🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > never played fallout, start with fallout tactics?

cow (333) on 11/22/2007 1:21 AM · Permalink · Report

i've never played any of the fallout games but i've always heard great things about them. i was able to grab fallout tactics and fallout 2 at the bargain bin today but i don't know if i should hold out to get the original fallout first or if i will be okay to just dive into tactics.

what to do?

Zovni (10504) on 11/22/2007 1:09 PM · Permalink · Report

I started with Fallout 2.

You definitely get the best experience if you do 1, 2 and then tactics. But as long as you don't start with tactics you are okay.

St. Martyne (3648) on 11/22/2007 6:49 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Zovni wrote--] You definitely get the best experience if you do 1, 2 and then tactics. [/Q --end Zovni wrote--]

Or you can forget about Tactics altogether. It doesn't build upon things that made Fallouts so great. It might be of some interest to a casual tactics fan, otherwise stay clear of it. It clearly showed that the cars weren't included in Fallout engine for a reason.

Zovni (10504) on 11/23/2007 1:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Poor F:Tactics never gets any love :( I think its pretty solid for what it is.

Shoddyan (15004) on 12/1/2007 10:49 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Zovni wrote--]Poor F:Tactics never gets any love :( I think its pretty solid for what it is. [/Q --end Zovni wrote--]

I echo that opinion. It's a fun enough strategy game involving Fallout characters. Though I agree that it pales in comparison to the "real" Fallout 1 or 2 RPGs.

Still, it's much much much better than that Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel you'll find on consoles. Yuck.

Legion on 12/5/2007 1:48 AM · Permalink · Report

Brotherhood of steel was horrible and tactics wasnt much better. Id start with Fallout 1 though
2 is great but playing them in order gives you the full experience.

Solid Flamingo (1432) on 12/22/2007 12:29 PM · Permalink · Report

If you'd get the full experience plot-wise you should start with Fallout 1, but you can start also with Fallout 2 and still get the idea. Also if you start with Fallout 2 you'll get to start with those little gameplay improvements, though they're mostly minor.