DescriptionThe evil Dr. T has invented tea-eating plants that he uses to destroy the tea-plantations of the British Empire in order to force them to buy their tea from him. Of course the Queen does not want his tea so she sends in a British Secret Agent who has to stop Dr. T. Jack Keane, a rather unsuccessful captain, is chosen to escort the agent to Tooth Island where Dr. T has his base of operations. When he meets the agent in Cape Town it quickly becomes clear that the agent does not really know anything about spying even though he thinks he is the best of the best. So Jack unwillingly takes over the operation and tries to help the agent stop Dr. T.
Players take the role of Jack in 3rd person perspective. Later in the game the player can also control Amanda, an American henchman who is hired by Dr. T to get rid of Jack. Amanda eventually learns she is on the wrong side and begins helping Jack instead.
This adventure game uses a 3D engine with a fixed camera and everything is controlled by the mouse. The left mouse button is used mostly for looking at objects and moving around the gameplay screen, while the the right button performs all important actions.
Upon hovering over items, the appropriate action appears: walking, running, looking, picking up, talking or using. Items are gathered in the inventory at the top of the screen. They can be examined, used in the environment or combined to create a new item. There are also bonus items available when certain non-essential actions are completed. These have nothing to do with the main story but provide bonus riddles. There is another bonus if certain riddles are completed early before they stop the game's progress.
Other options offered in the game include using the "x" keyboard key to highlight all interactive spots in the current view, turning subtitles on or off, inventory show or hide, and various screen resolution settings. The playable character will run if the left-mouse button is double-clicked.
The story-based problems all involve choosing the proper inventory item (or combination of items) in the environment or on another character. There are no puzzles as such otherwise. Climbing up and down and occasional jumping are done with a click of the mouse, but there is no time-limit or risk, since your character cannot die in the game.
The graphics and humour are reminiscent of the LucasArts adventures especially the Monkey Island series.
- "Джек Кейн" -- Russian spelling
- "Jack Keane and the Doctor's Island" -- Working title
- "Jack Keane: Al Rescate del Imperio Británico" -- Spanish title
Part of the Following Groups
There are no reviews for this game.
|Puntaeclicca.it||Windows||2008||9 out of 10||90|
|Adventure-Treff||Windows||Jul 29, 2007||86 out of 100||86|
|Computer Bild Spiele||Windows||Aug 01, 2007||1.77 out of 6||85|
|Games4Mac||Macintosh||2008||83 out of 100||83|
|Adventure's Planet||Windows||Apr 24, 2008||80 out of 100||80|
|Game Vortex||Windows||May, 2008||70 out of 100||70|
|Cheat Code Central||Windows||Apr, 2008||3.5 out of 5||70|
|Inside Mac Games (IMG)||Macintosh||Nov 05, 2008||6.75 out of 10||68|
|Jolt (UK)||Windows||Mar 10, 2008||6 out of 10||60|
|allaboutgames.co.uk||Windows||Mar 30, 2008||6 out of 10||60|
There are currently no topics for this game.
- GameStar/GamePro (Germany)
- March 28, 2008 - Best PC Adventure Game in 2007 (Readers' Vote)
Related Web Sites
- Jack Keane (official website)
- Freeverse: Jack Keane (The Macintosh publisher's product page for Jack Keane, which offers additional details, updates, and ordering information.)
- Jack Keane (Official game homepage)
- Jack Keane Brings 19th Century Adventure (An Apple Games article about the Mac version of Jack Keane (August, 2008).)
- Jack Keane Hints from UHS - Not your ordinary walkthrough (your questions are answered with gradual hints so you can attempt to solve the game's puzzles and situations yourself before learning the final solutions.)
- Strategy First (product page on US publisher's website)
- Walkthrough for Jack Keane (by MaGtRo (posted on Gameboomers.com))