☕ Research video games with your very own MobyGames mug

Forums > Game Forums > Soko-Ban > How to use the level editor?

Nowhere Girl (8680) on 5/10/2022 9:42 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I figured out that to access the level editor, one needs to take the "elevator" to a "floor" higher than the last official level number, or at least 51. I wanted to copy some levels I have found and very much enjoyed, which are most in style of original Sokoban levels (I'm not a fan of the "tiny rooms with tricky crates" levels, I prefer more complex ones). However, I don't know how to mark the starting point - the square where the player should be at the start of the level. When I choose "Test", the player gets "thrown" into the middle of the room. I can't solve the level from there, the correct, original starting point is in the lower right corner. But I can't see any function for selecting that.
(edited, it needed a small correction. But it does't matter much)

Rwolf (22837) on 5/10/2022 2:59 PM · Permalink · Report

I've never used the level editor, but looking at the soko-ban level tutorials (for other versions I guess) there should be a 'pusher' to place - looking at the DOS level editor, I wonder if the 'elevator' is where you come in, or maybe that is just a way out from the editor itself.

There are plenty soko-ban level editors available online, and provided it uses the same level file format it should be possible to look at in a text editor?

Nowhere Girl (8680) on 5/10/2022 3:17 PM · Permalink · Report

The "elevator" option is return to the elevator. :( I tried it too, so I know.
And what about the Sokoban online level editors? I just didn't understand. What should I look for? I know nothing about coding, so how would studying it in a text editor tell me what line stands for starting point placement?

Rwolf (22837) on 5/10/2022 9:21 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, I guess it's another adventure then ;-)

I don't have any sokoban game now, but I've played the DOS version, long ago. I never made any sokoban levels either, and it maybe a limit of that particular editor that it places the player in the middle of the map.

What I see is there are many clones of sokoban, and some seem to share the level file formats, some of which are described as text; if so, they can be modified with an editor, and some formats are also described in detail.

http://www.sokobano.de/wiki/index.php?title=Level_format

And there are alternate level editors, suited to clones/versions of the game with more features than the oldest games versions.

http://sokobano.de/wiki/index.php?title=Feature_list_:_Level_Editor

So if the sokoban game you have does not do what you want, try a clone of it?

http://www.sokobano.de/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Nowhere Girl (8680) on 5/15/2022 3:28 PM · Permalink · Report

I might have discovered how, but I'll have to test it again. Probably the starting point is a free spot where you "leave" your cursor after having placed another object.