🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Pro Race Driver > Windows US manual credits

Cantillon (77154) on 2/6/2023 9:16 AM · Permalink · Report

The original credit submission by Jeanne lists Richard Applin as QA Technician. Since I could not find anything about him online, I had a closer look.

Her source is "Manual", which I suppose is the US one, but she did not provide any images and I cannot find it online either. A later credit submission has a screenshot of the UK manual, in which all the QA people match up except for Richard Applin who is not listed there.

I did find the PS2 US manual, where the credits seem to be missing except for Special Thanks.

So: anyone who has this manual handy to have a look?

Rwolf (22827) on 2/6/2023 1:14 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't have a manual, but it could be worth checking if this is a misspelling of Richard Aplin, who has a history working with the developer Codemasters, according to some Wikipedia pages.

Cantillon (77154) on 2/6/2023 1:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, I thought of that possibility as well. But since that guy describes his work at Codemasters as: "I spent several years pulling games consoles apart and examining their innards while working on the Game Genie cheat devices, reverse engineering, building development systems. Mmmm circuit boards and logic analysers and FPGA programmers and wires and splashes of solder all over my jeans. ", it seems rather unlikely he would do QA.

Rwolf (22827) on 2/6/2023 1:42 PM · Permalink · Report

Well...I have a similar hardware background, while not in the games industry, but I do like playing games. At the time of release of this game, Mr. Aplin could have been retired, so who knows what he might have done in his spare time?

Cantillon (77154) on 2/6/2023 3:00 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Actually he was only 17 when he started working at Mastertronic (https://www.linkedin.com/in/richaplin/details/experience/). At the time Pro Race Driver came out he was 32 (and working at Blam in San Francisco).

Rwolf (22827) on 2/6/2023 3:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Right then, no further argument there. (But humans are not one-trick ponies, what was I was trying to say)