🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Pathologic > This is... interesting

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 6/7/2007 3:10 AM · Permalink · Report

Just got the game and started playing it. Looks very interesting, so far. Why the terrible MobyRank?? Has anyone played it?

Have a big problem: can't save the game at all. Not through quick save, not through the menu. What the...

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 6/7/2007 5:33 AM · Permalink · Report

...okay. Guided by irrational inspiration, I created a folder in the game install directory, aptly naming it "Saves". It worked! I can save my game!

Anyway... I see our MobyScore for it is 4.2. And so far, I'm more inclined towards this score than towards the MobyRank one!

Virgil (8563) on 6/7/2007 2:41 PM · Permalink · Report

I think one of the reasons, why this game has below average rating - is belated worldwide release. In Russia it was available in stores more, than year(!) before international release date.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 6/7/2007 5:21 PM · Permalink · Report

So what? That's the reason for the low score?..

Indra was here (20755) on 6/7/2007 8:49 PM · Permalink · Report

What an ugly game. Then again, I didn't past playing the game for more than 1 hour. Got bored.

Adam Knitter on 6/7/2007 11:35 PM · Permalink · Report

I didn't find it ugly at all, but then I pay more attention to design and atmosphere than resolution. I just got to the end of this game with one of the characters, and the ending leaves you kind of empty, which can mean two things; it's either good or it's bad. But the journey is the thing that's important I'd say, and I want to play with the other characters just to find out more and understand things better, which is a very good review since I don't finish most games at all.

I think it takes a special kind of person to like this game, most of the time is spent on walking around, and that can become tedious, so I understand if someone doesn't cope with that, just like I have big troubles playing japanese RPG's because of random encounters. If you don't like it the first hour you probably won't later either, but if you do like the bizarre story and complicated relationships then you'll probably be sucked in.

xroox (3895) on 6/7/2007 11:52 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

This is one of the most interesting games I've played. Did you manage to get hold of the Russian version? I really hope so.

Anyway, I thought the story was fascinating. There is a really deep and convoluted history to the town and all its characters. Personally, I also thought the graphics were great. The game has a unique, sombre atmosphere.

It does have its share of problems. The biggest problem with the English version I played is the terrible translation. But the story still managed to shine through. Also, the game can be rather tedious with the amount of time you will spend walking backwards and forwards. And... personally... I was extremely disappointed by the ending. Although there are still two other characters for me to play with.

Actually, when I played Pathologic, it grabbed hold of my mind in a way that has never happened with any other game. I found I was unable to stop thinking about it when awake, or dreaming about it every night when I went to sleep. It gave me so much to think about. It's full of mysteries within mysteries...

I await your opinions :)

As for the low scores: Most of the low scores are due to the poor international translation jobs. The game received uniformly excellent scores in Russia. Also, some people just found the game too slow and boring.

It's certainly a game that requires effort and patience, but I think it's well worth it.

[Edit: Oleg, if you can grab some Russian scores off the net, you can raise the MobyRank for this game quite a lot! Also, if you can scan the Russian box art in, then please do so, because the UK cover is crap!]

DJP Mom (11333) on 6/8/2007 12:17 AM · Permalink · Report

There's an absolutely wonderful review of Pathologic at Eurogamer, and the reviewer does mention that it won game-of-the-year awards in Russia. He's obviously of two minds about the game, which is what makes the review interesting.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 6/8/2007 2:58 AM · Permalink · Report

Unfortunately, all I could buy in China is the English version, with the unbelievably bad translation. I'd love to get the Russian one, but I have no idea how...

I'll try to find Russian reviews to help the game raise its MobyRank!

Indra was here (20755) on 6/9/2007 9:04 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Against my better judgement, I reinstalled and am playing pathologic as I am extremely bored. Now entering day 2.... Not as ugly as I remember. But still ugly.

And yes, the english dialogs really really suck dude. Sounds like Shakespeare inside Einstein after being hit by a truck.