🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Game Genres

BOIADEIRO ERRANTE (131005) on 1/16/2021 2:49 AM · Permalink · Report

Hello MobyGames. What's the standard regarding game genres?

https://www.mobygames.com/game/xbox360/fire-pro-wrestling_

For Fire Pro Wrestling (Xbox 360) approved moments ago there's only Sports and Wrestling. I see many more entries submitted by old users who are just like that.

If I'm not mistaken that only means the contributor is not obliged to add more genres like Direct Control, Fixed Screen, 2D Scrolling, is that correct? I'm a bit confused and would like to hear from you guys. Thank you.

Alaka (106107) on 1/16/2021 3:28 AM · Permalink · Report

The only thing absolutely required is a main genre to be selected. Ideally a subgenre also to help narrow down what type of game it is if applicable. Add as much as you feel is needed although some of this stuff is superfluous information.

BOIADEIRO ERRANTE (131005) on 1/16/2021 5:20 AM · Permalink · Report

I agree that most genres are superfluous information. Main genre and subgenre, I'll keep that in mind.

Rwolf (22827) on 1/16/2021 11:17 AM · Permalink · Report

I sometimes add some missing information to the sparse genre descriptions that I find; the genre details have changed during the years, so some of the selections were not available for early submissions - sometimes the game details is unavailable to an original submitter, but can come to light in later produced videos or screenshots or manual scans.

I like to use the detailed selections when searching for games, and this can narrow down the resulting lists.