🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > How to document RCA Studio III

vedder (70822) on 9/7/2018 2:03 PM · Permalink · Report

After the Studio II console, RCA made a prototype for the Studio III, but they never released it. It's very similar to the Studio II with the addition of colour graphics.

They then licensed out the technology to various different companies including Toshiba, Hanimex, Sheen, Conic, Soundic, Mustang and Sheen. All of these released it under widely different names, none of them Studio III.

So the question is what should be the name for this console. I have no way of knowing which came out first could be any of those.

Luckily the console has built in games so at least the (included games) entry will have AKAs for all the other names for the console, regardless of which name is chosen.

Kabushi (261206) on 9/7/2018 2:40 PM · Permalink · Report

I have already added most of these games to the Studio II. The only difference between the Studio II and Studio III is that the Studio III has colour support. They should be fully compatible with each other.

vedder (70822) on 9/7/2018 10:14 PM · Permalink · Report

Ok good to know, I might make it a supported system tech spec then.

MAT (240968) on 9/8/2018 12:19 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Wasn't the color support pretty much the same key difference between Game Boy and Game Boy Color?

Why group platforms when there is little difference between them? If Xbox 360 was only little different than Xbox, we'd keep it together?

While I'm asking that in a puzzling way, I added Galaksija and Galaksija Plus as single platform and added them as minimum system supported :) Also included both their graphics modes into video modes supported so the right one can be selected.

Still, seeing both those examples, makes you wonder why GB and GBC weren't treated the same.

Or why the hell was Sega CD split into new platform when DOS CD-ROM games aren't split from DOS Floppy games ;)) Sega CD should simply have been CD-ROM media type for Sega Genesis platform. That would be separation and grouping enough for all the CD-ROM games.

Alaka (106107) on 9/8/2018 2:27 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MAT wrote--]Wasn't the color support pretty much the same key difference between Game Boy and Game Boy Color? [/Q --end MAT wrote--] I think the Game Boy Color has some games that can only be played on it and not the original Gameboy so I think that's the reason for the separate platform.

MAT (240968) on 9/8/2018 2:34 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Galaksija Plus games cannot be played on Galaksija either, since they are made for a different hi-res and require that new hardware present in Plus version.

CD-ROM DOS games also cannot be played without a CD-ROM drive, same as Sega CD games ;))

Foxhack (32100) on 9/8/2018 9:34 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MAT wrote--]Wasn't the color support pretty much the same key difference between Game Boy and Game Boy Color? [/Q --end MAT wrote--]Nope. GBC has a CPU that's twice as fast, plus more RAM / VRAM. There are GBC and GB compatible games, but GBC-only games exist. Most of those games won't work on a normal GB (and if you can get them to boot by bypassing the safety switch, you'll only get an error message.)

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 9/9/2018 2:42 AM · Permalink · Report

Sega CD should simply have been CD-ROM media type for Sega Genesis platform. That would be separation and grouping enough for all the CD-ROM games.

It's not too late to fix this.

Foxhack (32100) on 9/9/2018 3:13 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]Sega CD should simply have been CD-ROM media type for Sega Genesis platform. That would be separation and grouping enough for all the CD-ROM games.

It's not too late to fix this. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]There is nothing to fix. The Sega CD includes additional hardware to do the CD access and additional effects / more VRAM / etc.

https://segaretro.org/Sega_Mega-CD/Technical_specifications

I will continue to fight to split the Famicom Disk System to its own separate platform until the day I die.

nadhil dmlaki on 10/26/2018 9:07 PM · Permalink · Report

The Studio II get's a lot of hate but it has a far more interesting history behind it. RCA were working on a Studio III (which became the clone systems released abroad). 2 of the released Studio II games were in fact Studio III games. RCA was also working on a Studio IV and planning a Studio V. https://dltutuapp.com/ https://9apps.ooo/ https://showbox.run/