🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Broken Sword 2.5: The Return of the Templars > How to play the game in a window?

Nowhere Girl (8680) on 9/25/2016 6:05 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I've downloaded the game and tried to play it. Unfortunately, it opens in fullscreen and doen't have a setup file. I hate fullscreen - it makes me feel I have no control over my computer. I wrote the creators, but haven't received any response - it's been some time, perhaps they no longer care about this game... Alt + enter doesn't work. I've read it's possible to fiddle with the game properties and enter "-window" into the target line... but I use Windows 7 and there's no target line in the properties window! What can I do - any ideas? I don't want to play the game in fullscreen.
I hate it when games don't have setup and I also hate it when games - like the original Broken Sword games, at least 1 and 2 which I know - start automatically without menu access at the beginning... Players should have a comfortable opportunity to change their settings if they want to.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 9/25/2016 6:16 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

You need to create a shortcut to the executable first and then right-click it > properties to find the target field.

Nowhere Girl (8680) on 9/25/2016 6:26 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Doesn't work - either with creating the shortcut normally, or through D-Fend Reloaded.
Any other possibilities?

Rwolf (22827) on 9/25/2016 8:31 PM · Permalink · Report

Really?

In D-Fend reloaded you can change the video settings and resolution in the Graphics tab for a game entry, does this not work? I don't think I have B.S.2.5 myself, so I can't test, but it seems odd.

Nowhere Girl (8680) on 9/25/2016 8:56 PM · Permalink · Report

But doesn't this function work only for DOS games? D-Fend Reloaded allows setting profiles for Windows games as well (so that you can access all your games from one menu, for example), but they don't have all the same functions...

Rwolf (22827) on 9/25/2016 9:05 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Ah, you may be right; I assumed it was a DOS game when you mentioned D-Fend Reloaded. As the game is freeware, and I like the B.S. series, I'll try it out later and see what's up.

(I can't figure out from the webpage if the patches are already included in the main download, or if I need to apply them too; after all it's 6 years after the release, so the installer could have been updated?

Edit: it seems the patches are not included so needs to be applied. And the game is full screen only, what I can see. It does have many subtitle new languages - Polish included, and lists an extra voice pack.)

Edit2: There is something amiss; In the German forums, they refer to a menu setting in the game to allow windowed mode, but this is not there.

However, adding '-windowed' to the shortcut does make it start in a window. e.g. for my own shortcut I use: "G:\Program Files (x86)\Broken Sword 2.5\bsengine.exe" -windowed

Methinks some menu update has gone missing.

As a sidenote, I found it quite funny to have the American protagonist speak German, but not recognizing some old German coins.

Nowhere Girl (8680) on 9/26/2016 3:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Wow. Thanks a lot. I just don't get it - "window" doesn't work and "windowed" does...
As for the languages, English and German are enough for me. I'm Polish, but I don't like playing in Polish too much, maybe I'm just afraid that linguistic subtleties may be translated wrong... And anyway, I learned English so well on games - well, not only, but at the age of 12-13 I mae a great leap forwards by playing English-language adventure games - "Ecoquest", "Pepper's Adventures in Time", "Mean Streets"...