🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > How to tell companies with identical names apart?

Havoc Crow (29859) on 4/24/2014 5:59 AM · Permalink · Report

When contributing Release Info, if you type in the company "ABC Soft", you'll find out that there are 4 companies with that exact name in the database... and on the list that will show up, all of them will show up as "ABC Soft". It's impossible to tell which list item corresponds to which company.

I looked at the page source and scrolled to the part of the code which corresponded to the list, and saw this:

Apparently the numbers refer to the companies' internal database IDs. It would solve the problem, except I have no idea how to check these IDs either.

So, do you have suggestions how to tell apart the companies?

Parf (7873) on 4/24/2014 6:07 AM · Permalink · Report

It would be nice if there was some additional information like founding year or something in the search results as well. That would make it easier for sure.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 4/24/2014 6:17 AM · Permalink · Report

When things like this come up for developers with common names, I find the one I want and leave that tab open. Then when I have the list of identical selections I mouse over to see which URLs they direct to, and stop when I have a match. (But for companies we get a pull-down list, don't we?)

Terok Nor (42009) on 4/24/2014 6:41 AM · Permalink · Report

We had a similar problem here. So adding dates from the admin side might help.

But there's another problem: those 4 ABC's should probably only be 3 if we look at their credits: one Spanish, one Belgian, one Polish. Some credits are already mixed up.

Karsa Orlong (151834) on 4/24/2014 8:23 AM · Permalink · Report

Sorted by additional contribution panel, where we can reach the developers links :).

Nélio (1976) on 4/24/2014 12:54 PM · Permalink · Report

That interface (and the credits) is so bad that it's probably why people keep adding new entries to the database instead of selecting existent ones. And is also the reason why, when they do select, it's often the wrong one.