🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > MobyGames Credits Toolkit

MegamanX64 (16003) on 11/9/2009 7:13 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

from the readme file:

-- Description --

Two utilities for making credits easier and faster to add to mobygames:

• MB_Helper.exe is a program that assists you in adding credits.

• Classify Helper is a script that automatically tries to set the correct category for each credit role.

Adding credits is kinda my thing here at MobyGames, but I quickly realized that it was kind if tedious to do. Being a programmer I decided to make a tool to aid me when adding credits. You see, programmers like me rather spend time on making a tool to do a task, instead of doing the task, even if it takes longer... Eventually it became quite a neat tool that I have used for lots of points! So I made another tool, this time for classifying the credits.

Together they save quite a lot of time when adding credits! Now is the time to share this with you all. I present to you, the amazing MobyGames Credits Toolkit! Ok, so the name is not that amazing, but the rest is. I promise :-)

If you feel like trying it out, you can download it here:

http://www.rlvision.com/files/mobygames_credits_toolkit.zip

The above link will always point to the latest version!

vedder (70822) on 11/9/2009 7:16 PM · Permalink · Report

Sounds neat, I'll be sure to try it out, next time I add credits!

Sicarius (61518) on 11/9/2009 7:33 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The script I'll try out but the use of the mb_helper I don't really see. Enterting the credits into notepad or directly to MobyGames - it's still the same work as far as I can tell. Perhaps even more since I've to follow strict guidelines on how the textfile has to look like. Or am I missing something here?

Edith: The script is official Awesome! What a time-saver.

Sciere (930490) on 11/9/2009 7:34 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I assume MegamanX64 often uses the text function in his PDF reader to grab (copy) all names at once from the digital manual. That way, fixing the structure is much easier than adding all names one by one.

MegamanX64 (16003) on 11/9/2009 7:59 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]I assume MegamanX64 often uses the text function in his PDF reader to grab (copy) all names at once from the digital manual. That way, fixing the structure is much easier than adding all names one by one. [/Q --end Sciere wrote--]

Yes, but even when I write everything manually, which I often do too, I still prefer to first write a text file and then use this tool. Since the add page is "interactive" it kind of disturbs your writing. Separating the two is a good thing to me.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95234) on 11/9/2009 8:25 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MegamanX64 wrote--]Yes, but even when I write everything manually, which I often do too, I still prefer to first write a text file and then use this tool. Since the add page is "interactive" it kind of disturbs your writing. Separating the two is a good thing to me. [/Q --end MegamanX64 wrote--] Indeed, I always type anything longer than about a dozen names out in notepad first so I can get all the names down quickly, then just c/p into the fields in the wizard. Doesn't help that I'm often translating names and roles from Japanese, too...I'm nowhere near good enough to do that on the fly. :)

Will definitely give this a look next time I'm entering a longer credits set!

DJP Mom (11333) on 11/9/2009 11:41 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start djsquarewave wrote--] Indeed, I always type anything longer than about a dozen names out in notepad first so I can get all the names down quickly, then just c/p into the fields in the wizard. [/Q --end djsquarewave wrote--]Same here, xcept I use WordPad :)

Foxhack (32100) on 11/9/2009 11:54 PM · Permalink · Report

I actually transcribe credits to Notepad++, separate them into groups if there's more than six in one entry, and then paste them one by one.

Sciere (930490) on 11/9/2009 7:33 PM · Permalink · Report

That sounds brilliant, I'll give it a try for the next list of credits I submit.

Sciere (930490) on 11/14/2009 2:42 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Classify Helper cannot be trusted blindly at all, but it got about one third right. It helps for the other two thirds as well, as it usually is pretty close to the correct main category, meaning you have to scroll a lot less to select the right role. I'll definitely keep on using this, it speeds up the process a lot.

MegamanX64 (16003) on 11/15/2009 4:51 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]Classify Helper cannot be trusted blindly at all, but it got about one third right. It helps for the other two thirds as well, as it usually is pretty close to the correct main category, meaning you have to scroll a lot less to select the right role. I'll definitely keep on using this, it speeds up the process a lot. [/Q --end Sciere wrote--]

I'm glad to hear that you find it useful!

It's hard to think of every possible combination. After all, it's only a pretty simple script. But as you say, it does help a lot even if it's not perfect. But It is important to manually check every entry and judge if it is correct or not.

Tip: If you use the GreaseMonkey script instead of the extension it is possible to edit the script if there are entries that it can not determine correctly.

MegamanX64 (16003) on 12/20/2009 11:28 AM · Permalink · Report

I have updated the toolkit to v1.01, adding F12 as an alternative key to Pause, since pause is not present or easily accessible on all keyboards (such as laptops). Thanks to Ben K for this suggestion!

Same download link as before:

http://www.rlvision.com/files/mobygames_credits_toolkit.zip

Sciere (930490) on 12/20/2009 11:33 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I'm wondering, is there any way you could have all the classifications (titles + selected role) that are entered (preferably by a selected pool of experienced contributors) to an online database you can pull from? That way, through a collaborative effort, all possible roles would eventually receive the correct classification, and for duplicates the most common role would be chosen. It could become a dynamic tool that becomes smarter with every submission, and a tremendous help for new contributors.

Or am I going to far? =)

MegamanX64 (16003) on 12/20/2009 1:13 PM · Permalink · Report

I totally agree with you that we should have a database of classifications. In my opinion this should however be built in to the system. For example, a problem with my list is that it's quite weak, because if the order of the roles in the dropdown box on the page changes, my tool will no longer function correctly.

By using the current moby database it would be possible to extract roles and make a master database based on statistics. You could also make it better than my tool by taking into account stuff like the group name and other "intelligence". (But it would need to be manually checked also.) I think this is the best way to go. I would actually be quite interested in doing it myself, but I don't think the admins would want me messing around with the database and scripts... :-)

Sciere (930490) on 12/20/2009 5:32 PM · Permalink · Report

I think you should contact Brian directly. He doesn't read the forums much and I'm sure he would be interested to work on this with you.

Indra was here (20755) on 12/24/2009 6:27 PM · Permalink · Report

Shouldn't we put this thread somewhere up on top permanently before it gets lost through the ages?

Sciere (930490) on 12/24/2009 9:41 PM · Permalink · Report

I've made it a sticky.

Foxhack (32100) on 1/6/2010 10:54 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Some notes:

MB Helper.exe:
* The program spazzes out if you press Pause or F12 while having it focused.
* This really needs a Minimize button.
* This really needs a "Do not capitalize" option.
* This really needs a "Paste X lines of credits per pass" option too. So we can paste two, three, or four (or more) credits lines in one shot.

MegamanX64 (16003) on 1/30/2010 6:05 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Sorry for taking so long. Your suggestions are good so I have updated the program with these new features. Same download link as before. Thanks!

A note : The repeat option is convenient, but because MobyGames has a limit on the number of entries you can enter in one go, you must be careful not to go past this limit. If you do, you must back the list so you don't miss any entries.