🕹ī¸ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Ultima VII: The Black Gate > Fame and fortune await! Or at least a footnote

DJP Mom (11333) on 3/3/2008 3:17 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hey, look who I found :

From The History of Computer Role-Playing Games Part III: The Platinum and Modern Ages (1994-2004), a Gamasutra article from last year:

"Just to give you some idea of how intriguing the world of Black Gate can be, I'll quote a bit from Oleg Roschin's detailed review of the game on Mobygames. At one point in the game, Roschin's party met up with a unicorn, who, as legend has it, can only communicate with virgins. The first time around, Roschin's Avatar was, in fact, a virgin, and admitted as much to the unicorn, who then talked to him.

On a later visit, however, the Avatar had slept with a harlot at Buccaneer's Den, and the Unicorn refused to speak with him. As usual, we see that Garriott subtlety; sure, you can do sinful things, but you won't always get away with it. Later on, Bethesda would capitalize on this high level of interactivity in its celebrated Elder Scrolls series."

Fame! :-)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/3/2008 5:05 PM · Permalink · Report

LOL!

That's my curse - nobody knows Oleg Roschin, the jazz pianist, but everyone knows Oleg Roschin, the videogame reviewer :)

Virgil (8563) on 3/3/2008 5:40 PM · Permalink · Report

Oh, Ultima. This once again reminded me of a missed opportunity to see Richard Garriott alive or even talk to him at last Saturday. Was busy celebrating my own birthday.

DJP Mom (11333) on 3/3/2008 6:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, Happy late Birthday!

Virgil (8563) on 3/3/2008 9:59 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks, I'm full of cosmic fear now.

—- (1623) on 3/3/2008 10:33 PM · Permalink · Report

No worries, not everyone knows Oleg Roschin the videogame reviewer either.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/4/2008 6:08 AM · Permalink · Report

No worries, not everyone knows Oleg Roschin the videogame reviewer either.

But he is still more famous than Oleg the jazz pianist... People actually tell me after a concert: "Wow, great Confirmation solo man, but I kinda liked your Bioshock review more!"

Indra was here (20755) on 3/19/2008 8:35 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start JazzOleg wrote--]No worries, not everyone knows Oleg Roschin the videogame reviewer either.

But he is still more famous than Oleg the jazz pianist... People actually tell me after a concert: "Wow, great Confirmation solo man, but I kinda liked your Bioshock review more!" [/Q --end JazzOleg wrote--]

Don't worry, mate. We all know you here, and in the end that's all that matters...

From sitcom Cheers:

"...you wanna be where everybody knows your name..."