🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > GoldenEye 007 > What gameplay features were first in Goldeneye?

BurningStickMan (17916) on 8/2/2011 6:21 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

So we did this for Doom, and now I'm trying to remember what exactly was revolutionary about Goldeneye. It did a lot of things very well, but how much was new to first person shooters?

Mission objectives had already been in Dark Forces. Stealth was new, perhaps? What about scripted cinematic moments within the levels, like having to lead Boris to disable security? (this does predate Half-Life)

The Fabulous King (1332) on 8/2/2011 7:10 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

You shoot the guy in the balls or in the ass and the guy jumps funny. Everybody has lolz. So, reactive damageable body parts?

BurningStickMan (17916) on 8/3/2011 1:46 AM · Permalink · Report

Expanding on that, didn't enemies have blood spots dependent upon where you shot them? Something like a layer or decal placed on the model itself, not a static Quake-style "pain skin"? Would that be a first?

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95651) on 8/3/2011 4:27 AM · Permalink · Report

Yep, enemies would bleed where you shot them...which is to say, that part of their model would turn red.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95651) on 8/2/2011 9:04 PM · Permalink · Report

Have any other games given the option to use two controllers at once to control your character?

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 8/2/2011 9:46 PM · Permalink · Report

You can do that?

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95651) on 8/3/2011 12:56 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, take a look at the control presets sometime. There's like four different two-controller options.

Terok Nor (42014) on 8/3/2011 7:06 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start 雷堂承太朗 -raidō jōtarō- wrote--]Have any other games given the option to use two controllers at once to control your character? [/Q --end 雷堂承太朗 -raidō jōtarō- wrote--]

On the PC side, I'm pretty sure that some games allowed the use of two joysticks, like MechWarrior 2 or Descent (both 1995). Not quite the same, but still.

chirinea (47495) on 8/3/2011 7:12 AM · Permalink · Report

Well, Raiders of the Lost Ark for the Atari 2600 used two joysticks back in 1982.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 8/3/2011 8:09 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]Well, Raiders of the Lost Ark for the Atari 2600 used two joysticks back in 1982. [/Q --end chirinea wrote--] Didn't really control your character with both though. The second was only for inventory.

Alaka (106123) on 8/3/2011 8:22 AM · Permalink · Report

Crazy Climber for the Famicom used 2 controllers to control your characters movement.

Adzuken (836) on 8/2/2011 11:55 PM · Permalink · Report

It was the first game that I know of that had bullet penetration that was judged by what material an object is made of and how powerful your gun is. It was also the first one I recall that you could shoot the hats off of enemies. That was pretty cool.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 8/3/2011 12:03 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I think it was the first to have four player split screen. On a console anyway.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 8/3/2011 12:15 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]I think it was the first to have four player split screen. On a console anyway. [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] Didn't Turok do that?

EDIT: Nope, that was Turok 2.

Lain Crowley (6629) on 8/3/2011 5:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Wolf 3D was originally designed to be a stealth game, but they took most of it out because the players just wanted to shoot everyone. You can still walk up behind an enemy if they haven't seen you and melee them in one hit.

I want to say you occasionally have to get friendly NPCs to help you in Strife, but I think the friendlies were mostly just present as backup firepower. Did the BOBs ever assist you in Marathon?

Was it the first FPS with vehicles?

Havoc Crow (29861) on 8/3/2011 6:55 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Lain Crowley wrote--]Was it the first FPS with vehicles? [/Q --end Lain Crowley wrote--] There was Shadow Warrior, also released in 1997; I don't know if it was earlier or later than G007, but in the US at least it was released three months earlier. It had driveable vehicles.

Terminator: Future Shock from 1995 apparently has car levels (according to the description and one of the screenshots in our database), but I haven't played it much and don't remember how the whole "vehicle driving" thing looked in it.

Man, I feel like we're the Oxford English Dictionary crew, obsessively seeking out the EARLIEST occurrences... :)

BurningStickMan (17916) on 8/3/2011 7:10 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start JudgeDeadd wrote--] [Q2 --start Lain Crowley wrote--]Was it the first FPS with vehicles? [/Q2 --end Lain Crowley wrote--] Terminator: Future Shock from 1995 apparently has car levels (according to the description and one of the screenshots in our database), but I haven't played it much and don't remember how the whole "vehicle driving" thing looked in it. [/Q --end JudgeDeadd wrote--] Yes, Future Shock had driving levels. They were fully 3D, 3D cockpit, mouselook, etc. One difference is that you couldn't leave the car. The driving levels were driving only, and you could only get out and walk around at the level change.

I'm sure there was a sprite-based 3D game prior to 1997 where you could enter and exit a vehicle within the same level. Cybermage?

Havoc Crow (29861) on 8/3/2011 7:15 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Cybermage did have that, yes

Игги Друге (46653) on 8/11/2011 11:58 PM · Permalink · Report

How about the Mercenary series? I haven't played them myself, but they certainly had vehicles.

Игги Друге (46653) on 8/12/2011 12:00 AM · Permalink · Report

Robocop 3 has car levels and FPS levels, but they're distinct levels.

charmante charmante on 8/12/2011 9:34 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

spam