Forums > Game Forums > Fallout 2 > SOLVED: Is Fallout 2 a buggy game?

MichaelPalin (1414) on 12/9/2010 10:18 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I have started playing the game for the first time a few days ago. I'm in the typical situation right now in which something seems to not make sense: a character should give me an object but he doesn't and when I steal it, I don't seem to be able to use it (I have already asked for help at gog.com forums). We all know this situation: "have I done something wrong, have I missed something or is this a bug?" Before I keep playing , I want to know, is Fallout 2 a buggy game? Should I expect weird things to happen regularly? If the answer is positive, could you give me any tips on how to play the game to avoid bugs?

Maybe I should read the manual at some point, :P

SOLUTION: Ok, apparently, a Yellow Pass Key is not the same as a Yellow Reactor Keycard, even if they look awfully alike, :P

Zovni (10504) on 12/9/2010 2:13 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Like a rainforest.

Edit: I didn't encounter your particular bug, but my party members refused to talk to me at one point making it impossible to continue the game :S That was pre-patch though. After the patch I still had tons of bugs, but nothing game-breaking, so check what version you are running.

Unicorn Lynx (181771) on 12/9/2010 2:42 PM · Permalink · Report

Very buggy, but like Zovni says - the pre-patched release is much better.

Try to get this release, and ignore the bugs - the game is just too awesome.

Zovni (10504) on 12/9/2010 4:06 PM · Permalink · Report

You mean post-patch.

Unicorn Lynx (181771) on 12/9/2010 4:17 PM · Permalink · Report

You mean post-patch.

Hmm, I meant "pre-patched" as in "already patched", like in "pre-rendered".

I guess "pre-patch" would mean "before the patch was applied", while "pre-patchED" would mean "with the patch already included"... though now I'm not sure any more :)

Patrick Bregger (302369) on 12/9/2010 4:23 PM · Permalink · Report

Just wait until you get the car. This has to be one of the buggiest game objects ever.

Slug Camargo (583) on 12/10/2010 12:37 AM · Permalink · Report

You may wanna grab the unofficial patch too. According to the readme "it fixes well over 800+ bugs left in the game since the official 1.02 patch".

MichaelPalin (1414) on 12/10/2010 8:56 AM · Permalink · Report

Does it say if you can use the same save games?

But, yes, I better do that just in case.

Thanks!

Slug Camargo (583) on 12/10/2010 10:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Not sure about the unofficial patch, but considering that most mods totally destroy old savegames, I wouldn't set my hopes too high.