Forums > Game Forums > Return Fire > Strategy Guide

Matthew Copeland on 6/21/2007 2:40 PM · Permalink · Report

I have written a detailed strategy guide for extremely comptetive play in two-player mode. http://www.matthewcopeland.com/ReturnFireStrategyGuide.html

Entries range from general strategies to highly specific situations to fun ways to alter the gameplay. Overall, this is a highly stimulating game with extraordinary replay value.

Here are a few sample tips:

Mine layers fire rockets high off the ground and cannot destroy a tank or jeep within one vehicle length in front, but can shoot another mine layer in close proximity. This is a handy bit of knowledge if you ever get caught up close to a mine layer with the jeep, which can safely maneuver within this small radius around the mine layer. Also a tank cannot shoot a jeep that is within half a vehicle length due to the high turret.

Just because a mine explodes next to you doesn’t mean imminent death. Drive away from the explosion to increase your chances of survival.

Use the flag tower as a shield in between your jeep and enemy rockets when possible.

A jeep can carry only one flag at a time, but it is capable of picking up either your own flag or your opponent’s flag.

Hiding your own flag: This is something fun to do if you opponent has easily discovered your flag’s location. Choose a spot that is surrounded by plenty of rocket towers and is somewhat close to your bunker just in case you need to surround it with mines or relocate it again. Your proximity to your own flag is quite influential in your ability to protect it. If you take your flag to your own base, it will be redistributed to an in-tact flag tower, or random flag tower location in the absence of an undestroyed flag tower. If your bunker is in between your flag and your enemy’s bunker, all the better. This can allow you time to self destruct and bring out the heavy artillery in the event that your enemy captures your flag.

It takes one shell, rocket, grenade, or mine to destroy a jeep, 21 shells or 9 rockets to destroy a helicopter, 32 shells or 13 rockets to destroy a tank, 52 shells or 18 rockets to destroy a mine layer.

If your enemy is directly over your bunker while you select a vehicle, they will be destroyed. This can happen more easily than imaginable as I have done it on several occasions. Don’t get caught hanging out on top of the enemy bunker.

Try swapping controllers as soon as one person has discovered the flag.

Sciere (930525) on 6/21/2007 2:46 PM · Permalink · Report

You can submit a link for it in the related links section.

Guy Chapman (1748) on 7/3/2007 8:25 AM · Permalink · Report

This game was a lot of fun to play back in the day.

DJP Mom (11333) on 7/3/2007 12:45 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Guy Chapman wrote--]This game was a lot of fun to play back in the day. [/Q --end Guy Chapman wrote--]

I don't think you're old enough to say "back in the day..." :-)

Guy Chapman (1748) on 7/6/2007 8:22 AM · Permalink · Report

Hahaha. Well, I appreciate the compliment all the same. But I do remember getting Pong and my Atari 2600 as a kid on Christmas, so I do have a bit of the old-school cred under my belt. ;)