🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2: WW II Pacific Theater > Japanese cover

Rola (8483) on 9/3/2012 11:22 PM · Permalink · Report

While we have several versions of the international cover, what we really need is Japanese one:

http://www.volny.cz/havlikjosef/covers/CFS2_Japan.gif

Can you spot the difference? ^_^

formercontrib (157510) on 9/3/2012 11:29 PM · Permalink · Report

The main difference? Japanese airplane/pilot, guess you don't mean that - too easy...

Rola (8483) on 9/4/2012 8:09 PM · Permalink · Report

I used emoticon to suggest a jocular tone of voice.

By "little difference" I mean that this is a completely different design, not just a variation. It's obviously done not to irritate Japanese buyers with victorious US warplane, just like IL-2 Sturmovik covers were different for German market, because the international version displayed German plane going down in flames.

I don't care about the next dull budget release cover, but this is the kind of an alternative cover we simply must have on file.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95651) on 9/4/2012 8:36 PM · Permalink · Report

Here's a slightly higher-res scan of it, and here's what looks like a Japan-only add-on for it (part of a series, even).

vedder (70822) on 9/4/2012 9:13 PM · Permalink · Report

At the least worthy of a trivia item I'd say!

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 9/4/2012 11:44 PM · Permalink · Report

I'd agree with the need for more Japanese covers in general. Remember OXM doing an article in their mag way back illustrating the difference between several japanese xbox 360 games and their western counterparts.

Rola (8483) on 9/5/2012 1:11 AM · Permalink · Report

I know that we accept everything, but there still should be some priorities, considering our small manpower. Covers should be submitted if there's significant difference in design/info provided. Otherwise it's repetitive. It's OK to provide front cover as a proof of game port for given platform, but most foreign covers could be skipped (except of those from game's country of origin), with just alternative titles on file. I don't care about budget releases series, they usually reuse original cover in ugly way. Magazine covers (covermounts) shouldn't be allowed. We should instead focus on major changes between US/Euro/Japan covers, as in this example.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95651) on 9/5/2012 2:55 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rola wrote--]I know that we accept everything, but there still should be some priorities, considering our small manpower. Covers should be submitted if there's significant difference in design/info provided. Otherwise it's repetitive. It's OK to provide front cover as a proof of game port for given platform, but most foreign covers could be skipped (except of those from game's country of origin), with just alternative titles on file. I don't care about budget releases series, they usually reuse original cover in ugly way. Magazine covers (covermounts) shouldn't be allowed. We should instead focus on major changes between US/Euro/Japan covers, as in this example. [/Q --end Rola wrote--] The way you say this seems to imply that scanning and uploading a budget re-release cover somehow means the same person won't add another more interesting cover instead. I don't go out of my way to look for these variants, but when I notice I have something that isn't on file, I'll scan and contribute it just like any other cover.

Rola (8483) on 9/5/2012 6:07 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

What I'm trying to say is that we live in a limited world. You only have two hands and some time to spare. We have plenty of titles with no cover at all, not to mention tens of thousands games not documented yet, and we still don't have the technology to clone Sciere, Unicorn Lynx, Kabushi et consortes... that's why I used the word "priorities".

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95651) on 9/5/2012 8:21 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, the way I think of it is: I only own so many games, so I figure it would be a waste to let it gather dust on my shelf when it could provide useful information to another collector looking for variants.

But on the other hand, I only own a few hundred games, and I almost never buy games just to scan and document them here (and if I do, it's generally some obscure Japanese release anyway, and those are ALWAYS interesting to me personally), so I can't really speak for the uber-collectors around here. :)

chirinea (47495) on 9/5/2012 7:57 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Also, sometimes a budget scan or a covermount one is the only piece of cover art we have available for a given game. Most people who contribute to this site do so not in an industrial way like some users do; they do it for items they own, and I'll never refuse something someone is willing to contribute while saying "hey, instead of sending this budged release cover art you should be submitting new game entries"; our motto used to be quality over quantity. Besides, we're not Wikipedia, we don't care about relevance: all information is valuable to us.