🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines > Odd Vampire at Cafe?

Indra was here (20755) on 7/23/2007 1:49 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm restarting the game due to complete boredom. Anyways, does anyone remember the restaurant cafe, between the club and bounty office in Santa Monica? At the beginning of the game, there is a dude standing inside the cafe. You have very limited conversation options. I don't think he shows up anymore. If you attack the person, he turns into an over-sized bat.

Is this a mission that I am not aware of?

Donatello (466) on 7/23/2007 3:38 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

You'll meet him later on. ;) He is part of a quest, yes.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/23/2007 5:41 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--]I'm restarting the game due to complete boredom. [/Q --end Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--]

Poor guy! I have some 20 unplayed games in queue, and I'm so eager to play them... I wish I had more time...

Slug Camargo (583) on 7/24/2007 4:35 AM · Permalink · Report

Ah, every time you guys start talking about this game I wanna go and play it again so I can finish it for good. But then I remember the memory leaks and whatnot, and it sort of kills the thrill :( Man, it crawls badly.

Also, I'm pretty certain that VTM - B killed my monitor. Just like it happened to my hero, only with another game. And it sort of scares me.

Indra was here (20755) on 7/24/2007 6:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Masquerade (unpatched) version works fine with Core 2 Duo. They should've put that in the recommended requirements. Hah. Does still tend to crash once in awhile though. But at least it doesn't go Matrix on me.

Donatello (466) on 7/24/2007 6:51 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Maybe that's why it didn't crash on my computer, some slowdowns and that's all. I have a dual core processor.

Btw Indra, how far have you gotten in Bloodlines? Nice avatar. ;)

Indra was here (20755) on 7/24/2007 7:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Now not far. Still in Hollywood on my way to butcher some 2 legged monster smut actors. The furtherest I've played in Bloodlines was meeting Von Vampire Hunter (what's his name), rescuing some archeologist professor before the game permanently crashed on me.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/25/2007 3:51 AM · Permalink · Report

meeting Von Vampire Hunter (what's his name)

Bach. And that's a known bug, you really must patch the game.

St. Martyne (3648) on 7/25/2007 7:13 AM · Permalink · Report

Just started playing it once again. The last time I tried it was virtually unplayable in the monastery or something where you get by boat.

I chose Malkavian female this time around. And, man, the responses she has are so great! I can't believe I've missed all of these when I played the last time. "My mind left. My body follows. " instead of generic "See you later.", for example.

Genius!

What characters have you played with? Has anybody actually played with Nosferatu? It seems that they're the most difficult race to play with, having to constantly hide from people's eyes.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 7/25/2007 10:56 AM · Permalink · Report

You'll be happy to know then that the guy behind the Malkavian responses is still working in the games industry after he lost his job in Troika due to the company bankrupting. In fact he's in Obsidian right now, lead designing a currently unannounced game... Project something.

Could be a brilliant thing. The Ocean Hotel was also his thing... the way he did it was just brilliant. There wasn't actually any threat in there at all but nonetheless I was scared shitless.

Indra was here (20755) on 7/25/2007 12:28 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Whopee, crashed in the freakin boat thing again (Society of Leopold).

Now I have to patch the stupid game. Hey, do we get to meet the Giovanni mansion again, I didn't get to finish the sub-mission where you had to get dirt on the Giovanni heirs....maybe I should've just killed everyone there.....

Yikes there are a lot of patches out there. v1.2, v.2.1a, v.2.3, v.3.9...ayayayayay.

note: adding new screenshots

Donatello (466) on 7/25/2007 1:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Patch v1.2 is the last official one. All the others are unofficial and well, while fix a lot of things they add some things as well like unused dialogue and tweak various stats etc.

Indra was here (20755) on 7/25/2007 2:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Just downloaded "offical patch v1.2.". Guess what. The game crashed at Leopold Society (again).

Anyone know which patch version fixes this? I am about this close in updating my review and go !@$!@$%!@$!V at Troika (again).

Donatello (466) on 7/25/2007 2:25 PM · Permalink · Report

Download v3.9. Maybe you have to restart your game as well, not sure.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 7/25/2007 2:31 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start AlienX wrote--]Download v3.9. Maybe you have to restart your game as well, not sure. [/Q --end AlienX wrote--] Heh, poor Indra. He always gets to experience games in the wrong way. Maybe it's a sign that you should stop playing games and become a man?

Indra was here (20755) on 7/25/2007 2:46 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Drunken Irishman wrote--] Maybe it's a sign that you should stop playing games and become a man? [/Q --end Drunken Irishman wrote--]

It's because of gaming I failed to become a man. Or because I failed as a man I became obsessed with gaming. Either which this "man" is forced to download a stupid 70MB patch to play a stupid buggy game.

If I could shoot every developer what gave that gave me anger management issues...

St. Martyne (3648) on 7/28/2007 11:34 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Help! Having the same bug. Is there a workaround without downloading a patch? It's too big for my miserable connection.

EDIT: Nevermind. Google is my friend.

Slug Camargo (583) on 7/25/2007 10:59 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start AlienX wrote--]Patch v1.2 is the last official one. All the others are unofficial and well, while fix a lot of things they add some things as well like unused dialogue and tweak various stats etc. [/Q --end AlienX wrote--] Any of those patches by change manages to take the framerate above 8 fps during pretty much every crowded fight?

St. Martyne (3648) on 7/25/2007 1:59 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Drunken Irishman wrote--] Could be a brilliant thing. The Ocean Hotel was also his thing... the way he did it was just brilliant. There wasn't actually any threat in there at all but nonetheless I was scared shitless. [/Q --end Drunken Irishman wrote--]

Agreed! That place alone proved that Bloodlines leaves all the others contemporary RPGs far behind. Who said that you can't put a brilliant pure horror sequence inside an RPG? Why all the other developers always superficially limit and restrict themselves by the genre of their game? I guess, you DO need talent for that.

Glad to hear that the guy behind all this is still around.

By the way I stuck right in the Ocean Hotel right now. Just turned the power on. Took the elevator back to the lobby. And I don't know what to do now. I hope it's not a bug. Playing two years ago had no problems at all.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/25/2007 5:38 PM · Permalink · Report

No, it's not a bug. I remember getting stuck in the hotel for along time. Just check all the rooms again, you'll have to go through an empty elevator shaft, some jumping is required. You'll get it eventually, it's quite confusing, I know.

Indra was here (20755) on 7/25/2007 8:51 PM · Permalink · Report

The Ocean Hotel Ghost usually gives hints to where to go...after returning to the lobby you will probably see a ghost, directing you to that area. After you've cleared the right wing of the hotel (2nd floor), the ghost will appear again at the left wing, where you have to smash hole in the floor which will to the underground kitchen-->then elevator shaft.

Make sure you find the fetish root something there. I've noticed there are a lot of magical items in certain locations...

St. Martyne (3648) on 7/26/2007 6:28 AM · Permalink · Report

It seems that Malkavian sixth sense betrayed me here. I got so much used to all the things of interest being highlighted by some eerie glow, that missed the nightstand with key in it in a room on the second floor.

Just moved to the downtown. Although few quests from the "lady of the sea" (excuse me my Malkavian, St Monica of course) still remained unfinished.

First is this Lily girl, I found her in a hospital, gave her my blood and then she disappeared for good. The quest is still active and the thinblood at the beach didn't react to it in any way.

Secondly the gruesome murders. Are they Santa Monica only and I missed something? Or is the murderer to be found later?

The visions paint the road at the back of my head. Show me the way.

Donatello (466) on 7/26/2007 7:02 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start St_Martyne wrote--]It seems that Malkavian sixth sense betrayed me here. I got so much used to all the things of interest being highlighted by some eerie glow, that missed the nightstand with key in it in a room on the second floor.

Just moved to the downtown. Although few quests from the "lady of the sea" (excuse me my Malkavian, St Monica of course) still remained unfinished.

First is this Lily girl, I found her in a hospital, gave her my blood and then she disappeared for good. The quest is still active and the thinblood at the beach didn't react to it in any way.

Secondly the gruesome murders. Are they Santa Monica only and I missed something? Or is the murderer to be found later?

The visions paint the road at the back of my head. Show me the way. [/Q --end St_Martyne wrote--]

Lily isn't the girl whom you gave your blood. Did you complete the quest where you have to steal werewolf blood from Blood Bank? You should meet her during that quest.

And don't worry about the murders, you'll deal with it later.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/25/2007 5:36 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Tell me about this. The ocean hotel was one of the scariest locations I have ever encountered in a game. My wife covered her eyes with both hands and refused to play through that level! :)

Scott Monster (986) on 7/31/2007 1:12 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn B. Lynx wrote--]Tell me about this. The ocean hotel was one of the scariest locations I have ever encountered in a game. My wife covered her eyes with both hands and refused to play through that level! :) [/Q --end Unicorn B. Lynx wrote--]

It was indeed spooky. The music was spooky. The exploding light bulbs kept startling me. The kitchen Poltergiest was awesome!

Indra was here (20755) on 7/31/2007 3:33 AM · Permalink · Report

First time I played the Ocean Hotel quest, I was scared shitless. All those sudden lights busting and paintings flying at you. I also remember after that terrifying kitchen scene where your about to be "the last supper", crawling in the vent and an eerie ghosts says "Carefull" or something like that. Ooooh, this is going to be baaaad....really baaaad. I thought.

I almost stopped playing when I read in the newspaper: "Decapitated head found in laundry machine".

Why does it always have to be decapitated heads? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah
running away from the laundry machine

Slug Camargo (583) on 7/31/2007 3:53 AM · Permalink · Report

And yet you had to investigate the washing machine to get a key :D That was cool.

I loved that level, although it felt pretty out of place with the rest of the game.