Forums > Game Forums > Jack Nicklaus 5 > Win3x Evidence

eXo (346) on 2/9/2021 3:23 PM · Permalink · Report

I have looked for a win3x version of this game for years. I have a stack of 5 or 6 copies of this game I have purchased o eBay over the years. Each one is Win95 full 32bit. No mention in the manuals or boxes.

I know sometimes a specific region would get a Win3x version. Tivola released win3x games in Germany up until 2001/2002 even though in other regions it was only win95 versions.

That said, I would like to know what evidence was provided to sustain a win3x entry for this game at the time it was submitted.

Thank you

Rwolf (22836) on 2/9/2021 3:57 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The platform, covers and credits was submitted by one of the game producers/designers, Brad Fregger.

(Of course, with time memory can fade, but this info was submitted in 2001, and as the game itself was released in 1998 according to our info (other sources say 1997, which is probably correct - I found an archived patch 5.1 readme for the game dated 19 dec 1997 at Accolades site through wayback machine), one can hope it is mostly correct. There could have been an unreleased Win3.1 version that was submitted, or the wrong platform was submitted from the start, one way to find out would be to ask him? I located a ripped version on a non-kosher site claiming to be for win3.1...but inside it was the Win95 version.)

I looked at the review sites and Accolades website from the WayBack machine, and nowhere is Win3.1 mentioned, only windows 95, so I think this Win3.1 version was not released.

eXo (346) on 2/11/2021 9:40 PM · Permalink · Report

I pulled up CGW March 98, which reviewed the game.

I specifically states it is a Windows 95 game. http://www.cgwmuseum.org/galleries/issues/cgw_164.pdf Page 217