Forums > Game Forums > Amulets & Armor > Freeware rerelease

leilei (343) on 4/22/2013 12:05 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

The game now has a new official site and an improved release available for free.

(Trivia and release info has already been submitted)

Game Guesser (28) on 4/22/2013 1:20 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start leilei wrote--]The game now has a new official site and an improved release available for free.

(Trivia and release info has already been submitted) [/Q --end leilei wrote--]

oh neat. Maybe within the next decade I'll remember to actually talk about it to some people. Even though it almost certainly didn't influence anything, I feel it's a pretty important footnote in the history of games that combine loot, network play and nuanced level design - in a sense, it's one of the earliest examples of a pseudo-genre that games like Dark Souls, Borderlands or any number of other games are based around. It's also one of those fascinating first-person games inhabiting the space between Wolfenstein/Doom 2D and Quake/Unreal 3D, and...man, I don't need to tell you these things, you probably know the game inside and out.

Speaking of which, I had a question I was going to ask you about the game and the different versions of it, but I seem to have totally forgotten it now. Was it about the original demo? Or maybe it was to do with the TCRF article.... ah, who knows. I'm sure if it was worth doing you did it, or plan to do it.

Here's hoping things turn out well for this project!

Donatello (466) on 4/22/2013 5:13 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dais wrote--] [Q2 --start leilei wrote--]The game now has a new official site and an improved release available for free.

(Trivia and release info has already been submitted) [/Q2 --end leilei wrote--] Dark Souls, Borderlands [/Q --end Dais wrote--]

What in the name of lord do these games have in common?

Game Guesser (28) on 4/22/2013 7:26 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Donatello wrote--] [Q2 --start Dais wrote--] [Q3 --start leilei wrote--]The game now has a new official site and an improved release available for free.

(Trivia and release info has already been submitted) [/Q3 --end leilei wrote--] Dark Souls, Borderlands [/Q2 --end Dais wrote--]

What in the name of lord do these games have in common? [/Q --end Donatello wrote--]

don't judge me you've not had my life

Indra was here (20752) on 4/22/2013 8:06 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dais wrote--] Don't judge me, you've not had my life. [/Q --end Dais wrote--]Which basically is the entire plot script for every emo-based movie. No, I have not recovered from watching the Twilight trilogy. :p

Fred VT (25949) on 4/22/2013 12:42 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra was here wrote--] [Q2 --start Dais wrote--] Don't judge me, you've not had my life. [/Q2 --end Dais wrote--]Which basically is the entire plot script for every emo-based movie. No, I have not recovered from watching the Twilight trilogy. :p [/Q --end Indra was here wrote--]

You've..... watched... the trilogy?? Yet you seem to have kept your mental health at a very decent level... How in the world?

chirinea (47496) on 4/22/2013 12:57 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Fred VT wrote--] You've..... watched... the trilogy?? Yet you seem to have kept your mental health at a very decent level... How in the world? [/Q --end Fred VT wrote--]Indra with a decent level of mental health? You're kidding, right?

Also, it isn't a trilogy. There are 4 books and 5 movies.

Indra was here (20752) on 4/22/2013 1:06 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--] [Q2 --start Fred VT wrote--] You've..... watched... the trilogy?? Yet you seem to have kept your mental health at a very decent level... How in the world? [/Q2 --end Fred VT wrote--]Indra with a decent level of mental health? You're kidding, right?

Also, it isn't a trilogy. There are 4 books and 5 movies. [/Q --end chirinea wrote--] What he said. He's my psychologist. :p

Eh? Five movies? Whaddya mean five movies? They're still going to make two more?
Good gawd have mercy on us all. It's the end up times I tell you. The end of times!

Oh, wait. That happened already. :p

Fred VT (25949) on 4/23/2013 4:50 PM · Permalink · Report

I said "decent" not "average" ;P I believe he just works....differently XD

MrFlibble (18266) on 4/23/2013 4:47 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start leilei wrote--]The game now has a new official site and an improved release available for free.

(Trivia and release info has already been submitted) [/Q --end leilei wrote--] Can't believe that, this is awesome! Did you take part in making this happen? Thanks for the good news!!!

Rola (8483) on 4/23/2013 9:41 PM · Permalink · Report

Too bad they didn't bother to include a manual...

MrFlibble (18266) on 4/24/2013 2:37 PM · Permalink · Report

I'd say the website in its current form lacks some important information, it would be nice if they included some info on the original development team and the first releases of the game, who the current guys behind the release are (the same team, some new guys etc.?), what is the current release's license (I fancy it's included in the archive but anyway).

BTW leilei, do you have some form of feedback with the developers?

Rola (8483) on 4/24/2013 3:22 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MrFlibble wrote--]I fancy it's included in the archive[/Q --end MrFlibble wrote--] It is:

"Amulets & Armor is owned by Exiguus Entertainment.

Amulets & Armor (executable) is released for free. No sale or distribution is allowed of the game except by Exiguus Entertainment or those who have received written permission to distribute the game."

MrFlibble (18266) on 4/24/2013 4:04 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rola wrote--] [Q2 --start MrFlibble wrote--]I fancy it's included in the archive [/Q2 --end MrFlibble wrote--] It is:

"Amulets & Armor is owned by Exiguus Entertainment.

Amulets & Armor (executable) is released for free. No sale or distribution is allowed of the game except by Exiguus Entertainment or those who have received written permission to distribute the game." [/Q --end Rola wrote--] Exiguus Entertainment? Nice! Is that the same guys as the original United Software Artists?

Rola (8483) on 4/24/2013 7:01 PM · Permalink · Report

Ask them, not me: http://amuletsandarmordev.wordpress.com/about/

leilei (343) on 4/25/2013 1:30 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MrFlibble wrote--] Nice! Is that the same guys as the original United Software Artists? [/Q --end MrFlibble wrote--] Lysle Shields at least.

MrFlibble (18266) on 4/25/2013 5:29 PM · Permalink · Report

It used a home grown Doom style (2.5D) engine, all in-house built resources, a novel spell casting system, and plenty of levels.

Wait, A&A does NOT use id Tech 1? Somehow I had the idea that it does...

leilei (343) on 4/25/2013 11:27 PM · Permalink · Report

It uses the Doom map format so they don't have to program an editor. They used DeeP to edit the levels.

MrFlibble (18266) on 4/27/2013 2:44 PM · Permalink · Report

So they just used a map format but the engine is their 100% original work? Cool :)

BTW, if I may go off-topic a bit, what's your opinion about the engine of Quiver?