Forums > News > Zeebo new console released in Brazil

MichaelPalin (1414) on 6/14/2009 2:41 PM · Permalink · Report

On May 25th, the new console Zeebo, by the electronics Brazilian company Tec Toy was launched. Targeted as a console for emerging economies, the new device has been released only in Brazil, with Russia and China in sight as next markets.

Zeebo works through a dedicated 3G network from where games are released, as it doesn't use neither cartridges, nor optical discs. It costs $249 and includes FIFA 09, Need for Speed: Carbon and Brain Challenge, with Quake I, Quake II, and Prey Evil to download for free. All of them translated to Portuguese.

Therefore there is a new platform to contribute, so sharpen your keyboards and be ready for the moment it's added to MG.

LepricahnsGold (142744) on 6/15/2009 2:03 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MichaelPalin wrote--]Therefore there is a new platform to contribute, so sharpen your keyboards and be ready for the moment it's added to MG. [/Q --end MichaelPalin wrote--] Maybe, maybe not.

From Wikipedia:
The first official Zeebo review was made by UOL Jogos, a popular Brazilian gaming portal. Zeebo was criticized for poor control response time, sluggish menu navigation, downloads via the ZeeboNet 3G network that took upwards of 5-times longer than promised, authentication problems with the network, and, most importantly, badly ported games (with the exception of Double Dragon). The final conclusion was that Zeebo enters the market with a host of problems to conquer and that the overall quality is low, which could cause doubts about the console's future, and that the company needs to start releasing quality games and to justify its cost if it wants to gain popularity. For now, Zeebo is only a console "of promises".

Xoleras (66141) on 6/15/2009 2:23 PM · Permalink · Report

Even if Zeebo would vanish after a few games, it would still be a valid platform, and ultimately be added to the site. :)

Foxhack (32100) on 6/15/2009 6:39 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Xoleras wrote--]Even if Zeebo would vanish after a few games, it would still be a valid platform, and ultimately be added to the site. :) [/Q --end Xoleras wrote--]I'm still waiting for the freakin' FDS to be added and I've complained about it for SIX YEARS. :P

Xoleras (66141) on 6/15/2009 7:29 PM · Permalink · Report

I said ultimately, not tomorrow. :P

chirinea (47495) on 6/15/2009 2:48 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start LepricahnsGold wrote--]Maybe, maybe not.

From Wikipedia:
The first official Zeebo review was made by UOL Jogos, a popular Brazilian gaming portal. Zeebo was criticized for poor control response time, sluggish menu navigation, downloads via the ZeeboNet 3G network that took upwards of 5-times longer than promised, authentication problems with the network, and, most importantly, badly ported games (with the exception of Double Dragon). The final conclusion was that Zeebo enters the market with a host of problems to conquer and that the overall quality is low, which could cause doubts about the console's future, and that the company needs to start releasing quality games and to justify its cost if it wants to gain popularity. For now, Zeebo is only a console "of promises". [/Q --end LepricahnsGold wrote--] I bet that was written by a Brazilian. Brazilians are most skeptical about Zeebo, and for good reasons. But I say the platform must be given some time to get mature. As Oliver said, it is already valid to be contributed. After all, Nintendo's Virtual Boy is here!

I've already filled the wiki, I'm just waiting for the admins to take a look.

LepricahnsGold (142744) on 6/15/2009 11:15 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]I bet that was written by a Brazilian.[/Q --end chirinea wrote--]Actually, I'm American born and bred. I DO tend to be a pessimist so I would probably fit right in.

chirinea (47495) on 6/16/2009 1:51 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start LepricahnsGold wrote--] [Q2 --start chirinea wrote--]I bet that was written by a Brazilian. [/Q2 --end chirinea wrote--]Actually, I'm American born and bred. I DO tend to be a pessimist so I would probably fit right in. [/Q --end LepricahnsGold wrote--] I meant the article on Wikipedia, Lepricahns!

Charly2.0 (285667) on 6/17/2009 8:39 AM · Permalink · Report

interesting.. but I'm still waiting for platforms such as Commodore C16/+4 or Interton VC 4000... much older, quite a few games but not listed.

robotriot (9015) on 6/17/2009 12:16 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Charly2.0 wrote--]interesting.. but I'm still waiting for platforms such as Commodore C16/+4 or Interton VC 4000... much older, quite a few games but not listed. [/Q --end Charly2.0 wrote--]

I second that. Those older platforms should be added as well!

Indra was here (20754) on 6/19/2009 6:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Then the next question interested parties should ask is, how does one add a new platform to MobyGames?

[Followed by the sound of several running feet]

Sic Coyote (47) on 6/22/2009 1:26 AM · Permalink · Report

I thought they'd ditched the Phantom. ??