🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Wii Sports > Some qwiik questions

St. Martyne (3648) on 7/20/2008 5:59 AM · Permalink · Report

How do you do an ace in the tennis game? I seams so unpredictable and infrequent, that makes me believe it's just random.

And can you spin balls in tennis? I think I've managed a couple of times. If you can what should you do? I twisted the WiiMote in all possible directions to no avail.

And can someone give a quick round-up on the rules of baseball, at least the basics I need to know to enjoy its representation in this game.

Is there a way to look through my Mii's acomplishments, like the list of medals I won and highscores I achieved? I think no, but I'll ask still.

beetle120 (2415) on 7/20/2008 3:39 PM · Permalink · Report

For the aiming it is manly about the timing, just pretend that you are trying to hit the ball in that direction and you should get it in time. As for the spin, I have a friend that can do it well but I have never figured it out.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 7/20/2008 4:43 PM · Permalink · Report

Honestly, I didn't think that level of control existed in the Tennis game. As beetle said, it seems to be all about timing. Doesn't even matter if you swing on the same side the ball is approaching on - your Mii actually picks for you. All it's looking for is the remote shake at the right time.

Baseball's fairly simple. Teams alternate between pitching and batting. You can only score points when you're batting. There are four plates defining a diamond. Starting at "home" you have to run to first, second, third, and back home to score a point. You can only do this safely while the ball is in the air, or fumbling around in the outfield. You're "out" (lose your turn) if anyone tags you with the ball while you try to run. When standing on a plate you're "safe" and cannot be tagged out, but if someone beats you to the plate (basically tags the plate with the ball) it's the same as tagging you directly.

I had a longer description, but in-field play (scooping up a hit ball and throwing it to the plates in time) isn't considered in Wii Sports, so I can shorten this whole thing up:

Batting: Hit the ball as far as you can, and away from outfielders if possible, to give your team time to run the bases. If an outfielder catches a ball in the air, you're out. Conversely, if you hit the ball out of the park, it's a "home run" and everyone currently safe on bases runs home for free. So if you have three people on all three bases and hit a home run yourself, that's 4 points.

Pitching: Misdirect the batter and throw the ball so that he misses it. Home plate basically defines the vertical area the batter can physically hit (as the bat is only so long). Throwing the ball over the plate counts as a "strike" whether the batter swings and misses, or doesn't swing at all. Throwing the ball outside the plate (a valid misdirection tactic) is a "strike" if the batter swings and misses, but a "ball" if he doesn't (he knows he can't hit it, and doesn't take the bait.)

Three "strikes" and the batter is out. Four "balls" and he walks freely to first base. So you can't just throw balls, you have to mix it up with actual chances for him to hit. You can still confuse him as to where exactly you'll throw the ball, or use pitches that sink or curve.

Again, I think Wii Sports only uses timing to determine how hard and in what direction you hit the ball. Similar with pitching, but you select your pitch beforehand.

St. Martyne (3648) on 7/21/2008 6:09 AM · Permalink · Report

Thanks for the baseball explanations.

As for Tennis, I've noticed that the side you swing does make an effect. I've lost too many balls because I swung at the wrong side, which did make Mii kick the ball but messed up its direction entirely . And the swifter your movements are the noticeably faster the ball flies.