DescriptionTwilight Princess is the first Legend of Zelda game for the Wii and also the last for GameCube. At first Link is a simple farm boy, whose tasks consist of herding goats to watching children in Ordon village, Link's home town. One day, Link is asked by the mayor to run an errand in Castle Town, but things sudden go wrong…
The land becomes dark, and strange creatures appear from another world called the Twilight Realm, which turns most into ghosts. Link, however, becomes a wolf. After becoming a wolf, Link is aided by Midna, a resident of the Twilight Realm. Midna helps Link find a way to turn human again along with other tasks.
The wolf cannot use a sword or other items. Instead, as a wolf Link must use his senses to solve puzzles and get past obstacles. The beast can also dig holes to find hearts and rupees and to get in places. It can push blocks with its head to climb higher or reveal hidden passageways. Additionally, it can attack enemies by biting or pouncing on them.
As a human, Link can move around quickly, aim his bow, swing his sword, and even fish. Link also collects many different items, which allow him to perform varied attacks and reach places he couldn't before. Link performs many attacks with his sword and can even learn other sword moves.
The game's art is similar to the naturalistic style of Ocarina of Time, rather than the cel-shaded look of The Wind Waker. Chronologically, the game takes place between the two aforementioned titles and quite a few locations from Ocarina of Time can be visited. The main adventure takes place in several provinces with dungeons and temples. With the help of Midna, you can easily travel around quickly later in the game.
- "ゼルダの伝説 トワイライトプリンセス HD" -- Japanese Wii U spelling
- "ゼルダの伝説 トワイライトプリンセス" -- Japanese spelling
- "Zelda TP" -- Common Abbreviation
- "Zelda no Densetsu: Twilight Princess" -- Japanese title
- "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD" -- Wii U title
- "The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 2" -- Development title
- "젤다의 전설 황혼의 공주" -- Korean spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Gameplay feature: Day / Night cycle
- Gameplay feature: Fishing
- Legend of Zelda series
- Nintendo Selects releases
- Theme: Werewolves
|The biggest Zelda to date but also one of the less creative ones.||Wii||Rensch (218)|
|A good game, but a weaker Zelda||Wii||krisko6 (587)|
|Ah, sweet obsession.||Wii||AkibaTechno (254)|
|A return to the past for the Zelda series...||GameCube||Chris Lesinky (315)|
|Amazingly entertaining||Wii||Emmanuel Henne (26)|
|Nothing new enough to warrant a purchase||Wii||AxelStone (37)|
|One of these rooms is going to break you.||Wii||Pagen HD (131)|
|Perfection achieved||GameCube||SiriusCrane (9)|
|A good Zelda game, but with some weird problems||Wii||Pixelspeech (1006)|
|The absolute best||Wii||Brandon Armstrong-Dance (3)|
|Cheat Code Central||Wii||Nov, 2006||5 out of 5||100|
|Gaming Age||Wii||Nov, 2006||A||100|
|RPGFan||Wii||Nov 30, 2011||96 out of 100||96|
|Gameplay RPG||GameCube||Dec, 2006||9.5 out of 10||95|
|Mygamer.com||Wii||Nov 23, 2006||9.4 out of 10||94|
|IGN UK||Wii||Dec 07, 2006||9.1 out of 10||91|
|Legendra||GameCube||Feb 12, 2007||90|
|3DAvenue||Wii||Dec 27, 2006||90|
|Legendra||Wii||Feb 12, 2007||90|
|AllAboutTheGames.co.uk||GameCube||Feb 02, 2007||80|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Genre Correction||12||Daniel Saner (3238)
Jul 09, 2013
Nov 25, 2007
1001 Video GamesThe Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
- During development, Midna's hair was red and green, while in the final version it's red but ends in blonde-yellow.
- Although Sheik, Zelda's ninja-like alter-ego from Ocarina of Time, does not appear in Twilight Princess, an updated design of the character was drafted up in its development. He is however available as a playable character in the Wii game Super Smash Bros.: Brawl.
CharactersThroughout the game you'll encounter the strange Shadow Beasts (the dark blue/black coloured humanoids with the bizarrely shaped disc-heads and tentacle hair). However, in two cut-scenes, you can see two big Shadow Beasts with differently designed disc-heads flanking Zant like bodyguards.They don't appear in-game as enemies.
GlitchThere is a bug in a room with a big cannon Link can use to warp. If you save in that room, an invisible character won't let you leave, but he can't be spoken too. Link can't transform into a wolf either. Customers could return the disc to Nintendo to have it replaced. A video of the glitch is available in the related links section.
Inside ZeldaNintendo of America's official magazine, Nintendo Power, published a monthly series of articles called Inside Zelda, which revealed how the game was developed. The series can be read in its entirety here.
- The Oocca race appears to be inspired by M.C. Escher's painting Another World.
- The masks worn by the Ancient Sages resemble those worn by chorus members in Ancient Greek dramas.
- if you look around the fishing hut, the owner, you'll see an old black and white photograph of the Fishing Guy from the Lake Hylia fishing pond from Ocarina of Time. The hut's owner and operator Hena refers to him as the "legendary fisherman" and comments that she may be a descendant of his.
- In Hyrule Castle Town you meet a character named Thelma, who owns a bar in the city and is a fairly important NPC to the storyline. She also owns a cat named Louise, who helps you as well. The two characters are a reference to the movie Thelma & Louise.
- The symbols that represent each Sage are the Six Medallions from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
Version differencesUnlike every other Legend of Zelda game, Link is right handed in Twilight Princess. This is so most people (right handers make up 85% of the population) can make use of the Wii controls in the same hand as Link. Sword in the right, shield in the left. The GameCube version has Link using his left hand as usual. To make the game work for the right handed Link of the Wii, the Wii and GameCube versions of this game have the world map and everything in it mirrored So everything stays the same relative to him.
- GamePro (Germany)
- February 01, 2007 - Best Console Game in 2006 (Wii version) (Readers' Vote)
- February 01, 2007 - Best Console Action-Adventure in 2006 (Wii version) (Readers' Vote)
- 2006 – Game of the Year
- 2006 – Console Game of the Year
- 2006 – GameCube Game of the Year
- 2006 – Wii Game of the Year
- 2006 – GameCube Game of the Year (Gamers' Vote)
- 2006 – Wii Game of the Year (Gamers' Vote)
- 2006 – Wii Adventure Game of the Year
- 2006 – Wii RPG of the Year
Related Web Sites
- Iwata Asks - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (NCL president Satoru Iwata interviews Yoshiyuki Oyama, Keisuke Nishimori, Koji Kitagawa, Atsushi Miyagi, Kentaro Tominaga & Aya Kyogoku of Nintendo EAD's Software Development Department.)
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Official game website)
- Twilight Princess Cannon Room glitch (A video demonstration of the glitch in the cannon room, see the trivia item for more information)
- Wikipedia (The article on The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess at Wikipedia)