🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Psychonauts > I feel disappointed

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 6/20/2007 9:38 AM · Permalink · Report

After hearing so much praise about this game, I simply had to get it... and so far, it looks like a platformer for kids. It's kinda cute, but I don't see anything special yet.

Any opinions?

Sciere (930490) on 6/20/2007 11:15 AM · Permalink · Report

You'll come to appreciate the environments and the level design, some of the ideas are truly original and reminiscent of adventure games.

Slug Camargo (583) on 6/21/2007 12:13 AM · Permalink · Report

Really? How far did you get into it?

Me, I think the game's a masterpiece. If not for anything else, because of all the imaginative symbolism with which the levels are designed, how every detail ties to certain characteristics of the person in whose mind you're in... I don't know, maybe it's a matter of tastes; but if you reach the level with the censors and still don't think this is an awesomely smart and classy game, I think you should be shot :P

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 6/21/2007 4:28 AM · Permalink · Report

Considering adventure gaming is practically an all but dead genre now (at least restricted to cheesy kids platformers), I found this game to be quite refreshing with its smart humor and awesome level design.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 6/21/2007 6:23 AM · Permalink · Report

So you say Psychonauts is NOT a cheesy kid platformer? Because that's what it looks like to me. Are there some mature themes in the game?

So far, it's all about Mario-like jumping and collecting things... of course, those things have fancy names, but in the end they are the same as gold coins or mushrooms.

But I'm still very early in the game, I can't pass a judgment yet.

Ben K (23952) on 6/21/2007 1:15 PM · Permalink · Report

I bet you haven't even seen the brain tumbler yet. I love how that level starts, and then...oh, goddammit. Look, just keep playing. You may as well be saying "After all the hype I thought The Shining was going to be a good movie, but it's just some kid playing with his finger and then they go for a drive."

Slug Camargo (583) on 6/22/2007 3:22 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Ben K wrote--]You may as well be saying "After all the hype I thought The Shining was going to be a good movie, but it's just some kid playing with his finger and then they go for a drive." [/Q --end Ben K wrote--] BEST.QUOTE.EVER. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Crap, threadbombing.com is down, I wanted to illustrate this with an image. I owe you one.

Zovni (10504) on 7/16/2007 1:12 PM · Permalink · Report

this reminds me...

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 6/21/2007 2:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Okay guys, I'm beginning to like the game... it's cool. Don't know why I disliked it so much in the beginning.

Evilhead (1144) on 6/27/2007 10:16 AM · Permalink · Report

I had the same thoughts at the beginning, but as I finished the thing yesterday, I must say it's one of the best platformers ever. The milkman-level was my favorite. <3