🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Sky Odyssey > Similar games?

Jekhar on 7/5/2013 10:13 AM · Permalink · Report

Hi!

I must say i really enjoyed this game. I have been playing flightsims for many years, started way back with F-18 Interceptor on the amiga (i had a C64 before that, but don't remember playing any flightsims on it). One thing i always do from time to time is take off in free flight and just tool around, without having to worry about enemies. This game allowed me to do just that, within an awesome adventure setting.

So, my question is, are there any other games like it? I know of Pilotwings, but it's not really similar. Plus i only have access to the very first one, as i'm lacking the other nintendo consoles.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 7/5/2013 3:36 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Good luck with that. I don't think there has been anything remotely like it ever since. Sadly, I might add, because Sky Odyssey is one of my favourite games.

Going more into an abstract direction, PS3's "Flower" occasionally reminded me of it with its airborne exploration of beautiful landscapes. Ditching the airplanes, there are some other games that play similarly, like diving games. And while completely different in gameplay, I found Ico and its ilk to be very similar in atmosphere and mythology. As non-combat flight sims, there's also Disney's Stunt Island, but honestly I think its age prevents it from feeling as epic as it could have. Apart from that maybe there are mods for Microsoft's final Flight Sim that would turn it into a more fantasy exploration style thing? I'm not well informed about what's possible there, and what people have done with it. But I think Sky Odyssey remains the only game of the "sky adventure" genre to this day.

It's hard selling a game without violence (or boobs) to the console crowd. Critics and most people who played Sky Odyssey seem to have loved it, but it still doesn't sell. Most people who might have still been intrigued by the plane on the cover, probably lost interest when they found out that you couldn't shoot stuff.