🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Beyond Atlantis II > Direct X installation Issue

Josie hun on 12/22/2008 11:42 PM · Permalink · Report

When i try to install this game, i get an error message when i come to the installation of Direct X 7. If i select Yes, i get this:

ISDX_ERR.BADWINDOWSVERSION_entry not found in the string table

and then a severe warning and the install closes. If i select No, then the game closes too, and i am unable to complete installation of the game. I currently have Direct X 9 installed.

i have a month old Intel Dual Core 3.0Ghz PC with 4G of RAM and a NVidia GeForce 8400GS video card, running on a Windows XP Home OS. The machine is up to date with all updates ( except DX 10)

Could you please suggest a way to fix this error? Thanks in advance :)

Foxhack (32100) on 12/23/2008 12:36 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

... You shouldn't need to install DirectX 7. DirectX is backwards compatible with older versions. I don't see why the installation program wouldn't let you proceed without installing it...

Corn Popper (69027) on 12/23/2008 2:09 AM · Permalink · Report

that's not actually true is all cases... older versions have stuff the news don't have

Foxhack (32100) on 12/23/2008 2:18 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--]that's not actually true is all cases... older versions have stuff the news don't have [/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--]I'm actually surprised nobody's written a DirectX version simulator for such games.

Slug Camargo (583) on 12/23/2008 6:17 AM · Permalink · Report

Your problem, while not too widespread, apparently has been noted, and a patch was released. From what I gather it has to do with processors over 800MHz (which would make this the first game that actually resents the presence of SSE, it's kind of funny in a geeky way =P ) --Anyway, like I said, a patch was released, but since the company folded, there's no legal way to get it today; at least as far as I found out.

The only practical solution I found after a little googlin' around would be to download a pirated copy, since the ones I found come with the patch bundled. But here we enter in that gray area we discussed a few times in the past: How wrong is it for you to download a pirated copy in a case like this, in which you already own the original and you suspect the pirated copy might fix a problem you know the developer will not? I guess that's for you to decide. Or maybe to discuss with a lawyer.

All I can tell you is: Try googling for +Atlantis +"The New World" +patch and you should be on your merry way in no time. Good luck.