🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Off Topic > creating online database - request for help

Rola (8483) on 6/19/2011 5:33 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yes, I guess I'm addicted to online databases...

Not that I'm disenchanted by the slow approval time at MobyGames (not at all ;-) , I've been planning a project on my own, something I could work on when boredom/depression strikes. I need a sense of purpose to survive.

The point is that noone taught me web programming - and to be frank with you I don't like coding much, despite previous experience (although very limited).

I've posted my request on few forums, hoping I'll find someone who's learning the ropes just like me and would like to work on something in order to gain experience. My project is fairly ambitious and would certainly look good in anybody's resume.

But to my despair I found nobody. There was one guy who had the experience and I hoped him to at least guide me in spare time, but I guess he was't serious (while I am). I do realize that such project normally cost fair amount of money, but I've seen bigger ones completed by enthusiasts themselves - MobyGames being one example.

Couldn't sit idle for so long - I'm a self-learner so despite lack of experience I've managed to put my own detailed guidelines into MySQL code (compiled without a hitch, so I guess it's OK?). But I know this is still far from its final implementation. PHP lies ahead. I'm doing an IT course, but for this knowledge I need to wait another full year! I'm tired of waiting...

Seriously, it's hard to work on such a big thing all alone, without even mental support. I do all research, visual design for website, found people who'd like to contribute (articles, collections), managed to design the whole structure for that thing, but don't expect from a lone newbie to do everything!

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi...

vedder (70822) on 6/19/2011 9:12 AM · Permalink · Report

My advise to you, create some visual mock-ups of what you're trying to achieve first. You'll find it's much easier to persuade people to help/join you on something if you can visually entice them, than when all you have to show for is your own goodwill.

When I was still active in the Jedi Knight modding community I saw this all the time, if people asked for help but had nothing to show for, they always fell on deaf ears. But if people who already showed of their cool screenshots asked for help, a bunch of people always jumped on the bandwagon.

The same is true in the game industry of course. If a developer steps to a publisher or investors for money or a publishing contract with nothing to show for but their good intentions the chances are very slim that they'll get it (unless they have a prior track record of good games). But show these people a pre-rendered movie or some slides drawn up by a concept artist and you have their attention.

I'm not sure what you want to create, but for a database of course "pretty screenshots" might not be a possibility. But you could for example have a simple slideshow that shows of some of the neat info your site is going to be able to extract from your database and what kind if complex queries the user can input. It can be a sort of step by step guide and it can simply be made in PowerPoint, Flash, PhotoShop or some HTML site making thingamajig.

Rola (8483) on 7/20/2011 2:40 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]But if people who already showed of their cool screenshots asked for help, a bunch of people always jumped on the bandwagon. [/Q --end vedder wrote--] That's what I did back when I was making add-on for Sturmovik series...

In this case I tried to reach history buffs first, as other people would probably be turned off if I tell them the database is about ...old gramophone records. See? Now I expect nobody will volunteer here, as this is pretty narrow subject and most people won't care ("whaaa...? you mean easily breakable discs instead of MP3?").

Parf (7873) on 7/20/2011 3:15 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rola wrote--]In this case I tried to reach history buffs first, as other people would probably be turned off if I tell them the database is about ...old gramophone records. See? Now I expect nobody will volunteer here, as this is pretty narrow subject and most people won't care ("whaaa...? you mean easily breakable discs instead of MP3?"). [/Q --end Rola wrote--]

Haha! You should see my collection of vinyl and gramophone records. I don't even have room in my apartment anymore. I have to store most of my records/CD in my storage unit in the basement. :)

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 7/20/2011 4:31 PM · Permalink · Report

My radio show co-host has been donating to a wax cylinder audio preservation archive!

Rola (8483) on 7/20/2011 4:36 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm glad to hear from one of those rare people who collect this stuff!

I'm not an audiophile myself (another hobby that requires plenty of time and $) and not a big fan of the old fragile medium (my way would be: buy that record -> play it back at some professional studio -> listen to the digital recording and never dare to use that old disc again --- yes, that sounds like blasphemy, but I'm too afraid to touch that old brittle discs). The point is that I find lots of rare stuff on those old discs that don't exist anywhere else.

My online catalog is supposed to A) collect and preserve info about domestic records B) gather collectors online and benefit from their contributions. In this process I'll also find more forgotten stuff I'm looking for...

I said that the project is ambitious because I aim for the pre-vinyl era, about which much information is lost. I've found a huge monograph, but it only covers one recording label, it appears other are untouched. I was hoping that if I create such central hub for collectors they'll help me to congregate data. I've already contacted some people.

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 6/19/2011 11:37 AM · Permalink · Report

One year to get behind PHP/MySQL/CSS? With all the excellent free sources out there? Not to mention [building upon] existing CMFs, etc. Whatever... You could always outsource backend programming to some coders in India f.e.; they're cheap but very good; the best thing, really... unless you find somebody who does it for free or you stop being lazy :-P

Rola (8483) on 8/3/2011 9:21 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, lazy me, researching the subject, then designing and coding database structure, doing the graphic design for the website part, contacting collectors...

Who said I want to be a coder? Maybe I tried this 15 years ago and didn't like it much? If I do video editing, graphic design etc. but I don't code, means I suck at being computer techie?

I'm slowly learning PHP now, doing the forms for data input... only to realize that I should learn JavaScript as well... :-(

Besides, was MobyGames initially made by a single person? It sucks being on such a big project all alone. Even if I had all those programming languages at my fingertips.

Indra was here (20755) on 6/20/2011 5:20 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rola wrote--]I need a sense of purpose to survive. [/Q --end Rola wrote--]Interactive boobies. Can't think of anything else in life with more purpose and isn't dramatically overrated.

Rola (8483) on 6/20/2011 7:29 PM · Permalink · Report

You forgot the database I referred you to? ;-)

At least there I don't need to wait for weeks for my submission to be approved!

So Hai (261) on 7/18/2011 9:14 AM · Permalink · Report

I did a Diploma in PHP and MySql last year. It takes quite a bit of commitment to implement these languages to get a fast, secure and useable database working on the scale I imagine you're talking about.

But I don't have a particular talent for it, if you do it may be much easier for you.