🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Off Topic > Need help with Playstaion emulators

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 5/19/2006 1:47 PM · Permalink · Report

I've tried two PS emulators so far: ePSXe and PSEmuPro. I didn't get very far with ePSXe since it slowed down my computer pretty badly. With PSEmuPro, I had a couple of other problems. Most CDRom drivers didn't recognize any of my CD drives. Once I found some that did, the program either crashed or showed only a black screen when I tried to run a game. I've tried different video and audio drivers but always get the same result.

Do I just have to try out all sorts of drivers until it works, or is there another solution to this problem? (Oh, and yes, I do have a BIOS).

I hope you can help me with this or point me towards a good FAQ or a better emulator.

P.S. I'm not entirely sure if it's legal to use PS emulators, so I hope it's OK to post this here.

chirinea (47495) on 5/19/2006 2:44 PM · Permalink · Report

About ePSXe slowing your computer down, try to modify the video settings. What machine do you have? Nowadays computers should run it quite well.

I would recommend trying Emurayden, which many people says to be a good PS emulator.

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 5/19/2006 2:52 PM · Permalink · Report

My machine is pretty old and slow, but the slowdown was massive so there were probably some other reasons for that. I'll try out Emurayden, thanks for the tip.

Sciere (930490) on 5/19/2006 3:15 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

ePSXe works flawlessly for me, but I remember that it didn't run well on previous pc, so you probably need some decent processing power.

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 5/19/2006 3:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Probably, but just starting up ePSXe causes a massive slowdown, so it's probably not just a performance issue. I just tried out pcsx and got a few games to run, albeit a little slow. ePSXe seems to be better though, any ideas what I could do about ePSXe, apart from changing the video settings?

Riamus (8480) on 5/19/2006 4:47 PM · Permalink · Report

I would attempt using different configurations for epsxe. Also, the latest version doesn't work with some games (like Chrono Cross). So, you may need to try an older version (one version back from current is good). Personally, it's always worked well for me... once I got all the drivers set up correctly.

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 5/19/2006 4:03 PM · Permalink · Report

Just tried Emurayden and it works like charm! Thanks a lot!

chirinea (47495) on 5/19/2006 6:57 PM · Permalink · Report

Good to know, since I've never used it myself. Good playing!

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 5/19/2006 8:02 PM · Permalink · Report

I guess I'll try fiddling with ePSXe when I run into trouble with Emurayden. Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

Indra was here (20755) on 5/21/2006 3:52 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]About ePSXe slowing your computer down, try to modify the video settings. What machine do you have? Nowadays computers should run it quite well.

I would recommend trying Emurayden, which many people says to be a good PS emulator. [/Q --end chirinea wrote--]

chirinea IF I MEET YOU IN PERSON, REMIND ME TO BUY YOU LUNCH OR SOMETHING EXPENSIVE!

Egad, my PS1 Final Fantasy games all work, woohoo! Thanks chirinea!!!

chirinea (47495) on 5/22/2006 3:15 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Inderanta of the Clan Depari wrote--]

chirinea IF I MEET YOU IN PERSON, REMIND ME TO BUY YOU LUNCH OR SOMETHING EXPENSIVE!

Egad, my PS1 Final Fantasy games all work, woohoo! Thanks chirinea!!! [/Q --end Inderanta of the Clan Depari wrote--]

Hey, I'll charge that! =) Always happy to help!

Trixter (8952) on 5/19/2006 8:58 PM · Permalink · Report

pSX 1.0 works flawlessly for me, but I have to feed it bin/cue images (it won't read the CD directly either). No worries, I just make bin/cue with cdrwin of my originals.

Unfortunately, no emulator gets Parappa the Rappa correctly -- not even a PS2. You need a real PS1 if you want the timing to work correctly.