🕹ī¸ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > The Magic Candle: Volume 1 > Nes game

Trypticon (11024) on 8/12/2012 5:30 PM · Permalink · Report

Is there in fact a connection to the original? It looks so different, and there's no reference on the title screen to it as I would expect.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 8/12/2012 6:31 PM · Permalink · Report

http://retrojrpg.thefannish.org/?p=524 discusses the differences a bit.

Trypticon (11024) on 8/13/2012 3:12 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]http://retrojrpg.thefannish.org/?p=524 discusses the differences a bit. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]

It's not quite clear to me where the premise of it being a port is based on other than the name. In fact, since the author mentions "there is quite a nice FAQ" out there - I took a look over at Gamefaqs, there is one explicitly for NES, and there it's stated plainly that the console and computer games have nothing in common!

Game Guesser (28) on 8/13/2012 5:21 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

ah, thanks for pointing this out. I see stuff like this on Mobygames occasionally but I always forget to make note of it/point it out here. I also came to the conclusion that the two games are not related when I was looking at Magic Candle stuff a few weeks ago - at the very least, the NES game is so radically different from the other games that it should have a separate entry, even if it is found to be some weird reinterpretation of the original.

Unfortunately, there seems to be little concrete information out there on the NES game, at least in English. Doesn't seem to be much in Japanese either..

{I just noticed that Sammy's corporate history page (English version) lists Japan Software Technology as a subsidiary that was formed for game development. It seems they were merged back into the company the same year the game was released.}

Looking around Google with マジックキãƒŖãƒŗドãƒĢ FC and machine translation....
This review seems to indicate the game box claims the game is derived from an overseas computer game. If we could find the back, it might help verify things. Of course, the machine translation (or the review itself) might be incorrect.

The apparently relevant text:
ãƒ‘ãƒƒã‚ąãƒŧジãĢよると、もともとはæĩˇå¤–ぎパã‚Ŋã‚ŗãƒŗã‚˛ãƒŧムぎį§ģ植ぎようで、æĩˇå¤–ã§ãŽã‚˛ãƒŧムぎčŗžã‹äŊ•ã‹ã‚’受čŗžã—たらしいことが書かれãĻいたんですが。

There doesn't seem to be a playthrough of the game on nicovideo.
It looks like this might remain a mystery until someone who knows Japanese can clear things up for us. But the game definitely needs a separate entry.

j.raido ã€é›ˇå ‚åŦĸå¤Ē朗】 (95187) on 8/14/2012 12:44 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dais wrote--]The apparently relevant text:
ãƒ‘ãƒƒã‚ąãƒŧジãĢよると、もともとはæĩˇå¤–ぎパã‚Ŋã‚ŗãƒŗã‚˛ãƒŧムぎį§ģ植ぎようで、æĩˇå¤–ã§ãŽã‚˛ãƒŧムぎčŗžã‹äŊ•ã‹ã‚’受čŗžã—たらしいことが書かれãĻいたんですが。 [/Q --end Dais wrote--] "According to the package, it's a port of a foreign PC game that won some kind of award."

The text is written in a rather tentative tone, as if the writer doesn't quite trust what the box says.

I'll watch out for a picture of the back of the package.

Edit: Found the credits. There's a special thanks to Mind Craft (as well as American Sammy and Japan Soft Technology). So there is definitely a connection of some kind.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 8/14/2012 3:04 AM · Permalink · Report

Probably a licensing of the title at least.