🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Risen > Awesome review

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 4/30/2011 9:58 PM · Permalink · Report

See here. My favorite quote:

The thing that annoys me most about Risen is the brazen way it steals ideas from so many better sources and pretends that they are in some way original. After half an hour an experienced RPG-er will likely be suffering from severe gamer deja-vu: chests are hidden and opened exactly as they are in Fable, the item collection and filing is practically the same as in Monster Hunter, dialogue and character interactions are a very poor copy of the system used by Bethesda, the setting has been done a hundred times before and the whole thing ends up feeling like a collection of leftovers.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/30/2011 10:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Judging from the review, the bloke didn't play the game very long. Doesn't seem to like RPGs either. :p

Daniel Saner (3503) on 5/1/2011 8:11 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

That always pisses me off. When critics pretend like art and entertainment are supposed to (or even able to) be 100% original, and that no one should ever get inspiration from anywhere else. Compare to the popular "rip-off! rip-off!" cries when one piece of music uses a similar element or is in a similar style to another track (or even a licensed cover/remix). It's always about taking everything you've seen so far, analysing what works, throw away what doesn't and keep and try to improve what does. If developers are supposed to no longer copy mechanics and elements, we might just as well quit altogether, because Tetris was pretty much the end of the line. The review is more concerned with name-calling the developers than actually see whether the game is good; if you end up talking about "moral high ground" of the developers, you failed as a game critic. My POV.

Indra was here (20755) on 5/8/2011 8:14 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Daniel Saner wrote--]That always pisses me off. When critics pretend like art and entertainment are supposed to (or even able to) be 100% original, and that no one should ever get inspiration from anywhere else. [/Q --end Daniel Saner wrote--] To the developer's defense for what it's worth, I am somewhat extremely impressed that the game doesn't have those little annoying game loading sequences every time you enter a room/other region...and any loading sequences that do exist, only exist for a few seconds. Er, if I remember correctly.

Other categories of the game may warrant some harsh criticism, but as far as programming stability goes, it rarely gets better than this.

Hey, why am I praising a game? This isn't my usual character.