried 2 different CDs of the game, so it's not scratches or something... Audio music works fine, but what is read from the hard drive stutters...

All patches installed. I tried changing sound hardware acceleration, playing in Direct3D mode, software mode, every possible resolution - nothing helps. Thanks in advance!

formercontrib (157508) on 5/13/2010 3:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Those XP/Vista optimated ones you have tried for sure, or: http://expertload.com/?mod=search&wmid=63&q=Requiem+Avenging+Angel+Optimalized+for+XP+vista+7z&hl=DE

Latest official should be those one, adding DX8 support too: http://www.gameswelt.de/downloads/patches/355-Requiem_Avenging_Angel_-_Patch_v1.3.html

or

http://www.fileplanet.com/36575/0/0/0/section/Patches

If all those won't help, i'm afraid you should run it under a native 98 pc, i'm sure you won't have those problems there.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 5/13/2010 3:20 PM · Permalink · Report

Tried all of those. The game works under XP, that's not the problem. The problem is only this awful sound... I can't concentrate on the game with this awful sound... Arrrrgh...

formercontrib (157508) on 5/13/2010 3:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Sure, but because DirectSound is part of DirectX, perhaps it don't like actual versions DX9 and above.

Have you tried the standard thingie that often works for it ? Hardware acceleration slow-down ?

Puuh, i sure you know where and how, i only have german XP installed.

You should find it...

Start --> System Control Panel --> Multimedia --> Audo --> perhaps "Audio Playback" --> Properties --> there you find this slider - that stays for normal on maximum (right side), you can pull it bit for bit to the left (test each adjustment before lower more, causes no problems) ... but don't forget afterwards to bring it back to it's standard (normally maximum).

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 5/13/2010 4:03 PM · Permalink · Report

Hardware acceleration slow-down ?

Tried it, bro. Nothing helps. The best I can do is have decent sound when the game runs in software mode... and looks AWFUL. Absolutely awful. Arrrrrr....

BurningStickMan (17916) on 5/13/2010 7:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Another reason to have a dedicated Windows 95/98 machine. DOS games have gotten a lot of emulation attention, Win95... not so much.

Found mine in a trash pile. It's worth keeping one around.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 5/14/2010 3:56 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm currently installing Windows 98 on a virtual hard drive in Microsoft Virtual PC software. Let's see how it goes. For some reason nobody mentions this as a valid solution for playing older games... am I wasting my time?

Adzuken (836) on 5/14/2010 4:12 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

You might be. A big problem that occurs when going back to an older operating system is the lack of drivers for new hardware. I'm not sure what kind of hardware you might be running, but I don't think they have Windows 98 drivers for ATI 4870's or whatever. Then again, I'm not sure what Virtual PC is, so I could be totally mistaken.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 5/14/2010 6:31 AM · Permalink · Report

Frustratingly, yes. You are wasting your time. For some damn fool reason, Virtual PC running Win98 gives the exact same issues as if you weren't running it on VPC at all. I assume it has something to do with it all going through the same hardware and drivers eventually.

I think the only game I ever got to work on VPC was Diablo. Other than that, every game that didn't work on WinXP didn't work in VPC and worked a treat on a real Win98 box. VPC isn't even as good at emulating a DOS system as DOSBox is!

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 5/14/2010 7:08 AM · Permalink · Report

... ... ...

I should've asked you guys before wasting my time on this thing...

So I installed Requiem, and then it tells me I don't have a 3D graphics card. Whaddaya mean I don't have a 3D graphics card? GeForce 8800 is not 3D?.. Then I found out that the damn software only emulates some crappy non-accelerator PCI card from decades ago. All I could do was run Requiem in software mode; but I could do the same thing on XP! Damn it!!.. I wasted so much time!..

Slug Camargo (583) on 5/14/2010 4:07 AM · Permalink · Report

Heh, I remember having to run this very same game in software, but in my case it was because the hardware I had back then couldn't run it in hardware =P

And what are you doing playing this, of all things?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 5/14/2010 4:33 AM · Permalink · Report

And what are you doing playing this, of all things?

FPS phase. Moving chronologically through all shooters that look interesting to me. Requiem is next after Half-Life, which I already played.

Sciere (930525) on 5/14/2010 8:39 AM · Permalink · Report

Also, we're curiously still missing the credits for this done. That doesn't happen much with PC shooters.

formercontrib (157508) on 5/14/2010 12:05 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, they should appear in the game. In the manual - at least in the european versions - are none, otherwise i would have entered them long ago.