🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > News > Big numbers for Video Games this Holiday Season

nullnullnull (1463) on 12/30/2006 4:08 PM · Permalink · Report

I went to my local games retailer yesterday and was absolutely dumb struck at the length of the check out line. The store is tiny and I have never seen it this busy ... ever. I ended up spending 30 minutes in line to get The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas. Walking out I thought to myself, "Wow. This has got to be a great year for the industry." Well, Spong is reporting some of the first sales numbers of the season. In the UK the 2006 holiday season was the best ever. Need for Speed: Carbon took the number 1 slot with Pro Evolution Soccer 6 and Call of Duty 3 following close behind.

Every year people complain about what it wrong with the games industry and each year more games are sold and more people become gamers. Is the industry really broken? Or do people just like to complain?

Robstein (199) on 12/30/2006 4:43 PM · Permalink · Report

I personally think that he industry still has some fairly big issues, like a problem with turning out crappy licensed games or forcing sequels down our throats, but I also think that they've been doing a few more things right. Mostly by finding a way to bring in new demographics.

I don't think there are really many new problems with anything, but since more people are playing video games, they're selling a lot more. I can only imagine what the numbers might be if the Wii really takes off.

Riamus (8480) on 12/30/2006 9:31 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Robstein wrote--]or forcing sequels down our throats[/Q --end Robstein wrote--]

Sequels aren't always bad. I would absolutely LOVE to have a sequel to Planescape: Torment, though that will never happen because Wizards of the Coast discontinued the Planescape universe.

Jae Rune (1) on 12/30/2006 6:02 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

People love to complain. What's helping the industry right now is that more people than ever have consoles, because the older gen consoles are still good by today's standards and their games are dirt cheap. I own a Dreamcast and I still get oohs and aahs when I throw in games like Skies of Arcadia and DOA2: Hardcore. Most people have XBox and PS2, because the game selection is ridiculously huge, the machines are still cheap (and mostly in-production from what I gather) and the games cost between $15 and $20 for the vast majority of the titles.

Hardcore gamers have upgraded already. Everyone else still plays with what works. Why fix what ain't broke? And spend more money doing it? There are already reports that PS2 is expected to outstrip PS3 in sales in '07. Is it any surprise? I plan on buying one myself. Because I have 10 games I like, and that's enough for me to justify buying a console. And I think I'm closer to more of the mainstream in that thought process.

Luis Silva (13443) on 12/30/2006 7:10 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start flipkin wrote--]Every year people complain about what it wrong with the games industry and each year more games are sold and more people become gamers. Is the industry really broken? Or do people just like to complain? [/Q --end flipkin wrote--]

That's the "rose tinted specs" effect. There are a lot of sub-par titles on modern consoles? If we look at the entire output of the NES (still considered by many the best console ever) beyond the Zeldas and the Marios, the vast majority of games are very bad, even for the time they were released. The same happens with every other console. For instance, looking at everyone's favourite scapegoat, EA, it's not like their games are terrible. They just have more often than not incredibly bland, average, gameplay and almost insulting to the capacity of the company. The only reason why they are considered "bad" is because the really bad games rarely reach the frontpages of review sites, and most stores won't even carry them.

If modern bad/average games are compared to best games of previous generations, of course everything will seem wrong and the industry is in the road to destruction. But if we compare an average game in 1986 to an average game in 2006, things will look a lot less bleak. Games will become a lot more expensive to produce, but at the same time the market has never been so large.

DudeOfMonson (97) on 1/1/2007 3:41 PM · Permalink · Report

I say big numbers doesnt mean too much. Look at virgin records and all the other main stream music labels. The music is crap and it sells like crazy, most likely more and more every year. That is just the way business goes. Sadly I think the same thing happens to games. The more games publishers rush out to meet yearly quotas the more crappy games in the market. That doesn't mean there won't be any gems amongst the dirt. Oh and by the way......People complain WAY TO MUCH.(including me and most likely you)

Игги Друге (46653) on 1/1/2007 10:43 PM · Permalink · Report

A lot of people mean that the lack of bad games is a bad thing. In today's industry, it's hard to get a second chance after a flop. When games costed £2.99, there was room for experiment.

D Michael (222) on 1/2/2007 7:31 PM · Permalink · Report

I tend to disagree. These days most companies can sustain a flop, whereas in the old days all too often the entire fate of a given company rested on the success of one title.

Shoddyan (15004) on 1/6/2007 2:30 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Luis Silva wrote--] [Q2 --start flipkin wrote--]Every year people complain about what it wrong with the games industry and each year more games are sold and more people become gamers. Is the industry really broken? Or do people just like to complain? [/Q2 --end flipkin wrote--]

That's the "rose tinted specs" effect. There are a lot of sub-par titles on modern consoles? If we look at the entire output of the NES (still considered by many the best console ever) beyond the Zeldas and the Marios, the vast majority of games are very bad, even for the time they were released. The same happens with every other console. [/Q --end Luis Silva wrote--] Thanks for saying that Luis... I'm always pointing this out to people... sometimes it's nice just to realize another smart human being has come to the same conclusion ;). There we go. self-image restored.

Even so... if someone is enjoying being a retro-gamer... let them have their fun. There's lots to play out there. The site stats say at least 31,000 titles.

Indra was here (20755) on 1/2/2007 6:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Of course someone will complain, even babies complain when their born! Its part of our human nature.

Spesifically, it depends on who's complaining. As each person has different priorities, different interests and so on, the ability to fulfill all those demands are of course impossible.

Thus, the supplier of the product only then aims to fulfill the majority of the market, by [a] fulfilling demands of past successes (aka similar or clone games) or [b] creating a new trend in the market.

The numbers should show themselves (unless certain "marketing techniques" are used by the publishers to disguise the original sales numbers...) that in quantity more people are becoming gamers. In quality? Well, that's subjective opinion isn't it...

When it comes to industry, its quantity over quality. Quality is only required to support quantity. Not the other way around.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 1/6/2007 5:31 AM · Permalink · Report

I've said it once, I've said it a million times: people just like to complain.

The industry has a lot of issues, like problems with recycled material and the absence of "indie" developers, but we are still going strong. We are not going to "crash" anytime soon.

I specifically do not like Pointless Waste of Time for just this reason. Their articles have inspired me and influenced my writings as a reviewer and a writer, but I constantly find them nagging and bitching over so many things.

Indra was here (20755) on 1/6/2007 2:45 PM · Permalink · Report

People with less money tend to bitch more. :)

Maw (832) on 1/9/2007 6:35 AM · Permalink · Report

[quote]I specifically do not like Pointless Waste of Time for just this reason. Their articles have inspired me and influenced my writings as a reviewer and a writer, but I constantly find them nagging and bitching over so many things.[/quote]

What you have to remember is that PWOT is a humour site, and that you shouldn't take anything you read there seriously. They're quite clever and baroque writers, and experts in making a joke but wording it so you think they're being serious. An example: David Wong wrote this article in which he advocates determinalism and Darwinism, despite the fact that he's a Christian.

I don't think they seriously believe the gaming industry will crash. They're doing what they do best, taking a joke and "selling" it as fact. (With that said, they do say a lot of true stuff.)

Indra was here (20755) on 1/10/2007 1:10 AM · Permalink · Report

Gaming industry will crash? Yeah. Sex and violence don't sell like cakes either.

D Michael (222) on 1/10/2007 1:27 AM · Permalink · Report

gaming industry has crashed before, and will again. But if it is meant crash as in to cease existing then in that case I'd have to say it never will.

Riamus (8480) on 1/10/2007 3:02 AM · Permalink · Report

It will again? I really doubt it. Not unless society suddenly decides that gaming is evil... besides those fools who already claim this. :)