☕ Drink your coffee or tea with your very own MobyGames mug

Forums > MobyGames > MUDs

Indra was here (20752) on 8/20/2009 12:26 AM · Permalink · Report

Do we support online MUDs yet?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 8/20/2009 7:36 AM · Permalink · Report

I don't remember seeing one here yet, but if we host entries for Habitat, Second Life and Legend of the Red Dragon, MUDS may as well be here. If they're not, I imagine it's only because it hasn't occurred to anyone who cares to submit them.

The only question is what do you list as the platform, since they can be played remotely on anything with an internet connection.

Indra was here (20752) on 8/20/2009 8:52 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]The only question is what do you list as the platform, since they can be played remotely on anything with an internet connection. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] Browser?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 8/21/2009 12:11 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

No, telnet.

It's true, the "the program runs on the server (farm), and serve up output to the user's platform-agnostic terminal" conventions apply to both telnet and browser games (well, of the non-Java, non-Flash variety), but despite strong similarities also with BBS door games and modern MMORPGs (and play-by-e-mail games as well as the elusive and forbidden IRC games), we just can't manage to wrap the greatest brains of our generation around it.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 8/21/2009 12:15 AM · Permalink · Report

conventions apply to both telnet and browser games (well, of the non-Java, non-Flash variety)

However, some helpful fool has apparently provided a java-based browser frontend for telnet MUD access so if you like you can try shoehorning them in as Browser games. But I think the admins will be wise to your workarounds.

Indra was here (20752) on 8/21/2009 12:35 AM · Permalink · Report

Most feasible approach is adding telnet as a new platform I suspect. Though that somewhat sounds a tad weird. Will visit mudconnector again one of these days.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 8/21/2009 4:52 AM · Permalink · Report

It's a workaround that I would settle for, but I don't think it will satisfy our gatekeepers.

One imagines that most MUD backends run on various flavours of UNIX -- much as we have various BBS door games listed as belonging to the platforms on which they were run locally rather than played remotely, that would ultimately make the most sense for MUDs I think. But will we ever have a non-Linux option here for the *nix games (they are many, and influential) that predate it? Likely it will be shouted down as a "software platform" (telnet isn't even that, really) and then it just becomes a matter of us not supporting the mainframes and minicomputers that ran those flavours.

Don't let me stop you -- I'm just preparing you for the opposition you can expect 8)

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 8/20/2009 7:37 AM · Permalink · Report

PS -- "online" MUDs? Are there any other kinds?

vedder (70957) on 8/20/2009 8:55 AM · Permalink · Report

Splitscreen MUDs? :)

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 8/20/2009 4:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Well yes, Zyll does work that way, doesn't it? 8)