🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Cratermaze > Cratermaze and Meikyū Daisakusen

Kaminari (1081) on 8/17/2009 1:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Those are two entirely different games. According to the MG rules, you simply can't merge them into a single entry.

Cratermaze is the straight conversion of Nichibutsu's Kid no Horehore Daisakusen, and was only released on the US TurboGrafx. Doraemon: Meikyū Daisakusen is the Japanese PC Engine version and, although it's also based on the arcade game, the sprites and story are entirely different.

You can't make an entry for Cratermaze and put up the cover for Doraemon. It's plain wrong. Just pointing out the obvious for the approvers, since I'm not directly contributing to this site anymore.

chirinea (47495) on 8/17/2009 7:06 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kaminari wrote--]You can't make an entry for Cratermaze and put up the cover for Doraemon. It's plain wrong. Just pointing out the obvious for the approvers, since I'm not directly contributing to this site anymore. [/Q --end Kaminari wrote--]Well, thanks, but it is sad that you're not contributing anymore. I mean, making the approvers aware of it is good, but it would be even better if you contributed a new entry for either Cratermaze or Doraemon. That's the only way the entries can be split, and knowing the game (as you seem to do) helps a lot.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95187) on 8/17/2009 11:07 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The game is pretty much identical bar the character sprites and a few tunes changed to sound like the Doraemon theme song. It's definitely not as big a difference as something like Decap Attack or even Tetris Attack.

It's exactly the same as Mystic Defender/Kujakuou 2, only in reverse (adding a license instead of removing it). I don't think that it warrants a separate entry in that case, and I don't think it does in this case either.

To be fair, I wrote the entry having played only the Doraemon game, and looked up screenshots and videos of Cratermaze and the Nichibutsu game to see if there were appreciable differences, which there didn't appear to be. If I'm wrong, and there are differences apart from simple "localization" type things, then it certainly would warrant a new entry.

Foxhack (32100) on 8/17/2009 11:27 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I disagree. I think games that have some serious regional differences should have split entries.

Besides, we already do that. Look at all the Brazilian SMS games we have on file, most of 'em are simple palette and sprite hacks and they still got their own entries.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95187) on 8/17/2009 11:58 PM · Permalink · Report

So then stuff like this should be split, too? And the Final Fantasy International versions? Jet Set Radio with the levels added for the English release? How about Super Mario Bros. 3 where there are a handful of stages with slightly different layouts between the English and Japanese versions?

I'm not trying to be facetious here, I just want to know where exactly this line is drawn. I'll write up a new description for the Doraemon game and put in corrections for the existing game tonight, if there's some kind of consensus here.

Foxhack (32100) on 8/18/2009 12:14 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I've brought up Taz in the past but got no concrete explanation about it. I want it to be split.

Those FF Internationals should be split because they contain bugfixes along with bonus areas.

I had no idea the US version of Jet Set Radio had any real differences from the Japanese version.

Super Mario 3's stage layout differences shouldn't be enough for a split, though.

That's MY opinion, not policy. You have to take it up with the admins. I feel a different story and graphic layout for separate regions deserves a split, but that's just me.

chirinea (47495) on 8/19/2009 10:06 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kitsune Sniper wrote--]I've brought up Taz in the past but got no concrete explanation about it. I want it to be split. [/Q --end Kitsune Sniper wrote--]Taz should be split, yes. I didn't do that yet because I'm too busy apologizing for not doing that kind of stuff.

chirinea (47495) on 8/19/2009 10:09 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kitsune Sniper wrote--]Look at all the Brazilian SMS games we have on file, most of 'em are simple palette and sprite hacks and they still got their own entries. [/Q --end Kitsune Sniper wrote--]STOP CALLING THEM HACKS!

Indra was here (20755) on 8/18/2009 12:05 AM · Permalink · Report

User contributed entries. User contributed corrections and fixes.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95187) on 8/19/2009 6:35 AM · Permalink · Report

Alright, entry for Doraemon, split request, and revised description for Cratermaze submitted.

We'll see it in about six months, probably. ;)

Xoleras (66141) on 8/19/2009 7:30 AM · Permalink · Report

Instead of submitting a split request, I would rather PM Sciere directly once the new game entry has been approved. Otherwise, half a year is way too short. :P