🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Two Worlds > Difficulty

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/9/2008 4:44 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I am currently starting to play Two Worlds, and so far enjoying it very, very much. However, what I found odd was that before playing the game, every article or review I read about the game that mentioned the difficulty of the game, came to the conclusion that it was exceptionally hard, and some even suggested that all players play the game on the easy level.

I started out playing it on the medium level. The battles seemed to be quite normal in difficulty - somehow challenging but nothing to be too worried about. But for me, the fact that after death you always get resurrected and not even penalised took away all the challenge. What's the use of healing potions if resurrection points are always nearby, you get resurrected instantly, with full health, and could just return to the fight and finish the job? I had to restart the game on the hard setting now to get a real sense of accomplishment.

Everybody seems to have warned others about the hard setting. But I don't think it's that hard at all. The fact that you can die just gives you an incentive to survive, choose your fights wisely, and think about your moves. And the battles became harder, but with the way enemy behaviour and combat system works in this game, I enjoy it a lot more than in medium setting. You have to time you attacks, know your retreats, switch weapons, and run away every now and then. It is a challenge, but a good one, and it never seems unfair or unbeatable, unless you're in an area where you're not supposed to be yet.

Although RPGs are my favourite genre, I do not consider myself an experienced player, especially not action RPGs. I think Gothic is the only one I ever finished. So I doubt that I have better skills than all those other people.

What did other MobyGamers think about the difficulty of this game? Is it just that most people today think that the goal is to reach the closing cutscene as fast and smoothly as possible, forgetting that the real fun lies in the journey and the challenge to get there? Or did so many people really get frustrated with the Hard or even Normal setting?

St. Martyne (3648) on 9/9/2008 7:00 AM · Permalink · Report

I had no trouble with its difficulty. However, there were plenty of other problems with that game to prevent me from enjoying it.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/9/2008 1:59 PM · Permalink · Report

I must say that I have ever only played the fully patched v1.7 version. Most bad reviews I read were negative because of mostly technical aspects. Of course it's bad to fix this stuff after release, but the state the 1.7 version is in, I had no problems whatsoever. Controls are fine and I encountered no bugs as of yet. Maybe now it is the game it should have been in the first place.

Yearman (29593) on 9/9/2008 2:10 PM · Permalink · Report

I have completed the game on the highest difficulty setting and it wasn't hard at all. I always tried to avoid dragons or golems because these enemies are a real pain in the ass, they're killing you with a single blow, even high-class characters. A good weapon is very important. You can merge weapons of the same type and also enhance them with magical powers. Do this and after some time you will have a weapon with more than ten thousand hit points.