Forums > Game Forums > The Quivering > Win3x compatability

eXo (346) on 5/28/2015 6:28 PM · Permalink · Report

My copy of the game has "install.exe" and "setup95.exe"

Install initiates the DOS setup while setup95 does run under both Win 3.x (with win32s) and Win95, however after installing the games files it then attempts to install directx which crashes win 3.x

This seems like one of those games where Win 3.x is incorrectly listed as a platform. Either because the installer runs in it (but not the game) or because it can shell out and run the DOS game.

Before I filed this as a correction however, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something like an alternate version that was specifically developed with Win 3x in mind (unlikely in my opinion, as it wouldn't make sense to develop two windows versions, one with directx and one without).

Terok Nor (42028) on 5/28/2015 6:56 PM · Permalink · Report

You're right, it's very unlikely. This was added back in the old days, and no source was given. 3.x has been sent back.

Rwolf (22836) on 5/28/2015 10:51 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start eXo wrote--] -snip- it wouldn't make sense to develop two windows versions, one with directx and one without -snip- [/Q --end eXo wrote--]

Then there is the case of 'S.C.A.R.A.B.', which did just that, according to a readme file for the game, you can run it with or without directx, the difference is multiplayer depending on directplay. It was still only for Win95 though.

eXo (346) on 5/29/2015 2:14 PM · Permalink · Report

There is always an exception to every logical rule =)