Forums > Game Forums > Wizardry 8 > Bored...

Unicorn Lynx (181772) on 9/2/2013 8:40 AM · Permalink · Report

Playing it for 5-6 hours straight and am bored to death... it seems everyone love it - am I not understanding / missing something?

I love Might and Magic, by the way, so it's not that I'm opposed to old-school RPGs... but I couldn't get into any Wizardry, and this one is no exception.

vedder (70899) on 9/2/2013 9:26 AM · Permalink · Report

I tried playing this a couple weeks back. I couldn't get into it either. Stopped playing after a couple of uneventful hours. The setting definitely didn't quite grasp me.

Unicorn Lynx (181772) on 9/2/2013 10:18 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm forcing myself to play it, and now I can see a certain appeal. Very old-school, with wealth of options.

vedder (70899) on 9/2/2013 10:59 AM · Permalink · Report

I have neither the time nor the motivation for that. If a game fails to grasp my interest or loses it along the way it's a one way trip to uninstallation.

Unicorn Lynx (181772) on 9/2/2013 11:04 AM · Permalink · Report

Wow, you're harsh! :) If I did the same I would have only few games left now :)

I passionately hated some of my most treasured favorites on sight! Just thinking of my three or four attempts to play System Shock before something clicked in my head and I fell in love with it.

I already finished a scathing review of Shadow of the Colossus before I realized I loved the game to death!

Almost every game that didn't play quite the same way I was accustomed to before made me hate it in the beginning. Sometimes I find myself loving a game proportionally to the way I hated it initially :)

Is anyone else like this, or is it just me? :)

GTramp (81961) on 9/2/2013 11:17 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm like this too. So I usually don't throw away games if they first seem strange or unappealing. Chances are I'm gonna at least appreciate them in the long run.

vedder (70899) on 9/2/2013 12:23 PM · Permalink · Report

System Shock 2 is the only game I remember uninstalling and later giving a second chance. But uninstalling didn't have much to do with me not liking the game, but was entirely due to the erratic and punishing difficulty "curve". I literally got in a situation where where all my guns were jammed or out of ammo and I had to get back through an area I had just cleared but all the enemies had respawned, because I looked around the corner somewhere. Multiple of those encounters made me stop. I think that's the point in time in my life where I started managing save games in all my games.

So I uninstalled it and started all over a year or so later. But that's definitely an exception. Can't think of any other examples at least.

So many good games, so little time... I'm always a bit amazed how you find the time to have a job, maintain a girlfriend, do MobyGames work and play as many games as you do. It's as if you don't sleep at night :)

Unicorn Lynx (181772) on 9/2/2013 12:33 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm always a bit amazed how you find the time to have a job

Irregular job. I can have fully loaded three days of teaching or out-of-town performance or whatever, and then for example three days in a row where I just sit at home and play games all day. I think I have, in average, much more free time than people who work 5 days in a week 8 hours each.

maintain a girlfriend

First of all, that sounds funny, like she is a pet or something, or actually more like an expensive car :) And second, it's a wife :)

play as many games as you do

Not finishing almost all the games, heavily using shortcuts (walkthroughs, viewing videos to skip stuff) does the job :)

vedder (70899) on 9/2/2013 12:40 PM · Permalink · Report

Irregular job probably helps. Thing with working 8 hours a day is that at the end you're tired and not always feel like gaming. Well, maybe for someone who does mind-dumbing work all day, but at the end of my work day as a designer I'm just completely mentally drained most days. I'm problem solving basically all day and then problem solving some more in games isn't always the first thing on my mind when I get home when it's easier to just watch a film or something.

As with your (sorry) wife; I put it a bit blunt perhaps, but what I meant to say is I assumed you do stuff together, go places etc. other than sit behind the pc playing single player games :)

Unicorn Lynx (181772) on 9/2/2013 3:19 PM · Permalink · Report

The thing with my wife is that we work together a lot, basically we see each other almost 24/7, so if I want to rest I just go to the "computer room" and sink myself into gaming / MobyGames stuff. Also, she works a lot at home - promotes our band, contacts agents, this kind of thing.

Back to the topic - Wizardry 8 slowly begins to rock for me. Let's see how it goes...

Rola (8483) on 9/2/2013 3:52 PM · Permalink · Report

I've only tried Wizardry7, but couldn't get accustomed to the setting (sci-fi?), random battles and the lack of automap.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/2/2013 1:27 PM · Permalink · Report

Kind of. I think about what I don't like, and try to estimate whether it's something that could change later in the game (or that I might grow to like), or whether it seems to be a central aspect of the game. For example, I have a very low tolerance for nasty save systems or respawning enemies; but if a game is just slow to start or whose story I don't find very interesting, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for a while.

But when I think about my favourite games of all time, I almost always loved them right from the start. Sometimes a game ends up being better than I thought, but with those I like best, I usually knew after 5-10 minutes.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 9/3/2013 1:04 PM · Permalink · Report

Not a Wizardry appreciator myself, but the one I enjoyed the most was the most 7th, because of the weird feel and strangely appealing Narrator. David Bradley (designer/writer of 6 and 7) definitely had a uniqueness to him, an uniqueness that was lost in Wizardry 8.

Donatello (466) on 9/3/2013 1:24 PM · Permalink · Report

There's always Wizardry IV...

Unicorn Lynx (181772) on 9/3/2013 3:05 PM · Permalink · Report

I actually tried Wizardry IV, I liked the idea of playing as the bad guy and summoning monsters to help you out - that was quite original for the time! But I gave up soon. The featureless dungeons and the abhorrent difficulty were enough to drive me insane.

Not sure if I ever try Wizardry 7... I mean, now I'm really well into 8 and I do like it in many ways, but I can't imagine playing anything like that again, particularly less user-friendly and even more difficult.

Game Guesser (28) on 9/4/2013 8:19 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start YID YANG wrote--]I actually tried Wizardry IV, I liked the idea of playing as the bad guy and summoning monsters to help you out - that was quite original for the time! But I gave up soon. The featureless dungeons and the abhorrent difficulty were enough to drive me insane. [/Q --end YID YANG wrote--]

If you have no plans to continue playing and haven't otherwise read up about all the things the game does, this Let's Play is very definitely worth reading - it covers the game pretty thoroughly and fairly, and it really is a title worth understanding.

(speaking of the LP archive, most of the Wizardry series doesn't appeal to me, but Tale of the Forsaken Land looks brilliant, and it's a shame the prequel was never released in English)

The Fabulous King (1332) on 9/5/2013 11:16 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start YID YANG wrote--]

Not sure if I ever try Wizardry 7... I mean, now I'm really well into 8 and I do like it in many ways, but I can't imagine playing anything like that again, particularly less user-friendly and even more difficult. [/Q --end YID YANG wrote--]

Wizardry 6 has a lot of dark eroticism in it. It starts as a typical dungeon crawler, but then you discover that this dungeon has seen a lot of kinky sexual history, you witness this complete depravity of the human spirit, find a pen and then you travel to Space!

Unicorn Lynx (181772) on 9/5/2013 5:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Seriously? Kinky sexual history in a Wizardry game? Like a Felpurr monk banging two Rawulf valkyries or something like this? :)

The Fabulous King (1332) on 9/5/2013 6:04 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

In the words of Wizardry itself: "The air smelled of bad wine and orgasm."

The King cheated the Queen with their adopted daughter, then the Queen slept with the girl's real father (who was a demon) and gave birth to a beautiful baby dragon and now they're all dead and hate each other. The girl in question is a green-skinned half-naked succubus. The King and his adopted daughter still have True Love between them. She calls him "Daddy".

On one hand Wizardry 6 has you looking at the same damn brick wall, whether your in a forest or in a dungeon, but on the other hand.... it has a lot of boobs. There's a perverse edge to Wizardry 6 that you normally don't find in rpgs. Especially in rpg's of that time.