🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Alone in the Dark > Central Dark website

Daniel Saner (3503) on 12/21/2013 6:29 PM · Permalink · Report

Atari promoted this game with a rather massive ARG-like website called Central Dark. The domain centraldark.com now just redirects to the Atari homepage.

I remember that there was quite a lot of content on the site. It seems to have been taken offline only a few months after it went live. I sometimes rip and archive this kind of game site, but didn't get to it with this one while it was still active. The Wayback Machine seems to have been successfully levered out through various JavaScript and redirection complications (and I remember it was largely Flash-based, so it probably wouldn't have been very successful anyway.)

My question: did anyone else by chance archive some of the stuff that the Central Dark site contained?

Parf (7873) on 12/21/2013 11:31 PM · Permalink · Report

Aside from my repressed memories of actually making it through this whole train wreck of a game I somehow paid full price for? No... Not a thing.

I remember there was a promo site though. Don't think I ever checked it out myself.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 12/24/2013 4:14 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I remember the site, and I've actually archived some of the stuff, but I'm not sure it survived until now on my HDD.

edit: Nope, nothing. Found some images that reminded me of the cancelled City of Metronome and Theseis. Neat.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 12/25/2013 3:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Too bad, thanks for checking though! Glad I'm not the only one who archives stuff like that :) so maybe there's someone else out there who has it.

I remembered that the site was updated in weekly "episodes", and I used to get the e-mails when a new one was released. If I can find these in my mail archives there should be some info in them, but I guess most of it would've been on the website proper.