🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Silent Hill > 1st person mode

Donatello (466) on 8/8/2007 6:05 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Did you know that after completing the game first time and choosing New Fear game mode, you can play Silent Hill in 1st person?

Beware, possible spoilers for the "first scene". Quote from Silent Hill Heaven forums:

"I just played the opening scene in near-first person and I almost wet myself. The intensity of the scene in third person is multiplied by x100 in first person.

Watching the alleyway slowly darken as sirens wailed ominously in the distance, the wheelchair in the corner is even more surprising, the actual descent into darkness more immediate. The proximity of the light is more personal, as you actually feel afraid of walking into the blackness, let alone running. Seeing the bed in as Harry does gives me new chills, the crucifixtion is shocking (because, like Harry, you only see gore on the floor before seeing the figure). The brilliance of this view is that the objects and creatures appear like never before seen: in an alerting and personal manner.

And even though I knew it was coming, the attack was unbelievably terrifying. Turning around slowly and seeing the Mumblers shamble into view made me want to hug my mother, the following manic terror of trying to run away, head-firsts into fences and walls, the actual panic seen in the movie and portrayed by Radha Mitchell of only running into more walls and fences as the Mumblers close is tangible and able to experienced. As always, I reached the supposed exit only to find the dead end, screamed when the relentless pursuit of the Mumblers finally cornered me, and almost threw my PSP when they grabbed me."

Started to play it again by the way, it's quite nostalgic for me, 7 years have passed.

xroox (3895) on 8/8/2007 6:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Fantastic! I'd really like to see that. Pity I don't have my savegames anymore ;)

Slug Camargo (583) on 8/8/2007 10:46 PM · Permalink · Report

And just how does this happen? I don't remember being able to do that, it sounds suspicious to say the least... ¬¬

Zovni (10504) on 8/9/2007 12:51 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Are you sure this isn't something added for the downloadable version?

Slug Camargo (583) on 8/9/2007 2:30 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Zovni wrote--]Are you sure this isn't something added for the downloadable version? [/Q --end Zovni wrote--] Which downloadable version? O_____O

Foxhack (32100) on 8/9/2007 3:41 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--] [Q2 --start Zovni wrote--]Are you sure this isn't something added for the downloadable version? [/Q2 --end Zovni wrote--] Which downloadable version? O_____O [/Q --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--]Someone bundled ePSXe with an iso of the game in a frontend a while back. That's how I uh, obtained the game.

Slug Camargo (583) on 8/9/2007 4:04 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kitsune Sniper wrote--] [Q2 --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--] [Q3 --start Zovni wrote--]Are you sure this isn't something added for the downloadable version? [/Q3 --end Zovni wrote--] Which downloadable version? O_____O [/Q2 --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--]Someone bundled ePSXe with an iso of the game in a frontend a while back. That's how I uh, obtained the game. [/Q --end Kitsune Sniper wrote--] Ah, yes. But that's just the PS1 ISO with a customized menu crammed in there, I doubt they managed to hack the game as to add such thing.

Foxhack (32100) on 8/9/2007 3:41 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Zovni wrote--]Are you sure this isn't something added for the downloadable version? [/Q --end Zovni wrote--]Maybe it was an Europe-only addition?

xroox (3895) on 8/9/2007 5:49 PM · Permalink · Report

It's definitely legit. I've read up on it. Although, it's not enabled by default, so you might play through the game again without even realising you'd unlocked it. To turn it on, you have to go into the options menu and select 'camera mode = self.' And it's apparently more of an extremely close, over-the-shoulder shot as opposed to a true first-person view.

I'd like to see it!

Slug Camargo (583) on 8/10/2007 3:23 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sam Jeffreys wrote--]It's definitely legit. I've read up on it. Although, it's not enabled by default, so you might play through the game again without even realising you'd unlocked it. To turn it on, you have to go into the options menu and select 'camera mode = self.' And it's apparently more of an extremely close, over-the-shoulder shot as opposed to a true first-person view.

I'd like to see it! [/Q --end Sam Jeffreys wrote--] Now that you mention it, I do remember being able to put the camera, like, behind the guy's ear in a few places. But playing the entire game like that... I guess I'll have to give it a try as soon as I clear up some HDD space.

Damn, I just remembered SH1 uses those rotational controls. Oh the pain...

Slug Camargo (583) on 8/11/2007 5:31 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

OK, I tried this, and it's definitely true. And you can use this mode anywhere you like indeed, and it makes the game look incredibly dramatic as the camera gets this shaky, hand-held-like thing... Man, I can't believe I don't remember this, I'm sure I would have noticed it.

Anyway, everyone should go ahead and give it a try :D I've got some ePSXe savegames in case someone doesn't wanna go through the entire thing all over again.

tarmo888 (5258) on 8/11/2007 3:27 PM · Permalink · Report

screenshots? perspective genre fix?

i couldn't find any youtube videos.

Ace of Sevens (4479) on 8/11/2007 10:33 PM · Permalink · Report

It's not really 1st person, so no genre change.