🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > GIVE US THE OLD SITE BACK

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/17/2013 12:52 AM · Permalink · Report

Corn Popper and bosses from GF: have you read anything of what people have posted here? Do you realize that you have exposed yourself to public shame and ridicule, driven away contributors, ruined a website that was precious to many?

If you ever answer this, don't do it with your usual meaningless corporate platitudes. Better yet, don't answer. Just revert to the old design. That's all we ask. Do it now, before it becomes too late and everyone abandon the site. Listen to reason one time in your lives. Prove that you can still be decent people. Thank you.

Donatello (466) on 9/17/2013 1:42 AM · Permalink · Report

I think the most insulting aspect of their behaviour is that they refuse to absolutely communicate ANYTHING. The few words we get are "just wait and see, we will fix things" as if rolled out by some spambot.

If the new design is here to stay, are we promised new features? If not, what's the point, just revert back to the old site.

Cavalary (11445) on 9/17/2013 1:47 AM · Permalink · Report

Oh, we'll get new "features" all right, well placed purchase links for the games available on GameFly, ad backgrounds that open a popup when anyone accidentally clicks outside of the actual site body, possibly auto-filled ad-like entries for new games being sold by GF...

Donatello (466) on 9/17/2013 1:49 AM · Permalink · Report

So how does the approval queue look at the moment? I hope there's no one except for Corn Popper who is approving and no one submitting anything for the time being either. If they want to lose their most valuable asset, then so be it.

Karsa Orlong (151834) on 9/17/2013 7:02 AM · Permalink · Report

PC queue

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Rola (8483) on 9/17/2013 6:34 AM · Permalink · Report

I was unable to find it (with forum being even less usable now) so search for yourself a staff reply to 2010 top approver exodus, which translated to "oh well, new will come".

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/17/2013 7:05 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, they don't give a fuck. That's the worst part of it.

I think the decline started as early as 2007 or so. David Berk, the most communicative and charismatic of the three original owners (I met him personally in New York - great guy) inexplicably and abruptly resigned, leaving behind a cryptic note stating that he disagreed with where the site was heading.

Just checking the wealth of points from the Top Contributors list for that time (oh, well, you can't now - use the archives) will reveal a prosperous, happy, energetic website. Platforms were added regularly, communications were opened, updates and bug fixes were prompt. Bright future was ahead of us.

After David's departure, Jim Leonard and Brian Hirt (the founder and the programmer, respectively) became even more distant, and the site was fully entrusted to Corn Popper, AKA Rob Lim. This marked the beginning of a secretive, non-responsive, totalitarian ownership that grew worse with time.

We became a smaller, but tighter community of enthusiasts, led by Sciere and Kabushi, who were appointed as admins. Thanks to these two the site continued flourishing, because they did everything they could to correct what could be corrected. However, dissatisfaction mounted as repeated requests for more platforms were met with sporadic, unfriendly, and ridiculously illogical negative responses from Corn Popper, who remained the only one with the power to work major changes.

In 2010 Corn Popper and the two founders sold MobyGames to GameFly without any explanation or details revealed. Many key contributors left in protest. The site was effectively put on hold: everything was frozen, but the few that remained continued to enrich the site under the guidance of Sciere and Kabushi. During that time demands for adding more platforms became increasingly aggressive, but Corn Popper ignored them completely.

He finally yielded around a year ago and started adding platforms quickly. That was the last good thing that happened to MobyGames, sort of a final inexplicable recess before death stepped in. Hopes were high again.

Until they were crushed mercilessly in September 2013 with this re-design. RIP, MobyGames!

GTramp (81964) on 9/17/2013 7:29 AM · Permalink · Report

Yes, RIP MobyGames. So fucking sad.

Even if somehow miraculously they reverted the design back to what it was - ask yourself, could you trust them ever again? I think, no.

I feel sorry for the people who have invested so much effort into the site. Just take your lessons folks.

Me? I'm trying to look at the brighter side of things. The whole last year I was becoming more and more obsessed with contributions, to the point where I would spend twice as much time contributing as I was playing games. So sad. Guess games are just games, so fuck it. Fuck it to hell.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/17/2013 8:10 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, researching, classifying, and categorizing something is often a hobby more exciting than actually engaging in a correspondent activity. For me, playing games without seeing the bigger picture - researching their history, collecting information about them, updating my preferences on a visible database, reviewing them - is only half as fun, if not less. I guess same goes for most of us MobyGamers.

Yeah, it's sad. Pity we can't just all meet physically and have some beers together or whatever. The solidarity and the similarity in the expression of our dismay at the re-design would have been touching if they weren't just a reaction to a bad thing that happened to all of us.

András Gregorik (59) on 9/17/2013 8:43 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start YID YANG wrote--]For me, playing games without seeing the bigger picture - researching their history, collecting information about them, updating my preferences on a visible database, reviewing them - is only half as fun, if not less. [/Q --end YID YANG wrote--] Same here. Sometimes I spend hours researching an RPG before I start playing it. If I see that particular game within its historical context, I find it more enjoyable. Recently I find that Wikipedia and even Amazon are good starting places for that research.
Hobbies work best when they're taken really seriously. That is something that jock-type non-geeks will never understand.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/17/2013 8:15 AM · Permalink · Report

If they give us the old site back I will trust them again.

That would equal an apology - the first apology they would issue, compelling us to accept it.

The only problem is that they would never do that. They are heartless robots with their own inexplicable agenda, our cries don't reach them.

SpecMaster (2241) on 9/17/2013 3:03 PM · Permalink · Report

Just wanted to add my views to this in what's likely to be my first and only post. I want the old site back too, just as I was getting to grips with contributing they changed it and now I'm back to square one again.

I had been contributing on ZX Spectrum games with new entries, snapshots, tech-info etc and my snapshots were approved in the midst of this fiasco, well I'm not contributing anymore until this is sorted out. I have no real agenda with anything as I'm only here a month, but I respect the views of those who worked their asses off for years just to get crapped on consistently. This is their final straw, and it shall be mine too.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/17/2013 4:06 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks for the support, we all noticed your excellent contributions during the last month.

We are not giving up, just boycotting - maybe if we persist they will give us the old site back. Don't lose hope, stick around.

SpecMaster (2241) on 9/17/2013 4:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks, I appreciate it, I just tried that's all.

I wanted to be the one to introduce MobyGames to some Spectrum nostalgia that was missing in the wilderness, even the bad ones! But now I feel there isn't a point in doing so, there's too much unrest, people won't approve and contributors are advised to stop. All I'm doing now is putting in my two cents that I have listened and will stop to see what happens. Hopefully justice will prevail.

Fred VT (25953) on 9/17/2013 4:19 PM · Permalink · Report

Worst part is, the easiest way for them would be to actually roll-back to the old desing, and letting the community deal with a potential redesign/implement new features by themselves. That way everyone could have what they want, even the money-bringing functions for GF...

But nooooo, everyone just decides to be stubborn...

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/17/2013 7:13 PM · Permalink · Report

Important point right there, if making the site more lucrative for GF was the goal, that could've been achieved so simply without any of this... well-placed and sensible buy links and ads don't hurt anyone. If the delay for new games is a problem, even something simple like double the contribution points when working on a game released in the last 7 days would have probably taken care of it. Launching an unfinished, untested redesign is not just counterproductive for the site as such, but also any plans of generating revenue that GF might have had for the site.

Karsa Orlong (151834) on 9/17/2013 4:20 PM · Permalink · Report

As far as I can see, there is no point of this action, until someone from GF finds out what's going on here. And I'm pretty sure, they have no clue about this, as Corn does not give a shit to inform them, stating everything is just fine (same attitude right here). As for myself I 'm stoping approval completely until someone will resolve this bullshit. MG is non-functional on either side, each action can cause damage.

Fred VT (25953) on 9/17/2013 4:24 PM · Permalink · Report

The most active approvers in the last months seem to have been Sciere, Yid Yang, Jotaro Raido, MAT, erav and myself.

With most being on strike, one being unable to connect, and only one still approving some stuff (seems like he's not doing the major stuff such as new games and new platforms though), I don't think it will get unnoticed...

Alaka (106111) on 9/17/2013 4:56 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

new games added count:
Aug 29 - 55 !
Aug 30 - 11
Aug 31 - 14
Sep 01 - 2
Sep 02 - 9
Sep 03 - 67 !!!
Sep 04 - 15
Sep 05 - 15
Sep 06 - 1
Sep 07 - 6
Sep 08 - 9
Sep 09 - 14
Sep 10 - 10
Sep 11 - 19
Sep 12 - 13
Sep 13 - 0
Sep 14 - 4
Sep 15 - 2
Sep 16 - 2 (as of this writing)

I wonder how atrocious these numbers are going to start looking in the next two weeks. Can't wait till the message board is filled with Can anyone approve my articles? topics.

Time to start pulling my pending contributions (if it's even possible with how broken the site is). I don't want anymore of my work exploited by these crooks.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 9/17/2013 5:40 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The funny thing is, I would not even have a problem with the new look itself. However, even without the bugs and missing features, the functionality is absolutely ill-conceived. You just can't, I repeat, can't put a new look on a site without thinking through what it means for using it. If the site controls don't work for the new look, like in our case, you either need to adapt the controls or adapt the look. Don't just shit it out and call it a day.

I know, I'm not telling anyone anything new here (well, except that idiotic web designer, but I doubt he ever looked at the site anyway) but I am still furious. Bare with me. And don't get me started at the great programmer who managed to let a few screenshots load for minutes instead of seconds. I think even a trained monkey could do a better job.

I doubt that abomination of a website can be fixed. It is rotten from the core.

Corn Popper (69027) on 9/17/2013 7:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Not my call, I really don't have a say. All I can do and have done is bring attention to the forums.

Alaka (106111) on 9/17/2013 7:22 PM · Permalink · Report

If you can't answer us, get a Gamefly lackey in here who can. What's so hard about that. This has been the worst reveal since XBOX ONE. Microsoft had to learn their lesson the hard way too.

Corn Popper (69027) on 9/17/2013 7:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Did you read what I said? I've been telling them about the response and to check the posts. I can't force them to respond.

If any of you had any corporate experience you know they are big on ROI. They wouldn't tank a site on purpose. They know how valuable the community is... so they wouldn't purposely offend users.

One of the reasons I don't respond much is because many of you have your preconceived perceptions and think that I am just lying which I take personal offense to especially if you knew my background. So instead of arguing and being pity it's better to ignore.

I'm pretty sure I've told this before but we couldn't say anything of the sale of the site because we were under an NDA.

Fred VT (25953) on 9/17/2013 7:39 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--]Did you read what I said? I've been telling them about the response and to check the posts. I can't force them to respond.

If any of you had any corporate experience you know they are big on ROI. They wouldn't tank a site on purpose. They know how valuable the community is... so they wouldn't purposely offend users.

One of the reasons I don't respond much is because many of you have your preconceived perceptions and think that I am just lying which I take personal offense to especially if you knew my background. So instead of arguing and being pity it's better to ignore.

I'm pretty sure I've told this before but we couldn't say anything of the sale of the site because we were under an NDA. [/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--]

That's actually good to know.

Alaka (106111) on 9/17/2013 7:48 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--]Did you read what I said? I've been telling them about the response and to check the posts. I can't force them to respond. [/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--]

I'm telling you/them they better respond and soon. They of course can choose not to and reap what they sow.

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--] If any of you had any corporate experience you know they are big on ROI. They wouldn't tank a site on purpose. They know how valuable the community is... so they wouldn't purposely offend users. [/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--]

See Microsoft XBOX ONE example.

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--] One of the reasons I don't respond much is because many of you have your preconceived perceptions and think that I am just lying which I take personal offense to especially if you knew my background. So instead of arguing and being pity it's better to ignore. [/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--]

Are you fucking kidding me with this shit. Lying...the proof is in the pudding. We aren't blind ya know.

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--] I'm pretty sure I've told this before but we couldn't say anything of the sale of the site because we were under an NDA. [/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--]

Oh by the way, thanks for selling us out behind our back. Yeah, your NDA clause absolves you of any wrongs. What a joke.

Cavalary (11445) on 9/17/2013 9:13 PM · Permalink · Report

You made the decision to sell, accepted their terms and this is the result of that. You don't get to play the victim here.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/17/2013 9:56 PM · Permalink · Report

I understand that, but it doesn't explain the systematic evasion of all the topics the community is most desperately asking about. No one is asking you or anyone else from GameFly to get into an argument, just to talk straight. That an NDA was in place during the negotiations is absolutely understandable – that three years later we still don't know more than when we first noticed the logo in the footer, is not.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/17/2013 10:56 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Whole point of an 'agreement' is that they're 'agreed' upon. Hence the NDA reasoning isn't much of a reason.

That just means that all parties involved agreed to not give a flying fak about the community.

[edit] I'll join the logo switch in a few days, guys. Meine PC is still in the shop.

Corn Popper (69027) on 9/18/2013 4:51 AM · Permalink · Report

Well the NDA said we could not discuss the sale otherwise there is legal action and jeopardize everything.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/18/2013 1:13 AM · Permalink · Report

It's pretty shameless of you to play the victim here, Corn Popper. You are the one who sold the site, you are the one who brought these GameFly people to us. Which means that whatever happens now is your responsibility.

What you should do is apologize, join our side, and fight your best fight to give us the old site back. Nobody is interested in your excuses. Nobody gives a flying fuck about your oh-so-delicate position. Just give us our site back!!

Corn Popper (69027) on 9/18/2013 4:54 AM · Permalink · Report

Well for your info I never had a controlling stack of the site so whether I wanted to sell or not could be done with or without my agreement.

I am advocating for more info to give. I can only give info that I have and I don't have any other than what I have said already.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/18/2013 5:33 AM · Permalink · Report

So basically you are saying Jim Leonard and Brian Hirt sold the site without asking you. Well, Brian isn't around at all, and all Jim can say is "What could I do, we needed to keep it running". Both of you try to avoid responsibility and throw in all sorts of lame excuses instead of admitting that the sale behind our backs was not only unethical, but also - as this re-design shows - disastrous.

Nobody cares whether it was Jim's, Brian's, or your fault. Nobody here is interested in revenge or punishment or shit like that. All we are interested in is having our site back, and sins the GameFly gonzos can't be reached, Jim and you are our only hope.

What I'm trying to say is that both of you should stop lying, whining, finding excuses, and hypocritically defending GameFly. You signed the contract, it's your responsibility to make sure nothing bad happens to the site. Now something very, very bad is happening, and all you can think of are lame and cowardly attempts to wash off responsibility?

Come on. This is not kindergarden. Assume responsibility, apologize, prove to us you are on our side, make those assholes give us our old site back. Why aren't you doing that? You and Jim, why are you letting them ruin the site? Why?

Rola (8483) on 9/18/2013 11:30 AM · Permalink · Report

It also sounds as if the NDA was signed ...when? back in 1999? Oh please, the point is you (staff) didn't say anything before any talks with GF started (read: before any binding agreements).

Trixter (8952) on 9/18/2013 6:05 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start YID YANG wrote--]So basically you are saying Jim Leonard and Brian Hirt sold the site without asking you. ... What I'm trying to say is that both of you should stop lying, whining, finding excuses, and hypocritically defending GameFly. You signed the contract, it's your responsibility to make sure nothing bad happens to the site. ... Come on. This is not kindergarden. Assume responsibility, apologize, prove to us you are on our side, make those assholes give us our old site back. Why aren't you doing that? You and Jim, why are you letting them ruin the site? Why? [/Q --end YID YANG wrote--]

Your facts are wrong. Here are some facts:

• All three of us voted unanimously on the sale.

• I am not employed by GameFly. I cannot apologize or assume responsibility for anything that occurred after the sale.

• There was no verbiage in any contract I signed stating that it was my "responsibility to make sure nothing bad happens to the site". If anything, that is GameFly's responsibility.

YID YANG, your contributions and dedication to the project is commendable, as reflected in your contribution point rating. Very few people have invested as much time and effort into the database as you have. However, I am one of the few people who actually can claim the same (or more) amount of time investment as you, as are Brian and Rob, and a few other contributors. And most of us at that level are being civil and waiting for a response. Your contribution rating certainly grants you the right to be passionate about the future of the project, but it does not give you the right to be as abusive as you have been over the last week.

It has been less than 2 weeks since the change and Rob has already indicated that people inside GameFly are not only aware of the changes, but are working on fixing some of them. For anyone who knows how complex the MobyGames infrastructure is, 2 weeks is not unreasonable for a 1- or 2- person team to implement a lot of changes.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/18/2013 7:49 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Trixter wrote--]It has been less than 2 weeks since the change and Rob has already indicated that people inside GameFly are not only aware of the changes, but are working on fixing some of them. For anyone who knows how complex the MobyGames infrastructure is, 2 weeks is not unreasonable for a 1- or 2- person team to implement a lot of changes.[/Q --end Trixter wrote--]

Fair enough, but you have to admit, this does nothing to explain what they've been doing for the past 8 months. From what I've heard, those who had access to the pre-rollout preview could discern no differences or fixes between then, and what has been put live now.

Fred VT (25953) on 9/18/2013 8:31 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Daniel Saner wrote--] [Q2 --start Trixter wrote--]It has been less than 2 weeks since the change and Rob has already indicated that people inside GameFly are not only aware of the changes, but are working on fixing some of them. For anyone who knows how complex the MobyGames infrastructure is, 2 weeks is not unreasonable for a 1- or 2- person team to implement a lot of changes. [/Q2 --end Trixter wrote--]

Fair enough, but you have to admit, this does nothing to explain what they've been doing for the past 8 months. From what I've heard, those who had access to the pre-rollout preview could discern no differences or fixes between then, and what has been put live now. [/Q --end Daniel Saner wrote--]

Good thing they got someone else on this, because the other couldn't even get a message inbox right...

Trixter (8952) on 9/18/2013 8:43 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Daniel Saner wrote--] Fair enough, but you have to admit, this does nothing to explain what they've been doing for the past 8 months. From what I've heard, those who had access to the pre-rollout preview could discern no differences or fixes between then, and what has been put live now. [/Q --end Daniel Saner wrote--]

I agree, and that is unsettling. But at the same time I don't think it warrants a full-scale revolt. I don't recall this much uproar since 2006 when the creation of "RPG" as a base genre was being debated, and I thought that was pretty heated. (But more passionate then heated.)

Alaka (106111) on 9/18/2013 9:47 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Trixter wrote--] I agree, and that is unsettling. But at the same time I don't think it warrants a full-scale revolt. I don't recall this much uproar since 2006 when the creation of "RPG" as a base genre was being debated, and I thought that was pretty heated. (But more passionate then heated.) [/Q --end Trixter wrote--]

Okay, so you think a a full-scale revolt is unnecessary. So how else do you propose we get our complaints heard? (and not ignored like usual) You know besides what we already tried by asking questions to Corn Popper and being repeatedly told he can't tell us anything because of some contract he (and you) signed behind our back that swears him to secrecy. I guess if you were still a contributor instead of one of the guys who made money off of our hard work, you might understand our frustration a little better.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/19/2013 2:33 AM · Permalink · Report

If you think this abomination doesn't warrant a revolt, then stay in this swamp and keep adding info to it. Most other people hate the new site and are leaving.

How dare you compare this utter destruction with the changes and discussions of the past? We were passionate, we argued, and changes were made. Now we are beyond angry. We are desperate, and we are LEAVING.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/20/2013 12:42 AM · Permalink · Report

I must agree with the others, there is no parallel here to anything the site has been through in the past. There were arguments and opposition. There was a lot of uproar when we began to puzzle together that the site had been sold. People were unhappy about how that was handled, and some important ones left, which was already a big blow to the site. But work continued, because nothing effectively changed about how the site worked.

There's absolutely no comparing any of that to what happened now. The site is broken. Those who sticked with the site until now begrudgingly accepted the repeated message that their opinion didn't matter; but now the message is that they're not even wanted anymore. There are no arguments here, no sides, and no discussions. The community isn't revolting at a decision they disagree with, they're surrendering! We complained and asked and listened and begged, and the only signal we're getting is loud and clear: any work you continue to do on the site now will be in vain. Why should people stay?

I understand that you basically want the same thing as us, you want your site to be okay and live on, and for people to stay, and you hope that it will get worked out. But it seems as though you aren't in a position to bring that about anymore either. I hate to say it, but save for GameFly having a radical change of heart (e.g. as in, complete rollback within the week), it's too late. There is a refugee forum on Facebook, because many won't even visit the forums anymore. People have been on the lookout for, discussing, and started contributing to other projects. I know that UVL has seen a spike in new editors moving over from MG. Oregami has seen an influx in activity from MG members as well, because people have finally realised the value of an openly licensed alternative. The people who kept the database alive have given up and changed ship.

vileyn0id_8088 (21040) on 9/20/2013 3:05 AM · Permalink · Report

Hi Jim! Nice to see that you've weighed in on this.

[q]I agree, and that is unsettling. But at the same time I don't think it warrants a full-scale revolt.[/q] Unfortunately, this isn't quite a revolt as much as it is a general consensus that there's nothing else to do here - the current version of the site is simply fundamentally broken in too many ways. Functionality and content have been outright removed, and what remains is a pain to use (seemingly by design). GameFly may very well be trying their hardest to fix the reported bugs as we speak, but after more than a week of actually trying to use the new MG, it becomes apparent that an emergency measure is needed - otherwise the whole thing will fall apart long before we get anything even halfway functional.

At the very least, the previous site should be reinstated for as long as it take them to fix the issues with the new one. Not only to show that someone's listening - it's simply the only way to keep things usable for the time being. But even that might only postpone the inevitable; ideally, the bug-fixing effort should be abandoned along with the current layout as a whole - following a rollback, a new version would have to be started from scratch. One that's actually designed to work, without ditching functionality willy-nilly and crippling the rest with atrocious design decisions.

And a note to everyone else...

If you happened to look around, you'd know that Trixter is still a hobbyist at heart, who continues to do much for the cause of preserving and documenting games - albeit in other channels. It's not as if he needs me to "defend" him, but some of these allegations (as if he smugly sold Mobygames out just to "get rich off of everyone's hard work") are downright ridiculous from where I'm sitting.

Nobody's satisfied with the current situation here, but let's take care and direct our ire at those who deserve it. I just wish we had a proper way of reaching them.

Alaka (106111) on 9/20/2013 3:40 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vile_r wrote--] It's not as if he needs me to "defend" him, but some of these allegations (as if he smugly sold Mobygames out just to "get rich off of everyone's hard work") are downright ridiculous from where I'm sitting.
[/Q --end vile_r wrote--]

First, what he did is indefensible, so you can't really defend his decisions here anyway even if you tried. What he did was very treacherous to our community and most likely killed it.

Also, are you honestly saying he didn't make money of our work? Nobody claims he got rich here because no one besides the triumvirate and Gamefly knows how much the site is truly worth. Jim claims he didn't get rich off of us, but that's even worse. That means he sold us out for a pittance and the other two got cushy Gamefly jobs.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/19/2013 2:44 AM · Permalink · Report

This is probably going to be my final message. Anyway they are not going to do anything and I'm wasting my time here.

First of all, Trixter, EVERYONE are pissed off about this disaster, not just me. Don't single me out and present me as some sort of a "rebel leader" who incites nice people to do violence. If I'm cursing more than others it's maybe because I've spent more years with the site and contributed or approved more stuff than anyone else participating in the discussion. Sciere, who invested even more than me, is, as you see, absent - probably too speechless, too shocked to see the shit that is happening.

Let's not argue over who spent more time with the site, you or me (though I'm fairly sure it's me, having ten times more points and being active for twelve years non-stop). It's irrelevant. Let's just say that your attitude is hypocrite, cowardly, disrespectful, and shows you don't give a fuck. I'm sure everyone else agree with this evaluation, they are just too polite to say it.

You shouldn't worry about me insulting the poor lamb Corn Popper and the poor tired and totally non-responsible you, both of whom sold the site behind our backs and now desperately trying to find pathetic excuses for themselves and their clients who are ruining it. I wanted to stick around in the forums a bit, but now I don't feel like it any more. I'm packing and leaving. Good-bye.

Thanks to all those other guys who contributed, approved, and gave their time and efforts to this site that once was great and to its owners, who don't care.

Donatello (466) on 9/19/2013 3:08 AM · Permalink · Report

Well said, YID YANG.

It's sad to see such a passionate community dissolving.

I'll keep around a bit, but as soon as I've mined all my personal data (have/want) lists, I'll distance myself from this project too.

Rekrul (49) on 9/19/2013 9:58 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Trixter wrote--]It has been less than 2 weeks since the change and Rob has already indicated that people inside GameFly are not only aware of the changes, but are working on fixing some of them. For anyone who knows how complex the MobyGames infrastructure is, 2 weeks is not unreasonable for a 1- or 2- person team to implement a lot of changes. [/Q --end Trixter wrote--]

Don't you understand that it's not a matter of little bugs here and there that need tweaking? The whole frigging design is bad! It's like throwing black paint on a mural and then expecting someone with a bottle of white-out to fix it.

Stuff like the idiotic new screenshot system which takes forever and a day to load. That isn't a bug, it's a direct consequence of the way the designer decided to implement the screenshot page. He probably figured it looked "cooler" and more modern, never sparing a single thought to how it would actually perform. As a result, it performs like shit and that's not going to change as long as they keep that method of displaying screenshots. The entire site is like that. There are so many bad design choices that fixing it entails chucking the entire design and going back to what worked.

Except that it goes against corporate policy to ever admit that you made a mistake and backtrack. :(

Karsa Orlong (151834) on 9/20/2013 8:58 AM · Permalink · Report

Bullshit Trix. You can not claim anything compared to Oleg, as he did everything for free (countless hours of contributing and approving) and You receive payment for your work at the end. All what Oleg was expecting in exchange was counting in his opinion, to which he had every right. The complete lack of respect and treating him like a dirt caused this behavior. And it's not just him, but the entire community. Oleg is gone, the community is dying and all this happened because all You 3 sold MG few years ago behind our backs without any consulting and than You have hidden this fact for a long time. The current situation is a consequence of MG sale and responsibility is all Yours as You have admitted that You vote for a sale...

[Q --start Trixter wrote--] YID YANG, your contributions and dedication to the project is commendable, as reflected in your contribution point rating. Very few people have invested as much time and effort into the database as you have. However, I am one of the few people who actually can claim the same (or more) amount of time investment as you, as are Brian and Rob, and a few other contributors. And most of us at that level are being civil and waiting for a response. Your contribution rating certainly grants you the right to be passionate about the future of the project, but it does not give you the right to be as abusive as you have been over the last week.[/Q --end Trixter wrote--]

Cavalary (11445) on 9/18/2013 12:36 PM · Permalink · Report

This thing about the NDA and anything following the sale being used as an excuse is complete bullshit. According to Trixter, the site couldn't be maintained by the original group anymore so there was a point where you (collectively) saw three choices: shut it down, sell it, or hand it over to the community, and you chose the 2nd option. This implies that: A) There was a moment where this choice became apparent, and you failed to communicate it to the community and engage everyone in finding the best solution; and B) There was a moment when option 2 was selected, solely by you few, without asking the community which of those options they'd prefer, or even informing them of which one you picked and asking for help in finding and vetting the company you might end up selling to, and the terms of such a sale. This all leads to C) Everything that happened past that point is 100% your fault.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/18/2013 2:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Amen.

That's exactly what sickens me most in their attitude: the constant hypocrite and lame self-justification. The very least they could do is take responsibility for what happened and prevent GameFly from ruining the site.

SpecMaster (2241) on 9/19/2013 2:50 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--]One of the reasons I don't respond much is because many of you have your preconceived perceptions and think that I am just lying which I take personal offense to especially if you knew my background. So instead of arguing and being pity it's better to ignore. [/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--] I get what you are saying but these guys deserve better than that. They worked asses off for this site and they have just been consistently urinated and crapped on with various misdemenors, the sale, the lack of communication with the owners and higher ups, this, it is demoralising for them and they right now need, and frankly deserve answers.

Now I am not going to be one to constantly post about this because Id rather mind my own business as I am only here one month compared to some of the others but your lack of information and lack of communication towards these guys is offending given how much work YOU have put into this site yourself. You are clearly hiding something and if you care and appreciate YOUR work as well as theirs why not be co-operative with them? We are a COMMUNITY right? We're in this together aren't we?

Fred VT (25953) on 9/19/2013 12:44 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start SpecMaster wrote--] [Q2 --start Corn Popper wrote--]One of the reasons I don't respond much is because many of you have your preconceived perceptions and think that I am just lying which I take personal offense to especially if you knew my background. So instead of arguing and being pity it's better to ignore. [/Q2 --end Corn Popper wrote--] I get what you are saying but these guys deserve better than that. They worked asses off for this site and they have just been consistently urinated and crapped on with various misdemenors, the sale, the lack of communication with the owners and higher ups, this, it is demoralising for them and they right now need, and frankly deserve answers.

Now I am not going to be one to constantly post about this because Id rather mind my own business as I am only here one month compared to some of the others but your lack of information and lack of communication towards these guys is offending given how much work YOU have put into this site yourself. You are clearly hiding something and if you care and appreciate YOUR work as well as theirs why not be co-operative with them? We are a COMMUNITY right? We're in this together aren't we? [/Q --end SpecMaster wrote--]

Even I, who consider myself pretty enthusiastic and optimistic, am wondering if I'll stick around if thing get better. I was just starting getting really involved around here, and even with limited time I could do this much...

And what kept me around was mostly the community, how we could make the best out of this database together, but it's getting empty now..

Rekrul (49) on 9/19/2013 9:44 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--]Did you read what I said? I've been telling them about the response and to check the posts. I can't force them to respond.

If any of you had any corporate experience you know they are big on ROI. They wouldn't tank a site on purpose. They know how valuable the community is... so they wouldn't purposely offend users. [/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--]

You want to help?

Go to the idiots at GameFly and tell them that the redesign has killed the site. Tell them that unless they roll back the changes, they might as well shut the site down because nobody is going to be using it anymore. Nobody will contribute, nobody is going to be browsing it, nobody is going to be posting in the forums.

Don't try to sugar-coat it, don't use words like "probably" or "might", tell them that they shot the site through the heart and that it's bleeding out on the sidewalk.

Because unless they want to pay someone to add new entries to the database and write user reviews, that's exactly what's going to happen.

Make them understand that all of the people who add value to the site are going to leave. Not a few, not several, not most, ALL of them! They're going to be running an archive of outdated, abandoned content. Is that what they want?

Walk into their office (virtually if necessary) and say "Unless you change the site back, Moby Games is finished. Over, finito, stick a fork in it, it's done. Game over man! Game over!"

Actually, tell them that unless they revert the changes, they're going to lose money. Maybe THAT they'll understand!

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/18/2013 1:16 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Do you even read what you write, man? "Not my call"... First selling our site, then washing your hands off whatever filthy crime those GameFly people do to it. If MobyGames were Jesus you would be Judas and Pontius Pilate in one.

Karsa Orlong (151834) on 9/18/2013 6:19 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Oh guys, I guess we all really missed the point right now. According to Corn's declaration about this NDA it may all means, that GF has a plan to change the MG profile in the more or less near future and this so called re-design is just a first step. More changes are coming and these not including community is involved at any point. Corn know the future but he just can not tell, as this will break our community just now - that's why one of the founders left the site a few years ago. Something bad is about to happen, but bad for us, not for Corn - as he make a deal with GF few years ago and approve the comming changes - including this re-design destruction stage.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/18/2013 10:29 AM · Permalink · Report

Summary: All future changes will not involve the community as a primary reference for quality control.

Yeah, let that sink in for a minute, guys. Is this a paying gig? Oh, remind us what we're doing here again? Community collaboration?

Right....

Trixter (8952) on 9/18/2013 6:11 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start erav wrote--]Corn know the future but he just can not tell, as this will break our community just now - that's why one of the founders left the site a few years ago. [/Q --end erav wrote--]

That information is incorrect. No founder left because of the reason you list above.

Donatello (466) on 9/18/2013 6:24 PM · Permalink · Report

Who cares about things getting fixed if this atrocity was dumped on us without a warning, the trust of community (the foundation of MobyGames) has been broken and the people in the top still appear to have no long-term vision for the site, at least one that could be properly communicated to us.

I'd hope that by this time people have learnt something about the basics of public relations, but it seems I'm too optimistic.

Corn Popper (69027) on 9/18/2013 6:22 PM · Permalink · Report

The NDA was about the sale of the site, nothing could be said prior to and for a time after the sale.

I don't know the future of the site exactly, but I know it's not to ruin it.

GF doesn't exactly listen to me as they can do whatever they want. I didn't approve the push of the site, if they asked me I would have said not to. All I could do was watch the fallout happen.

Tomas Pettersson (31846) on 9/18/2013 8:36 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--] I don't know the future of the site exactly, but I know it's not to ruin it. [/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--] They are doing a great job hiding that intention.

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 9/19/2013 12:27 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--]The NDA was about the sale of the site, nothing could be said prior to and for a time after the sale. [/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--]

Ok, so the NDA covered the sale, fair enough. So why keep shtum after the sale? Why not pop into the forum and state the who's, what's, when's and why's of the sale instead of leaving us to say "hold on a jiffy, whats with the GF logo"? Why not give the whole community more information about when and how the redesign would go up?

I appreciate that your naval duties are prohibitive to keeping in the gamefly loop and passing news onto us, but you could of still made a lot more effort than you have, and in doing so, taken a hell of a lot less flak than you have.

Rola (8483) on 9/19/2013 8:18 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--]GF doesn't exactly listen to me as they can do whatever they want. I didn't approve the push of the site, if they asked me I would have said not to. All I could do was watch the fallout happen.[/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--] See, that's the problem, and even you are admitting it.

Back when the website was in the hands of its founders, we - the community - could ask for changes, complain if something went wrong etc.

And now the sole community manager says to the community "my higher-ups won't listen to me, boo-hoo - they do what they please". That sums it up: we don't know what they're planning because there is no communication, we don't have a voice in their decision process, they can change what they want and we can't do anything about it.

This is why people are leaving. It's not about details like "website is too narrow", but the attitude, the way we're treated.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/19/2013 5:45 AM · Permalink · Report

Well, I guess we can all agree this was handled brilliantly. My work is done here.

transforms into a little red imp and gleefully skips back to Facebook, whilst whistling a happy tune

karttu (5511) on 9/19/2013 12:43 PM · Permalink · Report

Ok, so I haven't visited MobyGames for some time now and today, when I finally do, I find this mess. Reading these comments makes me even more sad. Now my contributions are nowhere near Oleg's but I have been around over 10 years and I'm also a long time approver so I also have a deep attachment to the site.

Redesigns are always tricky. If this redesign proves that we can finally get advanced features more easily, then it was a successful redesign. Time will tell.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/20/2013 12:21 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start karttu wrote--]Redesigns are always tricky. If this redesign proves that we can finally get advanced features more easily, then it was a successful redesign. Time will tell.[/Q --end karttu wrote--]

Hate to smash your optimism, but it took them three years to get done what you see right now. After taking feedback and bug reports, it took them eight months to... do absolutely nothing. For three years, when new features were suggested, we were told "after the redesign". And now there is virtually no feature left on the site that hasn't been made broken or unusable in some way. Looks are a matter of taste and something to get used to, but functionality-wise the new site is a huge step backwards in every respect. Before any new features, someone would need to fix all of this, and if anyone is even working on that – which I still highly doubt despite Corn Popper's claim to the contrary, as the only fix I've seen in almost two weeks is the avatar sizing in forums (that must have been a hard fix!) – then at this crawl it would take them several years just to get it near to what the old site already was all along.

It took not even two weeks of complete radio silence by GameFly for most of the active core of the community to leave. How active do you think will the site still be one month, one year from now?

A rollback would have been the only lifeline, but even for that it is too late now. If your site is community-based, and you implement a change that breaks the community features, there is no alternative: you need to roll back your changes ASAP, get your shit working on a closed test server, and then put it live again.

Katakis | カタキス (43087) on 9/19/2013 11:26 AM · Permalink · Report

It is sad to see my fellow contributors go only thanks to the idiots at GameFly.

Remember the MobyStandards that was posted on the main page? Up until then, I posted new game entries, but there was a line saying "Main title should be the American name" or something, therefore one of the game entries was for "Gaplus" but that was whipped back to me, and I had to change the name to "Galaga III" (the U.S. name). I stopped contributing new game entries after that.

I still enjoyed writing reviews and walkthroughs, but that had to stop. Too many bugs prevented me from doing so. Looks like I have to sign up to GameFAQS and re-write all my reviews/walkthroughs.

Fuck you, GameFly, fuck you.

BostonGeorge (751) on 9/19/2013 11:29 AM · Permalink · Report

After 1 week I've been using the new site and their "functions" and really trying to get along with the new "design" I have to say that nearly everything is a step back from what it was before. The worst thing is that the main content (imo), the user-Reviews are so well hidden on the main and on the game pages that this a slap in the face for the contributers.

For example, the game browser is more complicated than before and the "View all" button is a joke. And the waiting for the screenshots section is not understandable - well that's a problem that can be fixed easily though.

I worked as webdesigner for many years and I know that complaining on a design who was created by other designers is kind of an illness in this industy. But THIS is not "form follows function"! It's not even "form" neither "function". It is more taking the cheapest webdesign company or the Bosses cousin and let them adjust a generic template, for what reason ever.

This site has nothing more to do with a site of character - it is generic crap. To work with it is less effective (and slower) than before.

I decided to stay as a user who sometimes contributes stuff and who is understanding the problems that the approvers are facing and that it can take months before one gets an answer. I really can live with that. And I still like the Idea and the community of this site. And I think no one cares if I will leave ;)

But REALLY - either bring back the old design or make a complete new one. And don't be afraid of colors. They can be your friend!

ps. And give me an option to view at my have list as a whole list and not several pages with thumbnails.

Katakis | カタキス (43087) on 9/19/2013 12:16 PM · Permalink · Report

And even there is a problem viewing cover art now. Whenever you view one after clicking on the thumbnails, it seems to be at a fixed resolution, displayed in such a way that you have to squint to see what is on the back cover.

Like you, I really liked the old site before it was messed up.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/20/2013 12:08 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Katakis wrote--]And even there is a problem viewing cover art now. Whenever you view one after clicking on the thumbnails, it seems to be at a fixed resolution, displayed in such a way that you have to squint to see what is on the back cover. [/Q --end Katakis wrote--]

Can't you click on it to enlarge? This still works for me.

Katakis | カタキス (43087) on 9/20/2013 2:15 AM · Permalink · Report

You can click it, but it displays the image separately at the same resolution. You can make your browser zoom in on the image (In Firefox, anyway), but you didn't have to do this in the old design.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/20/2013 10:25 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm not sure if this happens differently for me or whether I misunderstand you. After clicking a thumbnail, I get a scaled-down version of the large resolution in the crippled layout. This used to be full-scale, that's true. But if I click that scaled-down image, the large resolution image opens properly in a new window for me (on Firefox 23).

Giu's Brain (503) on 9/20/2013 7:52 AM · Permalink · Report

For the past 2-3 days I couldn't even log back into this piece of cr*p. I have to wonder if someone actually looked into this problem or if somehow the planets aligned to let me back in.

No matter. I've decided to "park" my account, for what it's worth, since there's no way to delete it. It's not as if I had a ton of contributions to the MG and, doubtless, no one in power will actually care. It's just my small way of showing support to other long time contributors that have done far more for this site than I ever could have and that have already left.

MrFlibble (18234) on 9/20/2013 1:52 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Having joined the community roughly a year ago, I've only started to enjoy the activities MobyGames offered to contributors. It makes me sad that people leave, and that the site is effectively broken in its key features.

Before I joined the site, I have used it for several years as the primary source of information about games (I'm mostly interested in DOS and early Windows titles from the nineties). The Game Browser was an excellent tool both for finding specific games and for researching entire genres. After the redesign it's nearly completely unusable due to horrid layout choices and because everything is so slow and poorly organized. I'd say that now it takes about thrice as much time to get an average filtered list (e.g. "DOS adventure games with top-down perspective in a medieval setting") compared to what was before the redesign, and the resulting lists are inefficient and hard to navigate, with limited sorting options and sub-optimal layout. Whoever designed this just did a very lousy job, ruining something nice. Way to go GameFly, way to go!

Fred VT (25953) on 9/20/2013 7:51 PM · Permalink · Report

So, when is the old design put back online?

I'm dying to contribute a lot of stuff, but... Quality over quantity, right?

I guess that motto is used as its best right now: http://www.mobygames.com/stats/recent_entries

MrFlibble (18234) on 9/20/2013 8:10 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start The Last Approver wrote--]I guess that motto is used as its best right now: http://www.mobygames.com/stats/recent_entries [/Q --end The Last Approver wrote--] I won't complain about how slow this page was loading but it's really hard to quickly grasp the relevant information there, which in this case is when the entries were added.

You can't even compare the way it is organized now (if "organized" is even an appropriate word in such circumstances) with the way it used to be.

You know what, I can't believe someone would willingly discard the old design and replace it with current nonsense. This is hideous.

Fred VT (25953) on 9/20/2013 8:22 PM · Permalink · Report

You know what? I have a new theory:

MG is actually going through a time paradox. The "new design is actually the old design" that has been switched because of that time paradox. What we're actually asking now is for the new redesign that we had been promised two years ago. Gamefly doesn't understand that because they are out of the time paradox and think we actually have that design already and wonder why we wand the old bugged design back.

Now they try fixing the bugs we're pointing at, but since these bugs are in the other version, they can't fix it!

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 9/21/2013 9:46 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Just poped onto MG to check the forums, and there's an advert promoting a job search site for web designers.

Hows that for ironic.

Fred VT (25953) on 9/21/2013 11:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Everyday I notice more and more parts of the site that are broken. The new web designer is wasting his time trying to fix it, it just won't do. Rollback to the old site seems to be the only viable option...

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 9/22/2013 12:57 AM · Permalink · Report

Hai, guise!

My, my! What a clusterfuck.

[Q --start The Last Approver wrote--]The new web designer is wasting his time trying to fix it, it just won't do.[/Q --end The Last Approver wrote--] Indeed.

[Q --start The Last Approver wrote--]Rollback to the old site seems to be the only viable option...[/Q --end The Last Approver wrote--] A rollback, as you well know, won't change two major problems:

• Corporate ownership of the worst kind.
  • The old site's obsolete concept and data structure.

• And both problems would need to be fixed to counter MG's serious stagnation problem.

So stay in touch, pool resources, and start over. Cause I highly doubt Spielefliege's new owners will give you your pet back. Not unless you fork over enough dough or they go bankrupt. And it would be an utter shame to see all this talent and passion scattered to the four winds.

Sebastian Eichholz wrote: An "interesting" effect of the current MG situation is that some people - including you in this thread - are having a look at our ideas at oregami.org.

Interesting indeed.

András Gregorik (59) on 9/22/2013 6:01 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Somebody bring me Sisko! wrote--] So stay in touch, pool resources, and start over. [/Q --end Somebody bring me Sisko! wrote--]

This. You guys need to start a free Wordpress site or something similar. I can guarantee that it won't be compromised.

Oleg, Sciere and Indra should be the almighty admins.

Salvage all the good stuff from this train-wreck site and start building it.
    Don't even waste your energies on this here forum.
    For what little it matters, I'll write reviews for that reborn site every week.

Make it real, dudes!

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 9/22/2013 8:43 AM · Permalink · Report

Well, thanks for selling us out. I hope you made a good amount of money and believe your own pathetic excuses.

Fred VT (25953) on 9/22/2013 12:03 PM · Permalink · Report

That other site has yet to go online though. But it is very promising. I wish someone could start one like that overnight XD

Konstantin Marchak on 9/22/2013 12:24 PM · Permalink · Report

Great dead sites: demonoid, underground gamer, ... mobygames. Killing sites by redesigning them - it's fresh, innovative, creative, surrealistic and STUPID.

ratpizza (75) on 9/22/2013 2:06 PM · Permalink · Report

It is sad and ironic indeed that my first ever post (and probably last) in this forum is to lament the miserable state of this once great site:( I was shocked to discover the reedesign of Mobygames, it is nothing short of an INSULT to the community and all it's users. I feel sorry for all the folks who have contributed and worked hard on this site for years. The way Gamefly and MG: previous owners have treated them is indeed shameful and lousy beyond description. SHAME ON THEM!

Rekrul (49) on 9/27/2013 6:42 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Konstantin Marchak wrote--]Great dead sites: demonoid, underground gamer, ... mobygames. Killing sites by redesigning them - it's fresh, innovative, creative, surrealistic and STUPID. [/Q --end Konstantin Marchak wrote--]

Adrenaline Vault - One of the best game review sites. Redesign deleted all the old reviews (which were very well written) and when they were finally put back online, they were just lumped together so that they could only be accessed by specifically searching for them. And when you did find them, the screenshots were broken and the reviews were no longer divided into pages. Site seems to be dead now.

Games Domain - Had a nice colorful design, then got a redesign with all pastel blue and white. Looked like a site for appliances, not games. Then it was sold to Yahoo, who deleted all the hundreds of game reviews to turn it into a crap site about causal games. Now it's been turned off and redirects to a blog.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/27/2013 4:38 PM · Permalink · Report

GamesDomain was my first regularly visited games website, and it was pretty awesome. Still a regular destination via the Internet Archive. Now I think the only site that reported from this far back and is still around is Blue's News.

Imagine if newspapers worked the same way as people are treating videogame reporting. "What the heck, we're still archiving articles from 1851? What a waste of space. Get rid it, nobody even remembers that stuff anymore." Change '1851' to 'three years ago' for videogame websites.

Donatello (466) on 9/27/2013 4:32 PM · Permalink · Report

What? Demonoid and Underground Gamer were taken down for other reasons than redesign.

patrick selten (2378) on 9/27/2013 4:41 PM · Permalink · Report

I really hope this site will come out of it's current crisis. I always used this site to search for info, covers and screenshots. I've added a lot of covers to complete the database, and all you get now is those endless loading pic when looking up games. I'm not willing to leave yet, but i hope things will get fixed soon.

Rik Hideto (473489) on 10/1/2013 1:56 AM · Permalink · Report

So... I'm reading the MobyGames forum for the very first time.

Yeah, this "loading pic" thing (and ETC) sucks. The new logo is a... piece of sh... Clap Clap to the person who made it, you have my deep respect. -__-

What is MobyGames without contributors like YID YANG?

You all know the answer.

Ƒreddƴ (5833) on 10/1/2013 12:10 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start hydao says BYE wrote--] What is MobyGames without contributors like YID YANG? [/Q --end hydao says BYE wrote--]

More family friendly?

I kid, know hentai is only a small fraction of what he contributed.

Indra was here (20755) on 10/1/2013 3:18 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start abandoned moby b4 it was cool wrote--] [Q2 --start hydao says BYE wrote--] What is MobyGames without contributors like YID YANG? [/Q2 --end hydao says BYE wrote--] More family friendly? [/Q --end abandoned moby b4 it was cool wrote--]On the internet? Even the conservatives have given up on that idea. :p

I dunno if I should be envious or saddened by kids today. Nah, envious. My puberty was a nightmare. :p

PCGamer77 (3158) on 10/1/2013 4:01 PM · Permalink · Report

I too was going to come to the Mobygames forums more than a week ago and ask "WTF just happened!?" But a lengthy and tiresome bout of illness had prevented me from doing so until now.

It is very sad to see the fallout of all this. I've never been an approver or anything close to a top contributor, but I've been a member of the Mobygames site since way back in Y2K, so I have significant sentimental attachment to it.

The major players in this ongoing ruckus--Jim Leonard, Rob Lim, Oleg, Indra--have all been nothing but friendly to me over the years. Jim Leonard was particularly gracious and patient with me in those early days when I badly wanted to contribute, but didn't really have a clue as to what I was doing. So I have no dog in this fight--other than my own. And therein may lie the problem.

I've never liked using the "stakeholder" model to think about most enterprises, in which people are financially compensated for their work. But I'm afraid it may apply to something like Mobygames, which was never owned by "the people" but was always made to feel that way.

I long ago gave up on being a significant contributor because I didn't have anything CLOSE to the commitment of the top contributors. And yet I still felt that I had spent more time contributing than I really should have! That right there was sign of the huge emotional investment that the core community had made in the Mobygames project, and how they would never have taken kindly to major changes without their consent--regardless of any legalities.

Looking back, I wish contributions had been capped so that none of us users would have been sucked into thinking that Mobygames was really "our" website, when that was just an illusion. Maybe that would have averted this kerfuffle, and it might have made the site better too. A larger, and broader, segment of the gamer public would have had to step up to really make Mobygames work.

As things have played out, your typical GameFly customer probably thinks that GameFly created Mobygames and all of its wonderful content. We old-timers will cry in our beer, while Joe Gamer will just go right on, always expecting Mobygames content to be a free lunch.

piltdown_man (236385) on 10/2/2013 8:19 AM · Permalink · Report

Sorry to hear you've not been so good, welcome back.

I too have had nothing but help from reviewers an others on the site. Joyvally was especially helpful when I first started, it was his encouragement that kept me going at one point, and later Jeanne, Mr Bregger, erav and many others.

Don't really agree with your capping idea, or else I misunderstand. I am motivated by seeing my points mount up. I used to set targets and see if I could beat them, the two big targets left are to become the top scoring UK contributor and to make it to the top ten. It's more about persistence than commitment.

If moby does get fixed will I still contribute? Don't know. I've joined a few other games databases now, well I made the mistake of trusting in just one database once, and they all have a good, passionate community, there's a good thread on the forums that discusses moby alternatives. I think it will become a question of where I feel most 'at home'.

Rik Hideto (473489) on 10/15/2013 11:55 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm going to start uploading more Super Famicom covers. I'll see when the images will be approved. Probably in 2030.

Greg2600 on 10/6/2013 9:28 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm sorry but did the designers of this site take a trip back in time 15 years and bring this design back with them? This is a maybe the WORST web design I've seen in that long a time. Disgraceful. Absolutely disgraceful.

Journeyman (820) on 10/22/2013 8:44 AM · Permalink · Report

It's been years since I contributed anything but I agree with the criticism. New design is unusable.

Ricky Derocher (22661) on 10/25/2013 9:18 PM · Permalink · Report

I've been a MobyGames contributor since 2005 and I'm currently ranked the 56th top contributor. And I must say that the new site design is pitiful. Why is it so stinking slow? When I go to the screenshot section of a game it takes forever to load in the thumbnails - like 1-2 minutes for some games, and I have a reasonable fast computer plus really fast internet connection so it can't be blamed on my computer setup. Plus what happened to double sizing screenshots when you clicked on them?

This new site design totally stinks, and is anybody even checking submissions anymore? I sent in some over a month ago, and so far, no response.

I'm starting to regret spending so much time over the past years collecting screenshots for MobyGames if they are just going to go and mess everything up. :-(

Parf (7873) on 10/28/2013 8:12 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm not 100% certain, but I think at this point there's at most one approver left. The rest of us gave up a while ago. Giving fresh blood transfusions are useless if the patient is already dead.

Fred VT (25953) on 10/28/2013 12:34 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Parf wrote--]I'm not 100% certain, but I think at this point there's at most one approver left. The rest of us gave up a while ago. Giving fresh blood transfusions are useless if the patient is already dead. [/Q --end Parf wrote--]

Since MAT resigned, I doubt erav will go on bu himself... So at this point I believe there is no approver left at all :/

Karsa Orlong (151834) on 10/28/2013 1:07 PM · Permalink · Report

As I have stated before I will stay until the end of this year - as I want to go through some pre-design contributions (just for respect for those who had contributed, don't see the reason to punish them for GF actions agains MG). But that's only 5 platforms, don't have the access to all of them.
    Still there are few part-time approvers left - enough for new contributions, as there are just a few (less than 10) contributors at a time.
    Personally, I finished my contributions as there is nobody to approve them. But I have contributed almost all I wanted, just 4 Atari games left (can't add company so can't add the game entry).

MrFlibble (18234) on 11/10/2013 10:05 PM · Permalink · Report

All of this is really very sad.

Parf (7873) on 11/12/2013 5:49 PM · Permalink · Report

I can only agree. It takes a special sort of talent to totally make a site devoid of users this quickly. And it's a shame to let this valuable sit rot... But I guess they made their decision.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 11/13/2013 5:09 AM · Permalink · Report

They've really got the Yahoo! touch. Or maybe EA would be a better game-related touchpoint?

A.T. (66) on 11/14/2013 4:38 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I have waited for 2 months, hoping that something would click in the minds of current owners and the site would be changed back. But they are obviously not interested. Have those ignorant bastards ever given any reason for not returning to the old functional site, or is it just "We made it like this, so eat it or get out"? Was it their original plan to get rid of all visitors and contributors? Because even if they fix all bugs, it will still be a pain to use or even look at. One must be really desperate to work on improving of something that is wrong from the very start.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 11/23/2013 4:48 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start A.T. wrote--]I have waited for 2 months, hoping that something would click in the minds of current owners and the site would be changed back. But they are obviously not interested. Have those ignorant bastards ever given any reason for not returning to the old functional site, or is it just "We made it like this, so eat it or get out"? Was it their original plan to get rid of all visitors and contributors? Because even if they fix all bugs, it will still be a pain to use or even look at. One must be really desperate to work on improving of something that is wrong from the very start. [/Q --end A.T. wrote--]

Don't worry, they're not that desperate. Nobody is working to fix anything anymore. Otherwise we would have seen one or two changes since the day the redesign went live. It's been more than two months, and they haven't touched the site since.

Nothing will happen, as the owners have not the slightest interest in the site, they don't care if it goes dead. The only value it ever had to them, it keeps as a corpse: a lot of unique content that lures search engines, which makes for valuable ad space. It's completely inconsequential that GameFly is even in a related business; it wouldn't have made a difference if they purchased a stamp collector's website instead. They immediately pulled any manpower from the site and reassigned them to projects they actually run.

While having the gall to try and make us believe otherwise, of course—it's laughable, I'd get more done if I dedicated 10 minutes of spare time a week to a project. So no, they haven't given any explanations, and they don't need to. One bugfix and three sentences in the forums in two months, that tells you all you need to know about how much the demise of the site bothered them (if they even noticed).