🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Moto Racer 2 > What's up with the Motocross races?

Daniel Saner (3503) on 1/4/2010 4:56 PM · Permalink · Report

I recently started playing this again, and I think I remember why I didn't like this part of the series at all even when it came out.

I can do alright in Superbike races, and I'm fairly good at them. But I almost never get a position in the first half of the field in any Motocross race. I can choose Easy difficulty, Arcade physics, the bike with the highest top speed, stay close to the ideal line and never hit anything during a race, stay practically constantly at top speed, yet I keep getting overtaken by other racers who are faster than me. By the time the race is over, the fastest enemy is about half a lap ahead of me. What's going on here? How can they be so fast? Is there some special button or trick that I'm missing to make the bikes go faster?

vedder (70822) on 1/4/2010 6:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Not sure whether I played this one, but in the original I think you had to do a stunt in every jump to somehow stay ahead. Not very logical and I remember having great difficulty finishing first as well.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 1/4/2010 10:07 PM · Permalink · Report

I solved the problem now, and I'm embarrassed to say that I might have messed up my installation of the game, or triggered some sort of copy protection. What gave me the hint was that in MG screenshots, sportbikes show up to gear 6, and dirtbikes gear 5, while I only could use 4 and 3 gears respectively.

Because the game has a 16-bit installer, I could not use the normal installation routines on my 64-bit Windows, and had to copy the files over manually. However, I messed up the directory structure somehow. One of the effects was that replays didn't work - another one weirdly enough that not all gears can be used on the bikes.

I installed the game with the normal installer in a virtual machine running Windows 98 and checked out how the files were copied to disk - I moved mine around and now I can use all gears, am faster, and have an actual chance at winning the game. I'll try your hint with the stunts though as well :) thanks!