🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Where is Alpha Protocol?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/13/2010 3:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Why isn't the game in the database? It's been in a WIP state for over a month now, if I'm not mistaken. What's going on?

Sciere (930490) on 7/13/2010 3:59 PM · Permalink · Report

Sicarius is working on it.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/13/2010 4:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Still? Ok, what can I do... I just think it's a bit weird that you can simply "block" a game like this for such a long amount of time.

Sciere (930490) on 7/13/2010 4:17 PM · Permalink · Report

It's because they take a lot of preparation, they come with covers, screenshot sets and full credit listings right away.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/13/2010 4:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, well, that's the part I don't quite understand... Isn't it better first to submit the game itself, and then gradually add the other stuff?

My problem is with that indefinite WIP time. What happens if the contributor forgets to work on a game or whatever? So it will be just in WIP forever? Or "purged from the system", and then we'll have to wait 2 weeks until it can be submitted again?..

chirinea (47495) on 7/13/2010 4:42 PM · Permalink · Report

Sicarius' work is usually worth the wait.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 7/13/2010 4:49 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]Yeah, well, that's the part I don't quite understand... Isn't it better first to submit the game itself, and then gradually add the other stuff? [/q] No, because then there is a big change that someone else will snatch it. At least for popular games. Also if you work on multiple titles at the same time it gets easier to manage.

I do it exactly the same way: holding my entry back until I am finished with everything related to it. Granted, I am usually a little bit faster :)

Sciere (930490) on 7/13/2010 4:56 PM · Permalink · Report

I also think it's better that way. For new titles lots of people tend to contribute at the same time - with duplicate work and sometimes incoherent sets of shots.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/13/2010 4:59 PM · Permalink · Report

So quality over speed, eh? Okay, you've convinced me guys...

Sicarius (61518) on 7/13/2010 5:09 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I'm working on the description right now (first paragraph is finished) - so it will be in the queue in an hour or two. Depending on how long this comment takes me.

If the contributor forgets - the 2 weeks go by and it's open again. But since I don't forget about the game, I keep the WIP alive. I know its frustrating for some of you - believe me: it's even more frustrating for me. I'm deeply annoyed that this year I can't seem to be able to add many of the entries in the timely manner you were accustomed to since I've joined the club. I really want to - that's why I open up the entries in the first place. I don't even block everything anymore (I completly ignored the new Sam & Max season e.g. which Patrick finally added) because of that whole dilemma.

Why I don't open them up after a week then, when I know I won't be able to get it done fast? Well, because by that time most of the information is already up. Before I even install the game, the covers are scanned in and uploading and such, I'm in the middle of the submitting the credits and everything. What takes me the longest currently are the screenshots and the description because - unlike some other contributors, I normally make it a habit out of actually playing a game I want to write a description for. And also unlike some contributors - I don't just submit shots from the first five minutes of the game...

So I am deeply sorry for the ordeal some of you have to go through because of me. But 1) in the end I deliver quality (besides some typos in the description) and 2) only a fraction of the games I add even interest people. If I wouldn't submit an almost complete entry in the first place, most of them would be stuck with only the basic info.

Of course one could now argue: "If that's the case, why don't you just wait until you're ready and start then?" Well, I do - that's why some entries keep pending even longer because I am very aware of which games people are waiting for. Alpha Protocol is neither the only nor the longest waiting WIP at the moment...and it WILL be in shortly. But for that to happen: please excuse me now.

And by the way: there's a thread were you can keep an eye on my WIP-list. It's convinently labeled "Too many big games missing"...

Don't get me started about the backlog of iPhone-games I still want to add (none blocked!)...

Sorry if this post sounds annoyed - like I said, I feel you and I'm angry at my self because of that.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/13/2010 5:57 PM · Permalink · Report

Take it easy, bro. Everyone appreciate your high-quality submissions. It's just my damn childish impatience... I already finished my review of Alpha Protocol a month ago! :)

Sicarius (61518) on 7/13/2010 6:14 PM · Permalink · Report

it's in the queue (most likely in the 21+) - I even informed Sciere about it, which I normally wouldn't even dream of doing no matter the type of contribution. So you should be happy (for now) soon...

I'm off working on three other entries I hope to get in today too...

vedder (70822) on 7/13/2010 6:56 PM · Permalink · Report

All new submissions end up in the 72 hour queue no matter how long it has been WIPed. The queues count from the most recent change. Sorry no time to look at it now.

Kabushi (261212) on 7/13/2010 7:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Although if you go through all submissions it usually comes up among the first ones anyway.

vedder (70822) on 7/13/2010 7:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, previously WIPed entries come first in the queue of the particular date range strangely.