Forums > Find a game > Help me with this mid 90s PC alchemy game!

valerie taylor on 4/2/2014 10:17 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hoping you all can help me out cause its been driving me crazy. I played this on PC (Probably Win95 by then?) but it could have very well been released elsewhere.

It's basically a POV game where you don't ever actually see your character. I played this game around the same time as a different one (Silent Steel) and they were similar in that they both had about 4-8 discs you swapped out as you played more and more. And, there was actual real footage of people, except unlike Silent Steel which was basically like watching a movie...this game was mostly computer generated save for the snippets of the actors. The only real footage was the four characters who represented the elements (earth, air, fire, water) Part of your goal was to release them from their chambers. They were all centrally located in the main room/foyer and basically were laid to rest until released like in a coffin.

Game play was all puzzles and figuring out combinations of things to get you to advance to the next room. And reading books off the shelf for clues on how to solve the various objectives.

I can't remember much more than that..other than the 4 elemental people and roaming around this giant place solving puzzles to open secret doors and stuff.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :) I really think this game would be fun to play, even today.

Game Guesser (28) on 4/2/2014 11:25 PM · Permalink · Report

You're almost certainly thinking of Zork Nemesis, which is also generally thought of as "Zork without Zork". The entry on Wikipedia goes into more explicit plot detail.

valerie taylor on 4/3/2014 6:26 PM · Permalink · Report

That's it! That's it!! Thank you so much! I was just reading about it and apparently someone who was also involved in the show X Files had their hands in the game also. Which would explain why my mom might've gotten it for me, because i'm not familiar with any of the other "Zork" games. :)

chirinea (47495) on 4/3/2014 9:03 PM · Permalink · Report

Awesome, glad you found it! Please, rename your first post to "[SOLVED] Help me with this mid 90s PC alchemy game!" so we can keep things organized here. Thank you!