Forums > Game Forums > Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 > Gamespot's choice for "Best RPG"

Donatello (466) on 12/31/2007 11:48 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

What a surprise! With nominees like Mass Effect and The Witcher I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that P3 won.

Link

I'm only about 17 hours in and I can clearly see why they picked Persona 3. (I haven't played Mass Effect nor The Witcher though).

DreinIX (10444) on 12/31/2007 12:03 PM · Permalink · Report

Got to play this game. Don't know how though since I don't think any Shin Megami Tensei has found it's way in this forgotten little country (among others). I'll figure it out somehow.

St. Martyne (3648) on 12/31/2007 12:29 PM · Permalink · Report

I can't say that a generic Japanese school dating sim meeting a generic Japanese summoning/collecting routine sounds appealing to me.

Nevertheless, a couple of review I read suggests that, maybe, there is something to it.

DreinIX (10444) on 12/31/2007 12:34 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Sometimes it's about "how it does that". God of War is an example.

Donatello (466) on 12/31/2007 12:42 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Santa Martyne wrote--]I can't say that a generic Japanese school dating sim meeting a generic Japanese summoning/collecting routine sounds appealing to me.

Nevertheless, a couple of review I read suggests that, maybe, there is something to it. [/Q --end Santa Martyne wrote--]

Prejudices, prejudices...

It's still a niche title though and a lot of people are put off by many things, like anime style and teenage main characters. I actually dig the whole setting (two of my favourite animes are about teenagers...and love), so my opinion might not be objective.

The Witcher looks interesting, but Mass Effect....it just seems so boring and lifeless.

St. Martyne (3648) on 12/31/2007 1:50 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Donatello wrote--] Prejudices, prejudices... [/Q --end Donatello wrote--]

Correct. But that's the only thing I have to base my decision as to trying this game out or forgetting about it.

Your words and Gamespot's decision for it to be an RPG of the year certainly suggest the former.

So, is it so hard to come by?

The Fabulous King (1332) on 12/31/2007 2:29 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Heh, all mainstream sites are stupid fucks anyway. And it's a interesting contrast between the editor's and reader's choice. Must have been somekinda war.

On the other hand: "Of course, much has been made of how you summon a persona: You hold an instrument that looks like a gun to your head and pull the trigger. Shocking, yes, but justified in context of the game's mature and thoughtful story."

I can never take someone seriously who suggests that jrpg's = mature and thoughtful story. But the dating sim/high school part sounds like fun.

Donatello (466) on 12/31/2007 2:34 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Some guy over RPGFan posted this, explaining this whole "bam! headshot" thingie: While the Evoker concept is a gimmick at best, it also has ties to the psychological elements that all Persona games have. It is a Freudian concept, in that the Evoker destroys the "ego" of a person, i.e. their physical self, to give birth to the primal forces inside of them (the id, or in the game's case the Persona). All Persona are used for violent ends, as you see in the game. Therefore, the idea that the Persona are the id of a person is an easy connection to draw.

Drunken irishman: Trying to ignite a flamewar, do you? :D

The Fabulous King (1332) on 12/31/2007 2:44 PM · Permalink · Report

That psychoanalysis thing you posted is something I've seen in a lot of anime - it's not the hero that fights in the battles but some other force/entity/ancient one inside him. I've always wondered about.

Donatello (466) on 12/31/2007 2:51 PM · Permalink · Report

What's your point?

The Fabulous King (1332) on 12/31/2007 2:54 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

That was just idle wondering. To use psychoanalysis to make something deeper is a common thing. But I like it when people do it. And I wouldn't mind if you'd do a psychoanalysis for all the anime clichés and their secret meanings.

But if you want a point, then I can complain about how they should make separate categories for WRPG's and JRPG's since they are different genres.

St. Martyne (3648) on 12/31/2007 6:45 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Drunken Irishman wrote--] But if you want a point, then I can complain about how they should make separate categories for WRPG's and JRPG's since they are different genres. [/Q --end Drunken Irishman wrote--]

I don't think they should. Mechanics is the same, even if the emphases are on different aspects of it.

—- (1617) on 12/31/2007 7:05 PM · Permalink · Report

Haven't played any of the Persona games yet. Partially because they are extremely expensive over here (70-90€). But this one looks fairly interesting...I wonder why Unicorn didn't review it yet.

Donatello (466) on 12/31/2007 7:25 PM · Permalink · Report

He hasn´t played it, that's why.

—- (1617) on 12/31/2007 7:41 PM · Permalink · Report

I figured that, but being MobyGames' very own Prof. Megaten, I wondered why it's not even on his "Up Next" list.

DJP Mom (11333) on 12/31/2007 7:43 PM · Permalink · Report

He entered the game, are you sure he didn't play it?

St. Martyne (3648) on 12/31/2007 7:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Eeyore? Are you depressed?

DJP Mom (11333) on 12/31/2007 7:52 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Eeyore? Are you depressed?

Just feeling complainy. Holiday gloom. Don't mind me.

Edit - however, I am feeling pretty amused by this new entry! :-D

DreinIX (10444) on 12/31/2007 7:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Whoa, where's the cat?