Forums > Game Forums > Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri > Upgrading units manually?

Xoleras (66141) on 6/19/2007 7:13 PM · Permalink · Report

From time to time (after research breakthroughs), I'm getting the offer to upgrade my prototypes. Fine. Sometimes I'm getting the offer to upgrade specific existing vehicles to a new model. Fine.

But is it possible to upgrade a given unit manually? If yes, how? (my military is currently a mix of up-to-date and "ancient" units)

Tarathiel on 6/22/2007 9:04 AM · Permalink · Report

Go to the Design Workshop (hit U), select the old model and click Upgrade. Or, if you only want to upgrade a single unit, press Ctrl+U.

Shoddyan (15004) on 6/22/2007 9:39 AM · Permalink · Report

There's also an "Obselete" button on the unit designer... but without the game in front of me, I can't remember how it differs from the "Upgrade"

Tarathiel on 6/22/2007 3:39 PM · Permalink · Report

"Obsolete" disables a certain unit design, so it won't show up in build lists and the computer doesn't auto-build them either. It doesn't delete the design however ("Upgrade" does), it can be restored by clicking "Obsolete" again.

Indra was here (20755) on 6/22/2007 11:04 PM · Permalink · Report

Mostly said. Just be careful with the upgrade button. Got designs deleted that I didn't want to be deleted.

Also notice that you can upgrade the units one-by-one, instead of all at the same time. Basically, each different unit will create a new unit design.

Xoleras (66141) on 6/29/2007 6:14 PM · Permalink · Report

Sorry, was a bit busy lately. I've read all of it, but hadn't much time testing it. So, thanks for all input so far. :)

The current status is that the Upgrade through the Workshop says that I need to build a prototype first before I can upgrade. I thought this means I need to build one of the new unit model first, but I've now build plenty of them at that thing still says that I need to build a prototype first before upgrading...

But the Shift+U works fine, and that's the one I'm currently using (and it's not really a pain as I thought it would be in the beginning :)).

So, again, thanks for all comments about it. :)

Shoddyan (15004) on 7/1/2007 7:25 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Oliver Jahn wrote--]The current status is that the Upgrade through the Workshop says that I need to build a prototype first before I can upgrade. I thought this means I need to build one of the new unit model first, but I've now build plenty of them at that thing still says that I need to build a prototype first before upgrading... [/Q --end Oliver Jahn wrote--]

Yeah. That's what my memory says too. It should work. Note that it has to be built and not merely in production.

All I can suggest is maybe make sure the latest version patches are installed.

Shoddyan (15004) on 6/23/2007 8:26 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Tarathiel wrote--]Go to the Design Workshop (hit U), select the old model and click Upgrade. Or, if you only want to upgrade a single unit, press Ctrl+U. [/Q --end Tarathiel wrote--]

I'll also add that once you hit that upgrade button, be sure that the new design is what you want.... I seem to recall that sometimes the computer neglects certain special abilities when it's trying to improve the design. e.g. assigning a more hitpoints ability rather than a policing ability... even if that was what was set on the old unit.

I recommend keeping it simple in any case, having no more than 10 or so military units and a maximum of 5 former/colony units. And have them named well... since the default [Weapon Type][Unit Type][Engine Type] can sometimes get confusing with similar-but-different units.

Indra was here (20755) on 6/24/2007 5:52 AM · Permalink · Report

All units must have the CLEAN REACTOR upgrade.

unit on 8/2/2007 5:34 PM · Permalink · Report

ah, nerd we meet again.. i usually convert all my units to clean reactor also. but there are some political settings you can change that alter the max units you can support also.. clean reactor always leads to trouble making pollution for me? >> bringing in too much minerals + clean units = no mineral support cost = high mineral production = pollution = mindworm attacks

my best game ever was using the lords believers.. somehow i still owned all research? i don't bother using the basic settings (it's boring) usually the last 2-3 difficulty settings makes a challenging game (for anyone who wants a challenge)

i find the diplomatic aspects a bit finnicky.. great game tho' i still play it from time to time.. that sid meir sure loves cranking out these types of game engines..