Forums > Game Forums > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific - U-Boat Missions > I want Japanese submarines

Rola (8483) on 2/14/2013 1:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Anytime we get WW2 sub action, it's either US or German. Now we got a rare treat: Germans leaving Atlantic for the Indian Ocean!

Too bad nobody had the guts to make an expansion with Japanese subs... add-on means less risk, besides the maps (Pacific) and targets (US Navy) are already there.

Rwolf (22837) on 2/14/2013 3:32 PM · Permalink · Report

I haven't kept up with SH4 mods really, but you might want to look up this one: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=137761

Rola (8483) on 2/14/2013 6:04 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Thank you! How could I forget about modding community, being a modder myself :D You're indeed well informed in simulators!

It's at the same time hearwarming and saddening that it takes gamers' community to realize things gaming industry won't provide.

Is there British Navy subs mod as well? SH3&5 use Atlantic, so...

Rwolf (22837) on 2/14/2013 6:40 PM · Permalink · Report

Looks like there is a British Med. campaign for SH4, maybe still WIP: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181770

Using U- and T- class subs; not tried any of it, but it looks nice on the screenshots.

Rola (8483) on 2/14/2013 8:14 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, I'm after U class... for some unexplained reason :)

Rwolf (22837) on 2/14/2013 8:47 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

It had a good career I can see, 19 sunk/damaged enemy ships. The Mediterranean mod mentioned has Italian ships to hunt too :-)

Also ORP Dzik had a similar success, with 18 enemy ships sunk/damaged.

Rola (8483) on 2/14/2013 9:20 PM · Permalink · Report

Nah, even those borrowed subs had meager results (just check how small were those sunk ships). Our original (pre-war) subs were a complete waste of money, they ended up rusting in Sweden ;)

Funny thing, I'll bet not many people know this: I read somewhere that Germans were wary of Polish subs (as opposed to the rest of our tiny fleet), in the event of prolonged war they were to interdict German supply convoys (think how Eastern Prussia was located) and Swedish steel shipments... only 5 subs, but Baltic is small.

Well, Silent Hunter 4 also has American S-class, another sub we borrowed... but don't count on a mod, it was sunk by allies by accident on its maiden patrol!