🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Requiem: Avenging Angel > Did you play it?

St. Martyne (3648) on 7/6/2007 1:57 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Have anybody actually played this game? What do you think? It seems to be a very underated title to me so far. Very creative level design and the whole disutopian-world-with- a-bit-of-religion-thrown-in certainly hits the right spot.

xroox (3895) on 7/6/2007 2:35 PM · Permalink · Report

I haven't played it, but it was always one of those games I was intrigued by. I like the style of the game's graphics and it sounds like it has a couple of interesting little features to set it apart from other FPS.

Slug Camargo (583) on 7/7/2007 4:01 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Wow, Requiem, long time no see!

I did play it, and finished it too. As a shooter it was pretty average, and the promising story sort of crumbles down towards the end; but even to this day I don't think I've seen a game with cooler "special powers". Throughout the last couple of levels -once you have all your angelic abilities on- you could do so much crazy stuff it's almost impossible to get bored.

I never understood how is it that no other shooter copied Requiem's "possession" afterwards; that's probably the coolest power ever.

Also, it featured bullet-time two years before Max Payne ;) (albeit a pretty crappy implementation, to be honest)

PS: If you need help beating Lilith, just give me a shout. That fight can be a problem if you don't know the trick.

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 7/7/2007 8:45 AM · Permalink · Report

[[Q --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--] I never understood how is it that no other shooter copied Requiem's "possession" afterwards; that's probably the coolest power ever. [/Q --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--] Sounds like one of the abilities in Psi Ops.

St. Martyne (3648) on 7/8/2007 4:36 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--]

I never understood how is it that no other shooter copied Requiem's "possession" afterwards; that's probably the coolest power ever.

[/Q --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--]

Have you played Messiah? That was a key-feature there. It's not technically a FPS, but plays like one. Also soul changing was in Omikron.

As for Requiem didn't have much expectations and it was a pain in the ass to get running on XP, but the intro level just blew my mind off. All these screams and disfigured bodies really set the mood.

Stylistically this game is very similar to the afore-mentioned Messiah. But there are no cute baby-angels in this one. Which is a definite plus in my book.

St. Martyne (3648) on 7/16/2007 10:21 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--] PS: If you need help beating Lilith, just give me a shout. That fight can be a problem if you don't know the trick. [/Q --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--]

Had no problem beating Lilith. But I can't beat Lucifer. Is there a trick involved with this one too?

Slug Camargo (583) on 7/17/2007 2:25 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start St_Martyne wrote--] [Q2 --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--] PS: If you need help beating Lilith, just give me a shout. That fight can be a problem if you don't know the trick. [/Q2 --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--]

Had no problem beating Lilith. But I can't beat Lucifer. Is there a trick involved with this one too? [/Q --end St_Martyne wrote--] Really? Lilith was a pain in the ass to even realize what the hell to do. I know people who dropped the game forever just for that fight.

As for Lucifer, I don't remember there being any secret, just straight out beating the shit out of him. Although I do remember applying a "god mode" cheat because I found it to be impossibly annoying.

St. Martyne (3648) on 7/17/2007 5:26 AM · Permalink · Report

Bah... Had to cheat also. It seems that there is no weapon matching the power of rocket launcher. So once you're out of rockets it would take like eternity to beat Lucifer with the shotgun. With a help of an ammo cheat I kicked the hell out of him in less than 5 minutes. As for Lilith I just put her tail on fire with a Brimstone spell and then hide behind the pillar waiting for my mana to replenish. Still it took about half an hour before she died.

All in all a pretty lame and average game. With the cool intro level, you couldn't suspect that you had to spend to whole game in some featureless industrial catacombs fighting the same types of gunmen over and over again. And even special powers don't save the day. Once you get hold of the rocket launcher they don't worth the bother.

HandofShadow (49) on 8/17/2007 11:45 AM · Permalink · Report

I only ever played the demo, and I really dug it. I never played the full game because, oddly enough, I never could find a copy in any store. I can only assume it was such a commercial failure that no one bothered to stock it. Heh, and if I managed to find a copy these days, I'd have to hack the hell out of it for it to run in WinXP.

St. Martyne (3648) on 8/17/2007 12:40 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah. It was pretty tiresome to get it running. I had to install one patch and two fixes for it to start.