🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Jagged Alliance 2 > 4X (eXpand, eXplore, eXploit, eXterminate)

SharkD (425) on 8/30/2007 12:08 AM · Permalink · Report

This game belongs in the 4X Games group, as it contains 4X elements.

DJP Mom (11333) on 8/30/2007 1:29 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

You know, you can contribute corrections from the game page, under the Contribute link..., or you can use thi s link.

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 8/30/2007 8:41 AM · Permalink · Report

Here is the 4x game group. You could add JA 2 to this group there, though I'm not sure it actually belongs to it (haven't played it myself). There's also a more detailed description of what constitutes a 4x game that you should read before adding games.

St. Martyne (3648) on 8/30/2007 8:46 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I personally think JA2 don't belong there, since 4X group is actually reserved to strategy titles like Master Of Orion and Civilization. True that JA2 has some features common to the group, but I doubt it's tactical part or the lack of any building capabilities will be interesting for those looking for Civilization kind of experience.

Anyway, it's not a big a deal even if it is to be included, because the game is a mustplay whatever type of games you prefer.

Indra was here (20755) on 8/30/2007 6:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Wha..? JA2 does is not a 4X game even in the most remote sense. All requirements must be fulfilled to qualify.

See game group description for futher information.

St. Martyne (3648) on 8/30/2007 6:17 PM · Permalink · Report

And what did I say? It does feature a big map that must be explored, the controling territory that must be expanded, the resources that must exploited, and Deidranna to be exterminated. :)

And I said that even meeting those criteria doesn't allow to game to be consider a true 4X game. And then I showed some respect to the game humorously saying that it should be added everywhere just for the sake of people playing it. What's the problem?

Indra was here (20755) on 8/30/2007 7:31 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hey, cut me some slack. Took me awhile to come up with that descripton :)

SharkD (425) on 8/31/2007 2:26 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

The game has all four Xs.

Strategic Gameplay: you can decide whether to take a speed run directly to Deidranna before she has time to unleash her elite soldiers, or decide to take over all the mine sectors one by one going for maximum revenues. Do you want to take out the SAM sectors first so that you can utilize Skyrider?

eXploration: there's an entire map to be explored.

eXpansion: you take over map sectors and train militiamen in order to hold them.

eXploitation: there are mines that produce cash over time. Some of them run out of ore over time.

eXtermination: lots of people to kill. The goal of the game is to kill the enemy leader, Deidranna.

Structural Building: you don't build buildings, but you can spend cash to acquire vehicles that speed up your movement across the map. You can also 'build' militia to protect conquered sectors while you're gone.

Technological Advancement: the quality of items you can buy from Bobby Ray's increases over time. Also, the quality of items the enemy drops increases as you approach Meduna.

Diplomacy: you can decide whether to kill Deidranna nicely or in a mean fashion. (OK, I'm joking.) Sometimes the opposing forces ask you whether you want to surrender. In this case, your mercs lose all their weapons and are held in a prison.

I consider JA2 a 4X game with excellent combat!

Indra was here (20755) on 8/31/2007 7:17 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start SharkD wrote--]The game has all four Xs.

So does Mario Brothers

eXploration: there's an entire map to be explored.
Yay, bonus levels and hidden levels to explore!

eXpansion: you take over map sectors and train militiamen in order to hold them.
Well, Mario does "expand" a bit when he eats those magic mushrooms. cough

eXploitation: there are mines that produce cash over time. Some of them run out of ore over time.
Mushroom power-ups all over the place!

eXtermination: lots of people to kill. The goal of the game is to kill the enemy leader, Deidranna. I wonder if King Koopa and Deidranna knew each other? [/Q --end SharkD wrote--]

Why am I even trying to explain this? Someone hug me. I think I'm going to cry out of intellectual frustration.