Forums > Game Forums > Mario & Luigi > Different name and creator

brolyssj (1) on 7/4/2014 9:03 PM · Permalink · Report

This game is called Mario & Luigi, and it was developed by Mike Wiering: http://www.wieringsoftware.nl/mario/

vileyn0id_8088 (21040) on 7/4/2014 9:30 PM · Permalink · Report

Good catch - I know I've seen this game under more than one name (starting way back in my high school's computer lab) and wondered what was up with it.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 7/4/2014 10:09 PM · Permalink · Report

I remember once catching it distributed as warez on a BBS back in the day, with four more disks of filler to make it look like something other than what it was 8)

Havoc Crow (29904) on 7/9/2014 7:27 AM · Permalink · Report

Original contributor of the game here.

The story "checks out" so to say. The graphics are the same, the controls are the same. The game called Mario!!! looks obviously unfinished (no title screen, no status bar...)

Those curious can see here the text files included with Mario!!!. Now that I know that this version is a rip-off (of an unfinished, barebones 4-level version to boot), reading these makes me wonder about the depths to which people can sink.

What is the preferred procedure in these cases? What should we do with this game entry - delete it, or rework it by changing the title, credits, etc?

Terok Nor (42228) on 7/9/2014 7:54 AM · Permalink · Report

"Mario!!! was programmed with Borland Turbo Pascal 7.0, Borland Turbo C v2.00, Microsoft QuickBASIC v4.5."

That sentence alone should raise some red flags. That's really something. So he just hacked away title screen and status bar?

I agree that repurposing this entry is probably the best way to handle this.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 7/9/2014 3:01 PM · Permalink · Report

The thing is, I believe its widespread pirated distribution warrants at least an alt title and mention as trivia.

Terok Nor (42228) on 7/10/2014 4:22 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Sure, go ahead and submit.

Otherwise, this should be good now. Title was changed, screenshots removed, tech specs and credits fixed, release info changed to the source download release.

Игги Друге (46653) on 7/11/2014 1:49 PM · Permalink · Report

You can say whatever you want, it looks very strange for a game everyone had in 1994 to have a release date of 2001.