🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Starbound > Steam/Humble release

SGruber (3812) on 1/20/2014 12:39 PM · Permalink · Report

The game is listed as Steam-free on the Humble store. Are the beta releases also released there or are they only on Steam and only the final version will be Steam free?

Because then we only need Steam beta releases(?)

Jo ST (24038) on 1/20/2014 12:56 PM · Permalink · Report

No beta releases in the Humble Store. They promise to release the final there.

Indra was here (20755) on 1/20/2014 1:33 PM · Permalink · Report

Final release. Funny.

chirinea (47495) on 1/20/2014 5:50 PM · Permalink · Report

So, who's kidnapped Indra and started submitting things in his place? Because that surely isn't a description written by the Indra I know.

Indra was here (20755) on 1/21/2014 12:32 AM · Permalink · Report

MG frowns on long and detailed descriptions, so I'm experimenting on creating short abstracts with no apparent informational value as per catalog mentality. For people who don't like reading encyclopedias or anything knowledge-based. Yeah, bite me.

chirinea (47495) on 1/21/2014 12:37 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra was here wrote--]MG frowns on long and detailed descriptions [...] Yeah, bite me. [/Q --end Indra was here wrote--]Does it? And yeah, I'll bite you, just wait when I get to Indonesia!

Indra was here (20755) on 1/21/2014 12:48 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

You've never had your description you wrote for 2 hours be cut by 60% because the reasoning was that it was too long. Yeah, try find that reasoning in the standards. It must be there or else it wouldn't of happened.

Fred VT (25953) on 1/21/2014 12:57 AM · Permalink · Report

There's a difference between a good description, a game catalogue abstract and an article :P Must have been really long to have been cut. I come across some that I find quite long for a game description, but every paragraph is needed in those....

Indra was here (20755) on 1/21/2014 1:19 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

You don't mess with other people's contributions unless it's factually incorrect or noticeably inferior. I would identify meine Starbound description as inferior, at least by my standards.

Fred VT (25953) on 1/21/2014 1:42 AM · Permalink · Report

Dude, that IS inferior; even if it were a game in a foreign language that you know nothing about I'd expect more from you. :P

Indra was here (20755) on 1/21/2014 1:46 AM · Permalink · Report

I sulk for years. :p

chirinea (47495) on 1/21/2014 1:49 AM · Permalink · Report

Ditto.

Cavalary (11445) on 1/21/2014 2:21 AM · Permalink · Report

I seem to remember some sort of agreement on "5 sentences in 2 paragraphs" as a minimum for descriptions (not counting compilations)?

As for maximum, hell, if what's there describes the gameplay and the setting without overly repeating itself or just droning on about the same thing in as many slightly different ways as possible, it should be fair game.

Indra was here (20755) on 1/21/2014 2:50 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Probably was my proposition. Two paragraphs. One for story or introduction. Second paragraph for gameplay. At bare minimum.

Well, I'm never going to give long descriptions again. Let some other schmuck research it. I'm going for the usual vague abstract 1-2 paragraph descriptions from now on. You only get one point for descriptions per game anyway, so why do I even bother?

So you won't get me going into detail like this description ever again. Expect just that one paragraph on top from now.

Cantillon (77149) on 3/19/2014 8:18 AM · Permalink · Report

You can enter a short description and then revise it for more points.

Indra was here (20755) on 3/19/2014 5:54 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Cantillon wrote--]You can enter a short description and then revise it for more points. [/Q --end Cantillon wrote--]Someone is on to me! :p

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 1/21/2014 9:12 AM · Permalink · Report

Err, so why again are beta releases treated as separate releases, instead of I don't know, patch info?

vedder (70822) on 1/21/2014 9:45 AM · Permalink · Report

Patch info is only for patches. E.g. a file that alters an existing installation. Releases is for when you redownload the entire game.

Игги Друге (46653) on 1/24/2014 6:07 AM · Permalink · Report

I think this interpretation is misguided. I know it's called "patch info", but I've always read it as "version history".

Lain Crowley (6629) on 3/21/2014 2:46 AM · Permalink · Report

It is also misguided in that it can be factually incorrect. Several games (off the top of my head Payday 1&2, Shadowrun, and possibly Sleeping Dogs), must be re-downloaded in full for "patches". Patching is not universal.

Indra was here (20755) on 1/21/2014 11:27 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Algorithm:
Patch=Download Patch (Game excluded).
New Release=Download Game (Patch included).

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 1/22/2014 6:38 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Ok, but I thought Steam was invented precisely to avoid downloading the entire installer again.

Indra was here (20755) on 1/22/2014 7:57 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, it's like this. Let's say there's a game with two versions. Version 1 and version 2. Then you download the game via Steam. Is the downloaded game Version 1 or Version 2? Does it give you a choice? If there is no optional choice that means you downloaded a release, not a patch (presumably it automatically downloaded Version 2). If there's an option of manually updating the game to Version 2, then you downloaded a patch, not a release.

Er. I think. :p

vedder (70822) on 1/22/2014 8:02 AM · Permalink · Report

I'd say steam releases are patches not release info. When you have the game already installed and a new version is released your version is patched, not replaced by a new version.

Although I'm not 100% certain this is the case for all Steam games.

Indra was here (20755) on 1/22/2014 8:09 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Wouldn't know, since I don't have Steam installed. The question is, when you've downloaded a game via Steam when there already has been prior releases, are you downloading the base game which is later auto-patched by Steam or are you downloading the latest version of the game from Steam.

vedder (70822) on 1/22/2014 8:38 AM · Permalink · Report

Steam auto-patches games. This is definitely true for big publisher games, but I'm not sure if this is true for small indie games.

Indra was here (20755) on 1/22/2014 9:32 AM · Permalink · Report

Depends on the size, I would suppose. Most of the indie games available from Steam and also available separately from the developer that I've downloaded don't have a separate patch available from the developer, you just download the entire game all over again.